Beta Testing for Wyze Cam v3 RTSP Firmware Now Available!

Not sure what your plans are for the cam, but if you really want to capture license plates then you almost need a dedicated camera for that purpose setup in a way that does that best (to the disadvantage of other purposes when dark). First being to take it out of auto and set the exposure to a much faster setting. The overall image will be a lot darker but you’ll get much better results for things in motion. At night you’ll probably see not much else other than the plate but it will be a good sharp capture of that. Other settings can be tweaked to improve things from there. You have a near perfect location for doing that if you wanted. Between running the Wyze in color and the Amcrest set better for plates that could work out well.

1 Like

This is great stuff, thanks @YetAnotherDave . In trying to focus (n.p.i.) on substantive differences, in the Amcrest photo you can nearly make out the driver’s head reflected in the sideview mirror.

When you watch the motion video is the plate discernable in either camera?

On a brighter day, with a slower vehicle, I can clearly read a license plate (my own :wink: ) on the Amcrest but not on the Wyze.
I cant’ read the Amazon van license plate with either camera, I’ve viewed the video clips a number of times, They’re too blurry. I also think it is somewhat washed out by the red glare of the break-lights.

I think I’ll try @MikeA 's suggestion to set a faster shutter speed. If I get good results, I just might leave both cameras in place. Maximum geek factor. OpenAPLR any one?

1 Like

Note that you can have different exposure settings for day and night (the day/night pull-down at the top of that page). Maybe try starting at 1/60 on Manual for night which will make it darker but you’ll still see something with IR on. Looks like vehicles won’t be going all that fast on that road so might be enough. Can take it up from there as needed. Can improve things once you get the exposure close with brightness/contrast/gamma. Taking gain, sharpness and NR down a hair can help reduce motion artifacts. At the bottom of the list of manual settings is an option to set a min/max range but getting beyond the scope of this forum. Can set IR to manual and boost that too but may wash out things that are closer to the cam. Could also do a walk-through to see how well faces in motion are captured and try to find some happy medium.

That’s really the advantage of the other cams like the Dahua/Amcrest vs the Wyze. You’re able to better control and customize things like this. But Wyze has done a very good job as far as a well optimized color image at night out of the box and for the money it’s very hard to beat.

1 Like

Would someone please explain to me why every thread about RTSP devolves into a discussion about Blue Iris?
I use a mix of cameras including Wyze V2 and V3, BUT am interested in HomeKit integration as accomplished using Homebridge.
For the record other than slow load times, the new firmware works great.
For those complaining as if Wyze has somehow failed, it’s time to wake the F*** UP! You’re dealing with a wonderful camera that you payed almost nothing for, and then the manufacturer came back and handed you firmware that assists you in opting out of their subscription service, and you have the audacity to complain?
Thanks for the firmware Gwendolyn.
Darin

2 Likes

Totally agree and we’d pay for Cam Plus, as well as hundreds of our clients to replace thousands of cameras, if it was needed to have HomeKit compatibility!

1 Like

Hi guys…
So, I got my i7-6700, 16gb ram rig setup with BL and have setup Deepstack and it’s working!
Great improvement on CPU usage compared to my old rig!

Now, I don’t have a lot of experience with intel systems, so I need some help.
I have selected intel+VPP in the settings page as the default… restarted BL, but I still don’t see HA showing up under Status - - do I need to change anything in the bios?

ha

I found what it was… each individual camera had the HW setting set to “No”. Once I set them to default, I can now see “i+” in Status :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed that when viewing the live view on the BL machine, it looks smoother than when viewing it remotely on another PC using the browser.
It’s feels like the fps is lower. I have tried the Web Server setting that controls the fps and I have cracked it to the max that these cameras can do which is 20 fps, so I’ve tried setting the web server to 25 or 30, but it still doesn’t looks as smooth.
Is that normal or I should be able to make them look the same?

Dude, noone at wyze cares. Wyze support is pretty horrible when you have a “supported” official product. Don’t expect anything here, its a beta released just to shut us “RTSP wanters” up.

Look how long this thread is, not once has anyone from wyze chimed in. The conclusion and expectations are clear. They said they’d have RTSP on the v3. There it is, they kept their promise.

Now “break the wrist and walk away”!
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m afraid that you are absolutely right. What bugs me the most about this V3 RTSP version is that it’s not working correctly offline. If you don’t give internet access at power on, it will keep disconnecting every 3 minutes or so. RTSP is supposed to work offline.
I hope they fix this one day…but it will probably be one night in my dreams :upside_down_face:

From my recollection, they did not update the v2 RTSP firmware, though I may be wrong about that. I have zero hope they will ever update the v3 version.

Does it make you feel better to promote an agenda full of only emotions?

There were 3 versions of the rtsp for v2, all unsupported. Some fixes, but still not “fixed” :slight_smile:
At least none of those versions crash BI.

2 Likes

Huh?

1 Like

What an obnoxious post. Why did you bother to write it. Do you have some sort of insider information as to the motives of others, or just an arrogance? Is your life so miserable that it makes you feel good to tear down someone else?
Do yourself and the rest of us a service and delete your post. Maybe find something to do that brings you a little joy, and come back here when you have something constructive to say.

Well, as far as i know, they made two RTSP V2 versions, v4.28.4.41 and v4.28.4.49.
So, there may still be hope for the V3 version.

1 Like

Skycam, just a suggestion, restate your issue. You seem to have accepted as fact that the firmware is defective. I can tell you that it works fine for me. I currently have 5 V3’s all running the RTSP firmware with no issues. As I stated before the load times using the FFMPEG plug-in through Homebridge is slow (5to6 seconds), but using the Wyze app it’s instantaneous.
My guess is you have a router issue. I had problems with the Wyze cams dropping off my network because I have so many home automation devices connecting via Wi-Fi. I upgraded my router and added an access point, and the problem vanished.
This may not be the fix for you, but your only going to get help here if you specifically ask for it.

1 Like

He’s speaking about happens when running RTSP and you block the cams from Internet access (as is fairly standard security practice when running Blue Iris and other non-cloud based VMS). In that case, they’re not going through the router. Intentionally so. For whatever reason, when not given the opportunity to access the Internet to “phone home” on startup, the cams then will continually drop off of the network for a moment about every 3-5 minutes. They reconnect fairly quickly so not that big of a deal but really shouldn’t be happening. They also try continually to access various outside servers for time and other purposes but that’s not seen unless you look at the traffic they generate. You can run them RTSP and unblocked and they’ll stay up fine.

You got it. In my case it will keep disconnecting as long as I don’t give internet access. It could be like 582 times within 9 hours…

Does any one have ffmpeg running on Raspbian with RTSP on Wyze V3?
ffmpeg works for me on Raspbian with Yi (Yi-Hack), Amcrest (standard offering) and Windows on Wyze V3.

Any insight into a working ffmpeg running on Raspbian with RTSP on Wyze V3 would be appreciated.
If it’s a user error, I have a chance of correcting my mistake. If it’s a defect, it appears I am out of luck.

I sense I’m not alone in sharing a sense of frustration listening to the silence from Wyze.