Blue Birds in Wyze Bird House

Little buggers are persistent. Cleaned the house and within 30 minutes they are picking up the old nest material and putting it back in the house. Finally decided enough was enough. Opened the birdhouse and 3 sparrows flew out. Took the birdhouse down and found an old wasp nest inside. Going to put a v3 in tonight like the other bluebird house and when I see a sparrow inside, the siren will scare it out. Hoping conditioning will eventually keep them away.

As for the wasp nest, I read if bar soap is applied to the roof of the birdhouse, it will be too slippery for a wasp to attach a nest.

2 Likes

Swapped the v2 with the v3, mainly for the siren feature to scare the sparrows out of the birdhouse.

2 Likes

Now you have to post a clip of the siren in action. :rofl:

2 Likes

@mvb

Of course. No action since the swap.

1 Like

Bluebird on our feeder!
Edit: Not a Bluebird but a Blue Grosbeak.

3 Likes

That looks like an Indigo Bunting.

2 Likes

Thanks, Mike. Well I’m glad you pointed this out. I see now that this isn’t a bluebird at all. When I first saw it on the feeder I thought it was bigger than a bluebird but didn’t think much else about it. It turns out that this is a Blue Grosbeak. It has reddish-brown marks on its wings. They’re also a darker blue than the Bluebird and the Bunting.

The Blue Grosbeak has reddish-brown patches on their wings.

3 Likes

Good catch. I didn’t notice the wings. I only wondered about it because I didn’t think bluebirds were completely blue like that.

1 Like

You’re right because bluebirds have a reddish-brown breast mixed with white. I wasn’t looking close enough on my camera when I first saw him on the feeder (35 feet from the house). I just got real excited when I saw a blue colored bird feeding.

Blue Grosbeaks are pretty rare and you don’t see many of them here in Virginia.

Bluebird

2 Likes

I got my first Wyze cameras late last month and have been moving them around to see which locations work best. A couple of days ago I placed one of my WCO’s on a ledge next to the front door. I got an interesting Person alert this morning. It’s the smallest ‘person’ that has ever visited.

My wife, the bird expert in the family says it’s likely a Carolina wren.

2 Likes

I set up a ‘nest cam’ about a month ago in anticipation of a bird’s nest on a fence pole up against my house (happens often), but the only taker I saw so far continually scoping it out was a Robin, and they were too large to be comfortable there. So I’m thinking about nailing a small piece of plywood to the top of the pole to expand how much space is available for a nest. The chewing damage is due to squirrels.