Base station have to be plugged in? [Mod Edit]

Does the base station have to be physically plugged into a network (router)? Or can it be configured for WiFi and then moved? Requiring it be plugged in seems to me to make it completely pointless / useless.

The header topic is a result of the forum app not displaying, just trying to make it work and the fields were not visible… very disappointed in this experience.

Yes. The Wyze Cam Outdoor base has to be hard wired Ethernet. But this can be accomplished via a WiFi bridge or extender.

1 Like

That makes no sense, why not just have it connect the same way the original Wyze cam does, why have a ANOTHER base that has to be wired to another base? I do not care to go down this route. How do i get a refund?

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

Here is the link to open a ticket

• Scroll down to the bottom of page
  • Contact Us
  • Choose supprt topic, Orders Returns Accounts

This only brings my to a question / answer interface, no form. I’m seriously beginning to hate the Wyze experience.

Start with the question above. Get a support ticket number.
Wyze will send a generic reply.
Reply to the eMail, repeat your question with problem description.
You will get a RMA number and prepaid USPS return label.

1 Like

Never got a support ticket number, but I think i finally got an email thru. Wyze support interface is really lousy. I’m a fine of Wyze and was an original backer of the outdoor cam, but i think a company needs a better support model. I’m just about ready to throw all my Wyze stuff away after this.

1 Like

Me too. The range on the base/cam was such a failure. Couldn’t see the advantage when having to run a cable and new base to each location. Then there was the battery life, audio, detection, etc, , Some people are really happy with it and I’m happy for them. It just wouldn’t work for me, replaced with a disposable v2 model. Good luck!

If it did the battery would last about 3 hours.
There are several threads about this topic. Sesrch the forum to find the details on why the WOC is designed the way it is.

1 Like

Regardless, I’m tired of adding base stations and bridges and all this hardware for every stupid little thing. I hoped Wyze was on a track to make things easy but looks like I’ll be falling back to Blink. Their base station doesn’t have to be plugged in and I’ve gotten over 18 months out of two AA batteries and still ticking. Anybody wanna buy some Wyze crap?

I have to admit, I thought it would be like Blink XT/XT2 where the bridge connects via Wifi and their cams connect to the bridge (not WiFi).

I’m not a big fan of another 2.4GHz channel being used here (WCO’s base)… I’m already using 2 channels on 2.4GHz that you can and there are also many neighbors using 2.4GHz… I’ve moved many things to 5GHz but there are still several devices that only work on 2.4GHz.

I’m not defending WYZE"s decisions, just answering your question.

1 Like

just re-read your post.

“Their base station doesn’t have to be plugged in”

What do you mean? My Blink XT’s bridges have to be plugged into power (includes power adapter).

They don’t use WiFi/WiFi frequencies to connect to each Blink XT cam though… The bridge also connects to my main Router via WiFi (not Ethernet)… I like both of these features.

I don’t want each individual device connecting to my main Router’s WiFi, I’d rather have them connecting to a Bridge or Bridges and preferably on non WiFi frequencies.

I generally prefer to connect these devices to my guest WiFi network or a separate Wifi Router on my network isolated from my local networks.

I’d rather have Wyze just have each WCO connect to WiFi without a base and I’ll just use additional wireless routers on my end… those routers can connect to my main Wireless Router’s guest network. Wouldn’t have an issue with the 4 WCO limit either (at east with the Asus WiFi routers I use). I already have 4 Wireless Routers (3 slave and 1 Main) to cover my property and both buildings. One is used to these type of devices along with the main’s own Guest SSID.

I did not mean they don’t have to be plugged into power, of course they do. But they don’t have to hardwired to Ethernet port on the router, which means I can put it anywhere. Mine is tucked up under a cabinet where you can’t even see it. For someone with as many guest networks as you have I guess I should have used more words instead of assuming some semblance of continuity in the discussion.

I appreciate that and apologize if my posts have been a little coarse. I realize this is a forum and I am glad for the answers. It’s unfortunate this is the only real way I’ve been able to get a semblance of support.

Unfortunately you’re not alone. This is a busy place. :slightly_smiling_face:

Whatcha want for watcha got?

WCO starter bundle, $50 you pay shipping. And you get the cowboy hat

1 Like