Beta Testing for Wyze Cam v3 RTSP Firmware Now Available!

but why though? I thought one of the reasons for RTSP is to be able to use the cameras without internet connection…meaning, to be able to completely disconnect them from any type of Wyze servers.
With Blue Iris, there’s really no need to use Wyze app at all.

If they have RTSP, why do they need to connect to Wyze at all for?

So does this mean that even though they have RTSP firmware… if you allow internet connection, anyone from Wyze can view your cameras?

I totally agree with you. RTSP should work without internet.
It could be a bug in the software that when the camera is trying to reach their server every 3 minutes, it fails to transmit the RTSP stream at the same time, which translate to a signal loss for a few seconds ???

I don’t think the video is streamed over the internet all the time, It would consume a lot of bandwidth. The video is only streamed on demand via the Wyze app or when there is motion, if enabled.
The video is encrypted with your username and password, so I doubt that Wyze could see your videos. (even though you used the Wyze app to configure the camera’s username and password)

I just got a new Wyze Cam V3 specifically for loading the RTSP software. No matter what I do, the V3 cam will not give me the purple light while holding the Setup button. The cam has firmware 4.36.3.19. I am using the same 16GB card I used on my V2 cams. I have formatted the card for FAT-32 and loaded the new demo_wcv3.bin file onto the card. The cam is also able to record to this card so I know the card works.

What can I do to get this resolved?

It’s never streamed over the Internet. Using regular Wyze protocol it’s streamed direct from camera to phone (after authenticating via Wyze servers and P2P setup from TUTK). When using RTSP the viewer/DVR is connecting directly to the local IP address of the camera.

Your explanation is right. When I said via the Wyze app, I meant using the Wyze app with the cloud. With RTSP I think that most of us use a local software similar to Blue Iris.
A normal RTSP firmware don’t need the internet, and of course, don’t stream over the internet BUT the original question of @macster2075 was why the V3 RTSP cam needs to connect to intenet (on each power-up) to work properly? Maybe Wyze can answer this.

It would be great if Wyze participate in anyway on this thread Beta thread.

Previously mentioned suggestions for why v3 requires an internet connection at startup:

• NTP startup check
  • Validation with the Wyze cloud on general principles
  • A bug

For users like me who wants the benefit of local streaming without internet (and to keep privacy), this is a big issue.
V2 RTSP works well locally so beside a bug, I don’t see why V3 RTSP should be different than V2.

1 Like

I agree 100%

I thought the issue of V3 on RTSP disconnecting was due to blocking internet…well, I enabled internet and they still do that…but only happens to the v3… none of my v2 on RTSP have any issues at all… they have been rock solid… now Im starting to think this is an issue with RTSP on the v3s.

Did you restart the cam after unblocking? Try that if not.

Also, the disconnections that we’re talking about here due to blocking will happen regularly at about a 3-5 minute interval. If not seeing that, then you may have some other problem.

I did. - but my disconnects are just random, not 3-5 minutes…but only on v3s which are closer to the router than the v2s.

I think I may have found the culprit. I’m gonna give it more time, but I’m pretty sure I have found it.
I remember that after I flashed the RTSP firmware, I also enabled one of the guest networks in my Asus router and I remember it would cause interference issues whenever any of the 2.4ghz Guest Networks was turned On.

Now that I have disabled the guest network, I get no more disconnects at all. I remember having similar issues with an older Asus router I have and since I bought a newer version, I didn’t think this was going to cause the same issue, but apparently it does. The 5ghz doesn’t have this issue with the guest network.

I don’t know why it causes interference with its own wireless network, but I’m glad I remembered this because it’s been driving me crazy.

3 Likes

Try a different card, just because it can see the card and record to it, doesn’t mean it will be able to pick up the firmware. I know it seems wonky, but there it is,

I tried 3 different 64GB cards that all are recognized and can be written to by any of the WC1/2/3 cameras I have, but it would not pick up the firmware until I used a a 4GB card… go figure.

I never saw a purple light (always red as far as I could tell). I repeatedly got the "ready to connect " message. I finally gave up and reconnected to the camera through the app, Then checked Settings → Advanced Settings and was surprised to that the RTSP option was present. Also, Settings → Device Info - Firmware Version = 4.61.0.3 i.e. not sure what I missed in the the process, but I apparently stumbled through it in one of my many attempts.

Just for fun, check the current firmware version.

Oh wow I think you got it. I also have an Asus router (actually 3 in AiMesh). Seems the guest network in 2.4ghz (the second slot, not the first which can share to nodes) causes a problem. Greatly reduced drops from the network with it disabled.

Even in TCP mode with BI.

Well… bad news… the random disconnects came back even after disabling the guest network…so at this point, I have enabled internet connection to all cameras, rebooted them and so far no more disconnects… I really hope its’ not the case that even with RTSP installed, these cameras still require internet connection. I am already looking into getting some Reolinks…but I have to save up for that :frowning:

Yup… was running ok for a bit and now disconnects every few minutes again.

When not blocked mine show the following connections:

52.10.47.174:443 (Amazon)
44.238.126.225:8883 (Amazon)
37.120.216.82:10001 (M247 Ltd New York Infrastructure)
144.48.104.74:10001 (United Kingdom End Of Reality Llc)

The latter two I believe are part of the P2P network and will change to various servers depending on when/where you happen to connect. The same servers also attempt a connection back to the cams on an in-coming port that varies. Not sure why (and why they’d expect that an in-coming port would even be open unless maybe they UPnP a port open where they can). Also searches for a variety of NTP servers until it finds a connection. Probably others that aren’t persistent that I missed. Not sure which of these when missing causes the drop-offs.

Found this which explains the purposes for port connections: