Beta Testing for Wyze Cam v3 RTSP Firmware Now Available!

You can change the protcol in TinyCam, either the cloud protocol, or using RTSP (generic). I would stick with the cloud protocol for the wyze cams in TinyCam as this will work inside or outside your network, and you won’t have to poke holes in your firewall to access them (as you would if you had RTSP).

I’m not an expert here, but I think that BI reads off the camera stream and if it sees 20FPS it will adjust the max rate. Not sure if that’s working as intended or not, seems not if you have an option to set a max, it should lock in at max I think. FPS on the wyze cams can’t be adjusted as far as I know; on the WC3 it’s 20FPS without IR, 15FPS with IR on (at night). The WC2 was 15FPS/10FPS. So while most real security cameras have fully adjustable frame rates (Amcrest for example) these don’t - possibly why, but I don’t know enough about this topic, guessing…

I must admit to a fair amount of morbid curiosity about how Wyze will respond, because in my mind, their response, (or lack thereof) is a big part of the viability of the product. Don’t get me wrong - I’m pretty sure that everyone at Blue Iris knows me by name - I don’t mind blowing them up, but at the same time, I recognize that their support bandwidth is limited, and I really do want them to answer me when I have issues that they are rightly responsible for.

And since I have never seen this exact thing happen before, I think it’s fair to say that Wyze is doing something wrong. In my mind, it would make more sense for some technical person at Wyze to collaborate with the people at Blue Iris.

Practically speaking, it’s not possible to change the FPS from the Blue Iris end - in my experience, it always has to be done from the camera interface…which Wyze doesn’t seem to include in their interface, assuming that one can actually access the interface after doing the RTSP upgrade. I cannot.

That is my experience as well.

I have two fairly good routers…Asus RT-AX86U and RT-AC86U. The wifi signal pretty good, so I dont believe my issue is hardware related. Also, when viewing the cameras all at once on the Wyze app, they run fine. The issue is only when viewing in BL5 and/or Tinycam pro.

I dont have sub on bl5 as I wanna make sure I can use it prior to commit.

Running bl5 on AMD fx6300 and 8gig ram so that should be enough to run 6 wyze cams, no?

According to BI status, my two V3 cams without audio got more than 500 signal loss each within 9 hours, and none for my three V2 cams with audio.
BI Cam V3 Loss os Signal

Im also a little confused about bandwidth utilization. I thought one if the reasons to use rtsp is so that the camera dont need to communicate with Wyze servers as it’s all handled within the internal network lowering the bandwidth impact on the network.

If upload speeds are still being used…for what purposed and where is it being uploaded to?

I see that if I change the connection from Cloud to TCP, then I can’t adjust the bitrate.
So, it’s not possible to adjust the bitrate unless Cloud is selected?.. if not, that sucks!

The main thing I don’t like about using Cloud is stream freezes every 50 seconds or so because it needs to connect to Wyze… and every time that happens, the video freezes for about 4 seconds.

With TCP, that doesn’t happen, but then you can’t adjust the bitrate!

FWIW, I’m not seeing that kind of error rate. I see only one “NoSignal” after three hours. But even that is a bit surprising because my access point is seeing a great -54 dBm signal from the camera.

I believe I may have fixed my issue. I noticed all my cameras were set to HD in Wyze app. So I played around with it between SD and HD and there is very little difference in quality…but there’s a big difference in the amount of bandwidth HD uses compared to SD.

So, I switched all my cameras to SD and all my issues are gone. I have all 6 cameras live, no more freezing or jumping around…my wife even uploaded a Youtube video and it didn’t even notice it at all. I calculated that in SD, I use about 5-5.5 Mbps, leaving me with about 5 which is more than I need for everything else.

But the question I still have is, why does it use so much bandwidth if everything is handled via LAN… or no?

My signal is strong too, and my V3s are even closer than my V2s. The recovery is fast though, about 3-4 seconds. Most of the time the freezing is not noticeable in BI if nothing is moving. I’m recording 24/24.

