Beta Testing for Wyze Cam v3 RTSP Firmware Now Available!

The V3 is certainly the prettier picture. When I was testing, I had the distinct impression that the shutter speed got very slow in low light…moving objects became smears. Some manufacturers assume that the most important single factor is the ability to identify a face, so they don’t offer any settings that don’t serve that agenda. Others do, though…I have a Dahua camera that I use as a sky cam…it can produce some beautiful time-lapse videos of the night sky. With a shutter speed of 1/3 second, it’s not much use for security, but it’s fun for things that move very slowly.

I did notice that your 5MP camera revealed a lot more detail in the light of day, though. 'Hard to tell without a face or a license plate though. My old Starlight+ camera captured a mail theft event at 2:00 AM one morning, but while the video was impressive at some level, but it wasn’t good enough to ID the face or the plate. All we could tell for sure was that it was a blue Jeep driven by a guy with a medium complexion, dark hair, and brazen enough to open his door and lean out far enough to steal mail from every mailbox on the street. I have better cameras now, so they would probably do a better job if that happened again, but as to whether we could ID the perpetrator, that is less certain.

At the end of the day, that’s what it seems to come down to, unless one just wants to casually observe the world going by.

1 Like

To force color at night on the Amcrest you also need change the setting to color under the night profile. The IR setting operates independently.

Setup > Camera > Configuration > Day & Night > Under the pull-down set night to color.

Don’t expect anything great. While technically called “Starlight” by Dahua (who makes the Amcrest) it’s a smaller, older sensor serving 5MP vs 1MP for the Wyze with probably about the same size sensor so much less light/pixel. As above, Dahua does offer other much better low-light cameras but more expensive.

Both really work better in IR mode without any available light. The Wyze looks cool in color but practically also is limited when motion comes into play and compression degrades the image especially in complex scenes.

2 Likes

I would like to see a small Dahua seminar from you and @Marktx

Your guide worked like a charm on my 2 V3. And no lost connection since 2 days.
The only small problems I have is coming from my rtsp app, it takes 5 sec to pop the feed while my others brands (4 of them) pop momentously.
If ever another update could fix this then it would be touch nut!
Thanks, Sly!

LOL - I don’t think you’d like my seminar very much…all my “solutions” tend to involve cameras that cost ten times as much as the V3! And honestly, that’s the only reason I feel at all comfortable talking about them in the Wyze forum - because the two product lines are not in direct competition.

Has anybody been able to get the audio working on Wyze Cam V3 in Blue Iris. Mine work fine but as soon as I enable audio, the program crashes and won’t work unless I disable audio.

This was posted as a solution for that issue by @Skycam :

It worked for me.

SJ

1 Like

I made the update as you suggested. I’ll report back with new images in the next day or so.

THANKS!

I was able to setup AI motion in blue iris and it’s working pretty good, but I can’t seem to get blue iris app to send me notifications when motion is detected on my iPhone or Samsung devices. I can see the alerts on the app but Im just not getting the notification even though I have set enabled notifications.

Is that part not working yet in the app?

Forgot to mention that under that same tab there’s a Profile selection where you can adjust when and how it goes into day or night mode. May need to change that to make it work as you want. Or you can just force it to full-time color to test. I don’t think that there’s any adjustment that you can make in the firmware for those cams for the sensitivity controlling when it automatically switches day/night mode as on some. Flashing the Dahua firmware might give you that but that’s going way beyond. Just letting you know for possible future purposes. Also, you have more control over the image settings so likely can improve things some vs the defaults. With a little light the quality will improve greatly. Bottom line, still will only be so good. With limited light you kind of need to decide whether you want sort of OK color or very sharp IR. That’s not specific to the Wyze or the Amcrest. Applies to most more expensive cams as well.

Alert notifications work just fine in BI. Go to your camera settings in BI, select the Alerts tab, click on “On Alerts” at the bottom left and choose what you want to do.

I have done that, but the phone does not do anything when an alert is triggered. I can see the alert on the app but I have to open the app to know there was an alert…I would like for the phone to make a noise or vibrate

I know you are looking for Alert notifications, which I don’t do, However this is my setting to notify me (by push message) of profile changes. See if this helps in setting up what you want to accomplish. Make certain that your phone is seen in the mobile settings of BI.

1 Like

Thank you!!! - My phones were listed but did not have a check mark on them…not sure why that was, but once I checked them, notifications started working :slight_smile: , and they are fast too…almost instant…like 2 seconds at most after motion is detected.

I just downloaded Tinycam Pro connected my camera to the app. Now how do I see the events?

[Mod Note]: Post was merged to this topic for consistency in grouping posts in similar topics.

If you mean the Wyze cloud recorded events, TinyCam supports them. Click the triangle “Play” button while viewing the camera, and then switch to the Wyze Cloud tab. This applies only if you are feeding TinyCam your Wyze credentials and not the virtual RTSP credentials. (I think.)

1 Like

This was an interesting exercise. Thanks for the pointer

21:22… it’s dark. house light ON. Amcrest Mode=COLOR

Wyze Color image is better (on top). Neither camera shows much detail down the driveway.

21:25… it’s dark. house light ON. Amcrest Mode=AUTO, IR=AUTO

Wyze Color image ok, but those IR photons give a better view down the driveway

Great. Glad you got it working. Enjoy!

1 Like

More on moderate light + motion blur

Amazon truck leaving ~6PM October 20

Wyze (2MP):

Amcret (5MP)

I realize that with all the cut/paste/resize loses some of the original picture quality, but the bottom line is than without full sunlight, trying to read a license plate from a “fast” moving vehicle doesn’t work with either camera.

…but I won’t be buying a $450USD camera either: Condensation on new G4 Pro

Different day… better lighting. One of the great things about most cameras is that they can send a snapshot(s) when a motion event triggers.

(I obscured the license plate image :wink: )

1 Like