Best way to continous record with v3

The simple way to record continously with v3 is a micro sd card. I just found out something called a micro sd card extender. I know micro sd cards have no wifi. But is there a micro sd card extender to wifi or a wifi SD card that can record to say a wireless external hard drive? So all my v3s can record to one external hard drive? They are all indoors so no worries about weather. Its only 3 wyze v3. I found wireless hardrives for about 100 dollars. Will this work? Or is there another solution?

I am not answering your main question. Because I don’t know. There’s been some recent discussion here about this subject though. You can do a search or look around for the main thread.

But a summary. Most wireless WiFi SD cards are not microsize, so need something to adapt the WiFi card to Micro SD card size. And I guess that’s why you already mentioned the SD card extender. Trying to find an extender that would work in my V3’s I bought 5 different ones on Amazon. None worked. Someone near helped by an explanation that they might work on a V2, but the V3 doesn’t see the extender. I don’t want to use V2, so I didn’t try.

Someone else explained why the WiFi card would not work anyway. I can’t explain it, but he made a lot of sense.

First issue is the Micro SD card extender, we’ve not found one, or its not been shared that would work with a V3.

Years ago, Wyze was working with a source to produce a carrier device we could plug a 2.5/3.5 HD into and save our video. A lot of us were disappointed. I think Cam Plus idea replaced that effort. I think there’s a Wishlist thread on the HD carrier. You might want to vote on it.

And let me add – I welcome someone that knows more/better or can help explain, to please jump in and help.

1 Like

Thanks! So none of the extenders work for you? What is your reason for buying them? @Sam_Bam

Very welcome. I have a Creality 3D Printer that was new and they were doing many PCB board firmware upgrades. We had to disassemble the control box to get to the board’s micro SD slot to reach it. Risky considering its fragile. I was looking for an extender that I could insert and close the control box, allowing a simple boot from the micro SD without opening it. Went through several before I could a "nearly printed circuit like interface extender that would work. (And tried it on the V3 too.)

1 Like

Some really deep reading for you. :warning: Do not fall into the rabbit hole.

3 Likes

Thank you, even though you were not doing it for me. You sir, answered the question for everyone, pulling it all together. Again, thank you.

3 Likes

I’m sure there is a whole lot more out there in the Forum archives if one were to do a detailed search. Those are just the most relevant. I think @gemniii could possibly offer more detailed material on the subject though.

3 Likes

I think Wyze will be coming out with a solution similar to what you want. The VP of Product indicated they are working on something that will allow us to record camera video to a local harddrive:

So, they are working on some kind of way to do NAS (store video onto a network harddrive). We just don’t have any more details than that at this time. He also mentioned that they are trying to move toward having things be more local-oriented instead of cloud-dependent.

4 Likes

@carverofchoice, you are one of the best if not the best at finding old stuff we wanna know about. As Gomer would say, ‘thankeee, thankeee, thankeee’.

4 Likes

@carverofchoice thanks! I like simple concept of blink module. Wifi and put your own flash drive. I want put your own flash drive and maybe wifi direct instead of internet

4 Likes

Of course none of that would matter if the V3 itself provided an NFS export, ssh daemon, or http daemon, so we could read the contents of our cards directly via wi-fi.