Battery powered camera and alarm

I am looking for a battery powered camera and/or battery powered motion sensor that I can install in a detached garage that does not have dedicated electricity source. This ideally has some kind of audible alarm that would be triggered off either camera motion detection or the motion sensor directly.

It doesn’t seem like Wyze offers anything like this out of the box. I was wondering if there are any suggestions as to how I may accomplish this, either with the Wyze ecosystem or another product? Thanks in advance.

Welcome back @kdrymer !

I would recommend the Wyze cam outdoor as it is a battery powered camera with a siren built in.

2 Likes

Oh I didnt realize it has a siren built-in! Awesome, thanks.

1 Like

Welcome back @kdrymer!

Don’t forget, you’ll need to use rules to automate the activation of the siren.
More information here:

2 Likes

I’m not seeing anywhere in the product description for Wyze Cam Outdoor that it has a built-in Siren. I do see the V3 model mentions a siren however. Just want to confirm that the Outdoor battery powered model has the siren capability?

I can assure you that the Wyze Cam Outdoor battery powered camera does have a siren built in

1 Like

There are many disadvantages to the Wyze Cam Outdoor though, you could also consider using “Low Voltage Wiring” and burying the wire from an A.C. power outlet (indoors) power supply to the detached garage. Then use a 12 volt to 5 volt micro-USB regulator adapter and install a V3 with spotlight.

The V3 will have better results and can be configured to trigger spotlight and siren on motion, plus you won’t be dealing with taking down to charge and putting back up.

The power Supply mounts indoors but the cable to camera can be longer as the 5 volts is regulated at the camera.

I have ran over 180 feet of 2 conductor cable to camera with this setup, use low voltage lighting wiring it can be buried, it is weatherproof and UV resistant.

Connect the 12v to 5v micro-USB regulator adapter to cable matching polarity ( +red -black ) along cable where a camera is needed if more than 1 camera just get a 12 volt adapter with more current (Amps) The Adapter regulator is weatherproof except the micro-USB itself but the boot on the V3 takes care of that.

12 volt input to 5 volt output micro-USB cable (adapter)

12 volt power supply 1 amp with connector adapter

14/2 Low Voltage Landscape Wire - 100 feet

This location originally had a V2 in an enclosure, the 12v to 5v adapter has been exposed to rain, snow, and heat of summer for over 2 years. Recently replaced V2 with a V3

Below is an event captured by this camera, note I don’t use IR as I get too many flying bug triggers.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea , and it’s pretty easy to bury the wire, use a floor scraper and slit the ground that’s what I did when I ran phone cable out to my pole barn

1 Like

You can see more about my OCD engineered setup here, too much time on my hands sometimes…LOL
Battery Backed-Up 14 V3 cams and Internet

1 Like

Thanks for all the great ideas. This is being placed in a temporary tent type garage (Shelter logic) so I didn’t want to run permanent cabling to this location. However it is only approximately 50 feet away from an exterior weatherproof outlet on my house.

Is it possible to run a 50 ft. length of USB extension cabling a few inches underground in 1/2 inch PVC conduit to the location I want it? I haven’t been able to find a 50 ft. length so far, 40ft seems to be the max so this may not even be an option but thought I would throw it out there…

Thanks for the awesome idea. I was wondering how the “12 volt input to 5 volt output micro-USB cable (adapter) 2” is spliced onto the Low voltage wiring (What type of connectors did you use?) Also did you run 14/2 or 16/2 low voltage wiring? I am considering doing this if I can’t find a 50ft length of USB extension cable.

50 feet of USB connection cable would likely drop to much voltage, 25 feet is about as far as I would push it.

I used 14/2 landscape wiring and the connection for the 12v to 5v Micro-USB adapter was done with soldering and marine grade shrink tubing to make that connection waterproof.

If soldering is not your thing you could use these:
Gardner Bender 25-1W1 Watergard Weatherproof Twist-On Wire Connectors, 22-12 AWG, Small Direct-Buried

Also besides the twist on connectors if you can’t solder, the Low Voltage wiring does not have red and black markings but it does have a raised stripe on one of the 2 conductors just make sure you match the (+) side the same on both ends.

Heck if it is temporary just run a 50 -75 or 100 foot outdoor extension cord 16 gauge cord would work just fine. they don’t cost that much if you don’t have one already