Battery Powered Light Switch

My BroadLink hub is in the basement. I use the switch on the third floor on the other side of the house no problem.
I can even have it control Wyze lights together with Wyze plugs and even Geeni lights. Anything Alexa can do in a routine which is a lot.

1 Like

Hi Y10, Does the hub connect to your router wirelessly or cable?

The hub connects wirelessly. No Ethernet port.

The Broadlink S3 hub is tiny. 2 inches on either side by about 3/4" high. (Yes, I have one, as well as two of the switches).

Stick-on wifi wall switch to control wyze bulbs

I have Wyze bulbs in every light in the house. Key lights are programed to come on/off to provide mood lighting in the eves. Others, my family and I turn on/of via my phone or wyze watch no problem. Love these!

However, I wish there was a stick-on wireless wall switch that I could place by these lights so that visitors (and me when I put my phone down of have my watch in the recharger) can quickly turn a light wirelessly on/off at need. Then have these lights default back to join the regularly scheduled on/off program the next time its up on the schedule.

I’m not interested granting visitors (especially my kids teenage friends) control to my lights via their phones only have to revoke access (daily) to prevent shenanigans (on/off, flashings, color changes, etc at odd hours just because). However, it would be really nice and handy for visitors to be able to turn on the light on their own, as needed.

1 Like

I love the hardware switch device that can help turn on and off lights. A hardware device that anyone can use without using the app is wonderful. What would be maybe even easier and better, is to have a hardware device that does the same thing as a switch but make it battery powered. That way you wouldn’t have to worry about the wiring at all. Have a sticky back that could mount to a wall, and then you could simply put it anywhere. It could have the same type of functions, without all the difficult setup.

Thoughts?

1 Like

yes please! Battery powered switch! The electric in my house is funky and I don’t want to touch it. Battery powered would be the way to go.

I absolutely agree that someone (and why not Wyze?) should produce a “stick-on” switch, that when pressed is capable of sending on/off commands to Wyze (and Alexa/Google) devices (including activating features or commands).

There are two ways to implement this:

1. A battery-powered “WiFi” stick-on wall switch. The battery would have to have a way to be recharged or replaced, and since it will be ‘listening’ constantly (to maintain its WiFi connection) may not have all that long a lifetime. In fact, had I not experienced your excellently designed low-power video doorbell, I might not believe this would even be worthwhile attempting due to limited battery life. Still, such a stick-on unit would have to be relatively ‘fat’ and would protrude from the wall unlike a normal wall switch to accommodate the battery compartment, and a rechargeable battery would make it more expensive.

2. A very thin, locally-powered stick-on wall switch, with a simple dedicated radio link (BluetoothLE?) to an otherwise normal-looking Wyze outlet. There are already numerous sellers of such stick-on wall switches, and since they only transmit their custom radio signals when depressed they consume extraordinarily little power — some of them are even “self-powered” by the physical action of depressing the switch (!), thus never needing battery replacement! Connection to the local WiFi would be accomplished in the outlet unit, which presumably has constant access to wall power.

PLEASE Wyze! Produce (or re-market or whatever) a stick-on solution like this!

Note that this type of thin stick-on switch could also fix all of the 3-way and 4-way wall switch issues! Only one switch is the actual controller unit, and all the other “stick-ons” simply send the non-WiFi custom radio command to the single controller connected to the light!

People could place “stick-on” (or even moveable!) switches for any programmable effect they want wherever they want! Having a physical mounted switch is much more obvious and simple than pulling out your phone then selecting an app, scrolling though devices and selecting an action! (That is, if you’re even carrying your phone, and not a guest at the location.)

If YOU don’t make such a device, others will, and capture a chunk of the market!

I’d like to bump this because this is exactly what I’m looking for.

One suggestion would be to have a USB C port on the side (not micro since C is much sturdier) for power/charging since I have an outlet not far from where I would like to mount a switch.

Anybody at Wyze thinking about this?

1 Like

battery powered light switch would be very helpful for temporary guests

Power & Lighting Battery powered wall switch to control wyze lights and plugs so guests can operate lights

Yes please! :slight_smile:

My old X10 (power line) system has very useful remote type switches that I could place around including one that emulated a light switch with four simple buttons in it. I really need this. Especially if the switch would run a rule. For example wake up at night ( dark) don’t need to find and open my phone but just reach the the switch. Useful for guests in the house I’ve thought about using one of the existing light switches, put it into a remote outlet box with an extension cord.

1 Like

<rereading the posts, this may not be what people had in mind> since I took the time to find it and would like it, I will leave it up for now.>

absolutely agree a wired light switch with a small rechargeable battery.
Once charged to 100%, leave it to drain to 10%, then recharge it… 10s of millions of older homes could use this and it is not complicated.
We cannot use the Wyze bulbs as the ceiling lights are in enclosed fixtures. It says on the Wyze bulbs not to put them into enclosed fixtures due to the heat they give off… I see some have put them in enclosed fixtures anyways. We prefer to do it do CSA / UL electrical code.

Here is X10 2 wire single polie light switch. Not sure why Wyze cannot do this. X10 has these available in 1990s, maybe 1980s.

WS467 manual. It is UL listed product.

I have used WS467 for about 20 years. The problem is that x10 has so little support any more. ~$25

“X10 Wall Switch Module cannot be used to control a fluorescent fixture is because it is a two-wire device and is hence wired in series with the load. The switch itself needs to stay powered up. Because it does not have a neutral connected to it, it gets a small neutral feed through the bulb even when it is off.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Incandescent_Lights_Only