Beta App and Firmware: 11/12/19

Hello everyone,

This is Arthur, PM of CMC. We’re sorry about the Wyze Cam v2 upgrade issue yesterday. We looked into the cause and found that our developer, after days of hard work and thorough internal testings for this update, uploaded the wrong file for v2 beta release.

To say that we feel silly about this would be an understatement. Moving forward, we have added additional checks and reviews to prevent similar issues from happening again.

FIRMWARE UPDATE

We are going to release the correct Wyze Cam v2 update (version 4.9.5.35) shortly. Here are the release notes:

• Improved the upgrade success rate and reduced the time necessary for the upgrade
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a camera to reboot during the upgrade process
  • Improved CMC performance when audio is turned off
  • Improved CMC video stability under fluctuating internet connection

APP UPDATE

We’re also sending out app version 2.6.40 to Android and 2.6.58 (5) to iOS.

Android:

• Fixed an issue that could cause mic permission not closed after closing the Wyze app
  • Fixed an issue that caused the progress bar to appear in the center of the video when using push notifications to open the videos
  • Fixed minor issues to improve CMC video player performance

iOS:

• Fixed minor issues to improve CMC video player performance

Thank you for your patience and we look forward to your feedback.

7 Likes

out in front of issues and quick fixes as is the Wyze way. thanks for the update!

2 Likes

@ArthurH Awesome. I’ll be sure to upgrade as soon as that’s available.

I mentioned it in another thread, but have you guys noticed that with CMC, there’s no lead time before the motion event anymore? With the non-CMC recordings, the event videos always included about ~2 seconds before the motion, and that seems to be gone now.

I uploaded an example here:

Will this suck up data like Beta Android app V2.6.371?

I’ll wait a little.

Not that I’ve seen. Out of curiosity, what were you doing with the app when it was sucking up the data?

I’m over 400MB on the wyze standard beta app in just 13 days. Last month it was 140MB. My usage hasn’t be that dramatically different to cause such huge usage. Something’s amiss.

About the only activity on my part that was different than running my normal “stable” of a dozen cams or so was my “testing” laid out in
Restore hardware acceleration on android - #41 by gemniii
and that only involved one cam at a time.
It consisted of plugging in one cam, then after it “warmed” up putting my hand in front of the screen then watching the app to see when my hand showed up.

Wyze Test v2.6.371 still seems to be sucking data a bit on WiFi 3.6GB since this morning. Very light usage on my part.
@ArthurH @UserCustomerGwen is this the wave of the future? Before almost ALL data was local.
I would like some confirmation that 2.6.40 is not going to use a lot of data before I upgrade or I’ll have to flash to an older . apk. :frowning:

2 Likes

Are you guys using Complete Motion Capture? If so, it’s obviously going to use more data if it gives you longer clips more often. It seems like the minimum clip length with CMC is 17-18 seconds. Even if you’re viewing the same number of clips with the same frequency, it’s still probably downloading the whole video. So I’d expect data usage to spike by at least 50%. If your average clip lengths are 24 seconds, I’d expect it to be about double.

Nope.

On 1 camera, but I’ve been using it since it’s introduction, and that SHOULD have gone through WiFi, not mobile data.

1 Like

@gemniii, we’re looking into the data issue. That is specific to the specific app version you were testing.

1 Like

Thanks,
@Newshound and others are playing with it on iOs and finding similar data usage in

I’m going to get this info to the team immediately. Thanks!

2 Likes

Looks like Kyle is already on it. He said we were looking into the data issue and I hadn’t realized it extended beyond your test app. Thanks, gemniii!

1 Like

Yes, I’m embarrassed to say I noticed the issue months ago from reports here in the forum, but didn’t formally report it. When I saw the reports I looked at my leak, and it was minimal, so I just turned off cellular access for the Wyze app and assumed someone from Wyze would notice the other posts. The app still works wonderfully when cellular data is turned off if you have WiFi available. Turns out my leak was minimal because I use my WiFi-only iPad to monitor my cams, not my iPhone.

In my test tonight I found the leakage can be QUITE robust. In an hour I leaked 100 MB to cellular data when I was on WiFi, which is 2.4 GB a DAY! Yikes.

I have since formally submitted a ticket for Kyle, #379089. My test tonight was on the current production app 2.5.53.

Well, we’re just happy to have this information now. Thanks, Newshound!

1 Like

Perhaps someone is using your data authorized or not e.g. hacking via wifi etc. Not hard to do as i’ve done it myself when I couldn’t afford internet. Just sayin. Hope i’m wrong.

The celluar data leak he’s talking about has been reproduced by others. It’s a real thing. They’re looking into it.

1 Like

Stuff happens, but was the file uploaded without QA? Also, and just as important, do you not have a Release Manager? From many years of experience in software releases, you must - must - have a release manager. If you employ this process, a wrong file upload should NEVER happen! A developer MUST hand off to a third party (QA/Release Manager) and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER upload his/her own code. This is basic SDLC!!! Frankly, your statement of feeling ‘silly’ is very churlish. This is not a silly mistake, it is a fundamental disabuse of basic software development procedure, not to be so lightly passed off as being ‘silly’. If you don’t get this, then you are taking a very good product into a realm of future hurt - for the consumer!