Battery Operated Wyze Cam

how are you going to get an internet connection out there or is this just to record to the SD card and you don’t need notifications or alerts on your phone or even to check in to a live feed from your phone? will wyze even work without an active internet connection

1 Like

What I would do is either have a car with built in WiFi or carry a hotspot.
I carry a hotspot. A ZTE Mobley that connects into AT&T. I’ve been using one for about 3 years now

Not sure why this hasn’t been done yet. I just purchased Arlo Pro 2 because it is wireless, then was seeing people rave about the Wyze cams, and comparing them to Arlo Pro 2, so I assumed they were wireless. I was planning on using this outside and replacing the Arlo Pro 2 because the Wyze camera is actually really good, I love this thing, but it’s a shame it can only be used plugged in. I do not have any outlets where I want to use them, and do not feel like running extension cords all around. Please make a wireless version that will compete with Arlo Pro.

1 Like

I run my cameras continuously. How many hours will an Arlo Pro 2 run continuously on their battery before it needs to be plugged in and effectively becomes wired?

I have my cabin Wyze Cams linked to the internet via my cellular modem/router (i.e., a mobile hotspot). They should work with your hotspot unless the carrier has restrictions. I’m on T-Mobile.

I totally agree with mjustus55 in the below linked (but closed) forum topic:

I would love for a coin-battery operated Wyze cam for true wireless. I am really interested in buy a whole slew of these bad boys, but I do not want to mount them in and around my large house with dangling ugly, gangly cords desperately reaching out to electrical outlets. Unsightly!

This was briefly addressed in December 2018 in the above-referenced forum topic thread. Has there been any movement in this direction at all?

Thank you!

Puto

You’ve got to deal with physics.
Battery operated (like Blink) are designed for limited active usage per battery set.

40,000 seconds = 11.1 hours total run time.

That’s plenty of time for me, my arlo pro 2 last a few weeks on a charge and they’re constantly being triggered most triggers are around 10-45 seconds. I just counted yesterday log and it had 90 recordings. I don’t need to record 24/7 just when something triggers it.

Go check my tips and tricks post out, I found a super simple way to power by battery and solar.

Is there any advantage to that versus battery packs like the Samsung 10AH (10,000 mAh Portable Battery with Micro USB Cable, Silver Mobile Accessories - EB-P1100BSEGUS | Samsung US which have been routinely on sale for $16).

Power and charge regulation is the main difference. Power banks often can’t be charged and power/charge a device at the same, it’s one or the other. The cheaper ones may lack that basic protection and allow the power bank to charge while discharging, but that can lead to overheating, which can damage the power bank or worse.

The RPi UPS can safely and seamlessly power a device and charge the battery without the danger of overheating and without interrupting power to the device when switching from charge to discharge. It’s not something you would use as a pure battery to power a device, but as the name suggests an “uninterruptible power supply” for something that usually has power but needs to keep running when there is none. For solar charging you always need a charge controller between the panel and battery so this is a nice compact 5V controller + battery combo.

I considered purchasing one for my Raspberry Pi / GL-iNet mobile media network, but ended up going with a 12V vehicle-based solution instead. Previously I was using a 28000mAh power bank, but that 8-hour charge time was a deal-breaker :smile:

I’ve had Blink for 2 years now and have yet to change the batteries.

blinks are good in that sense. hopefully somehow wyze can match that. i’m ready to switch out all my blinks if and when wyze has battery operated ones.

Most consumers won’t realize battery cams will be useless in northern/winter closures with cold temps.

Recharhable batteries drain quick in cold weather. I’m in Mn the Ring battery cams I tried shut off around 3F to 5-F. My blink cams operate in -25F with the Lithium AA batteries.

I guess that really depends on the battery, But yes my blink Cams Were working OK at -17 F

What

I’ve several rechargeable Lithium ion and a Lithium Iron power bank I’ve been using for the cams. Should I expect them to drain quickly in cold weather?

Please add in a GPIO input for an external interrupt. Then camera can be put into low power mode until a sensor (such as contact or PIR) wakes it up.

Microchip offer battery monitoring/charging IC’s at very low cost.

Ability to send thumbnails or very low frame rate “snapshot” video can also improve battery life.

@UserCustomerGwen

I have my setup as just Wyze cams and would love a battery powered cam to put in awkward spaces with no outlets near.

How far along is this process? Just curious.

Love Wyze!!

1 Like

It seem that it is in testing, so I would assume if all goes to plan we may get them in less than 4 months (November). I personally think it will get released around the end of August to the beginning of September.

1 Like

That sounds great!

1 Like