Exactly what I was wondering. I looked for traffic to/from the camera in my router interface and noticed about half a megabyte of internet traffic over a three-hour period of time. Here is a snip from my router interface:

So then, I blocked access both to and from the V3’s IP address, but it still showed up in Blue Iris, so that begs the question, what is the V3 sending to the cloud? And why? I can, of course, block the traffic, but doing so is made messier because there is no way to configure the camera to use a static IP address…or as least, I didn’t find a way before the camera stopped communicating with the app.

I just confirmed that mine does put some traffic on the internet, but very little. Nothing like a megabit. I consider the a 2MP camera to be low bandwidth by nature. It uses a small fraction of what any of my other cameras use. And I sure wouldn’t want to try to identify someone with less than 2Mp to work with. Particularly with the V3’s very wide lens…it’s already challenged for pixels.

Anyway, if you’re seeing 1Mb per camera, you’ve got something way different going on than I do. Strictly speaking, it should need any internet bandwidth at all to work with Blue Iris.

The main question I have is, if RTSP is handled internally… meaning, even if it uses X amount of Mbps, shouldn’t that be handled by the LAN bandwidth? - Maybe I’m looking at this wrong.

Do I need to block internet access to the cameras completely so my 10 Mbps upload is out of the picture?
My thinking is, let’s say I get 10 more cameras and disable internet on all of them, does that mean I can view them at full HD, but I can only view them from inside my network because of my bandwidth limitation?..the moment I enable internet access on them, then they will start giving me issues because my bandwidth is not enough… is that correct?

Remember that even with RTSP firmware, the camera is still doing all “normal” communicating with Wyze. So for example, if you have alerts set, it will still send them to Amazon AWS.

Yes, the RTSP traffic between the camera and BlueIris (or whatever other RTSP device) will be local to your LAN.

One more thing. If you block the camera from the Internet, NONE of the “normal” Wyze camera functions will work - including the ability to configure the camera or see them on your Wyze app.

Do not rename the file demo,bin for the V3. leave the filename demo_wcv3,bin

Certainly that is the case with every IP camera that I have ever used with Blue Iris, with the possible exception of Wyze. All of my other IP cameras are blocked to/from the internet by firewall rules, so they literally use no internet bandwidth at all.

And I have just proven that the V3 can be blocked and still function within Blue Iris, but I’m pretty sure you’d lose all access via the mobile app. And there doesn’t seem to be any way to configure the camera, other than the mobile app, so that might be a problem. And if we can’t tell the camera where to find a time server on the LAN, which is what makes it practical to block most other cameras from the internet, then at some point, the clock will be wrong, either because it drifts, or because of daylight savings time.

If Wyze answers questions at all, perhaps they will tell us how it’s supposed to act. Because as far as I can tell, the RTSP firmware is completely undocumented

Well, assuming that you can live with the V3 as a normal RTSP camera, then Blue Iris will not require any internet bandwidth at all unless you view from outside of your LAN. If you do view from outside, BI is good at managing internet bandwidth, so if you configure it right, you’ll never need more than the bandwidth required by any single camera, and even that bandwidth is configurable.

I don’t care about any of the Wyze app functionality because Blue Iris already does everything I need it to do, but lacking in embedded web server, the V3 is going be crippled - there won’t be any way to administer the camera. I could probably live without it because even the time of day can come from BI, so once it’s set up and running, I could just block it. Failing advice from Wyze, it’s not clear as to whether that would result in any long-term problems or not.

I’ve been on the fence on buying BL…I’ve been testing it and it’s ok. But mainly I’ve been using TinyCam Pro and it’s been working great… just a few bucks for the pro, but the free one is great it just doesn’t come with web server, which to be honest, it sucks lol. I don’t even use it… tried it a few times, but it’s just way slow. Another reason is besides the $60 for BL, I see you also have to pay another $9.99 for the app?
For that amount of money, it should come with the app.

I like you, not interested on the bells and whistles from Wyze as I always have a monitor viewing 24/7 my cameras and I also use Ring Pro which detects motion at 80+ fee away…super great coverage and it’s instant… as soon I get the notification from Ring, I look at my monitor for the live Wyze feed.

BI is a great product. Curious if anyone has tried iSPY (https://www.ispyconnect.com/)? I have not setup a camera with RTSP yet, but have used iSPY for amcrest camera’s I used to have. I am probably going try this on a couple of spare Camera’s I have.