Beta App and Firmware: 11/12/19

It’s someone’s debugging log being sent to his phone, and not removed prior to the final build :grin:

What now? Are you talking about the source of the cellular leak? Did they pinpoint it? I didn’t see that.

Nah, just kidding, but that’s a possible cause of the data leak. Considering the wrong file was uploaded to a production machine, I wouldn’t be surprised.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sh–… tuff happens. The company just turned 2 years old. They’re still working out the kinks and establishing processes, I’m sure. “Move fast and break things” was Facebook’s official developer mantra for more than a decade. That’s how things work in this world. Innovation requires experimentation. It takes a while to stabilize infrastructure and establish perfect processes, especially when the company is small and they don’t have the resources to test 1000 different real-world scenarios.

1 Like

Hey, I know. I used to work at a startup like Wyze, worked 65+ hours a week.

1 Like

Never in the software world has “Move fast and break things” been a mantra when you are producing a deliverable - NEVER. I don’t want to rip into Wyze, because I think they make a great product, but there is no excuse for lack of Software Development Lifecycle Process (SDLC) - Never! Using the example of Facebook is a falsehood - people are buying the Wyze product to protect themselves, not having a little chat on a social media platform. I am wholly on the side of Wyze, and just wish to point out that this shortcoming is not acceptable to be seen as a ‘mistake’.

It should be noted that the damage was fairly limited. It was only pushed to the beta testers, who had to manually update it, and the update was pulled almost immediately.

But I don’t think they “accept” it. They specifically said that they’ve changed their process based on this incident. Frankly, they’d be idiotic NOT to. The incident cost them real dollars, since it was necessary to replace bricked devices. So I’m sure no one is singing the “unacceptable” tune more than the company itself.

1 Like

Even the big boys have done it. This was a production release. Stuff does happen…

3 Likes

Don’t be so harsh on the Devs (it’s a shame one individual was singled out here, not terribly good form imho). As pointed out in this thread, it happens, and always will. It’s human nature. As a developing business, you should know this. That is why processes must be landed and adhered to. Simple. A basic QA mindset will help protect you from issues like these, through the use of carefully controlled and configured test and staging environments. Partitioned production areas must be subjected to a basic level of acceptance testing before the ‘switch’ is thrown

A post was merged into an existing topic: Wyze App Version 2.6 Releasing Tonight! (11/18/19)

Not sure who you were trying to respond to here. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t me. :slight_smile:

Ha, Sorry DreadPirateRush, was in response to the original posting…

1 Like

Yeah, I even hit the wrong reply button sometimes. :wink:

me too. easy to do.