AWS Outage Impacting Wyze Home Monitoring App Status and Alexa Integrations - 12/7/21

12/8/21 12:00 PM PT - We have received confirmation that our AWS-related services returned to normal last night. We kept an eye on things to be on the safe side and have firm confirmation from Noonlight that their temporary fix limited impact on Wyze Home Monitoring subscribers. Thank you!

12/7/21 6:10 PM PT - We’ve heard pretty consistent reports that most AWS services have been restored. Hopefully, you are not currently impacted by the outage from today. We’re holding off on giving our all clear message until we hear a definitive all clear from Noonlight and Amazon. Thanks for your patience!

12/7/21 10:58 AM PT - There is currently a large Amazon Web Services (AWS) outage that is impacting our services. People using Wyze Home Monitoring may see an alarm active in their Wyze app even after cancelling it with Noonlight because we may not receive the confirmation from Noonlight that the alarm has been cancelled or closed. Noonlight will still provide SMS notification that the alarm has been cancelled. People using Alexa integrations with their Wyze devices may have trouble with responses through Alexa. We apologize for any inconvenience and will provide progress updates here and in our Service Status page:

8 Likes

This is a big deal for Amazon and it has been crippled for over 4 hours. Reading lightly between the lines it’s a very successful denial of service attack on network devices in their main East coast data center.

It’s affecting tons of things from Netflix to Amazon Music to Salesforce.com to Amazon delivery drivers who have to stand down!

5 Likes

Oh, yikes! I do not envy their support and crisis management teams. :flushed:

3 Likes

[2:47 PM PST] We have mitigated the underlying issue that caused some network devices in the US-EAST-1 Region to be impaired. We are seeing improvement in availability across most AWS services. All services are now independently working through service-by-service recovery. We continue to work toward full recovery for all impacted AWS Services and API operations. In order to expedite overall recovery, we have temporarily disabled Event Deliveries for Amazon EventBridge in the US-EAST-1 Region. These events will still be received & accepted, and queued for later delivery.
https://status.aws.amazon.com/

[4:35 PM PST] With the network device issues resolved, we are now working towards recovery of any impaired services. We will provide additional updates for impaired services within the appropriate entry in the Service Health Dashboard.

2 Likes

My Alexa automations are mostly working. Amazon Music is not. The bigger ripples are all the services (Disney, Netflix, and SO many more) relying on AWS. Apparently every other region around the world indirectly relies on the East coast (Virginia) data center for some material even though they really shouldn’t.

1 Like

As companies grow, and their services and customer base grow, cloud diversification is a must.
I don’t know anything about Wyze’s Cloud Strategy, so this is just a comment from the fence (and I reserve the right to be completely wrong). But seeing the impact of this AWS issue on Wyze’s services brings the question about how reliable these services are.
I love Wyze’s approach, their hardware and can live with the software. But reliability on my Home Monitoring is something I give high importance.

1 Like

It’s going to happen to everyone at some point and has already. That’s why everyone advertises 99.9% uptime. If you can’t count on Google, Amazon, Microsoft to be 100% reliable, you’re kidding yourself if you think Wyze is going to somehow do it better.

1 Like

I think you misunderstood me - this dependence was not something customers like Wyze could control. It was on the AWS side.

This is not merely affecting those in the East AWS region.

In other words, this is how we get screwed in a world succumbing to the “cloud” baloney.

I hardly hold the $20 camera company responsible on this one.

2 Likes

12/7/21 6:10 PM PT - We’ve heard pretty consistent reports that most AWS services have been restored. Hopefully, you are not currently impacted by the outage from today. We’re holding off on giving our all clear message until we hear a definitive all clear from Noonlight and Amazon. Thanks for your patience!

4 Likes

Alexa is doing everything I say without any sass back :grin:

2 Likes

I personally didn’t even notice any difference. Most of my automations seemed to be working as normal all day, I’m glad others affected should be back to normal.

1 Like

I get login error almost everyday if I try to see my video alerts when I am not home. What is going on with that?

My Home Monitoring fails everytime I try to set it. Says failed to switch modes. This is very concerning.

3 Likes

Hah. Meatspace.

1 Like

12/8/21 12:00 PM PT - We have received confirmation that our AWS-related services returned to normal last night. We kept an eye on things to be on the safe side and have firm confirmation from Noonlight that their temporary fix limited impact on Wyze Home Monitoring subscribers. Thank you!

3 Likes

@tkfire and @mbrindle, those sound like different issues but we definitely want to help with them! Have you reached out to our support team?

support.wyze.com

1 Like

Yes… waiting on reply.

UPDATE: Customer Support walked me through some steps and it worked!!!

AWESOME customer service! Thank you!!!

4 Likes

If you could share the steps here that you went through, it might help other people that may have the same issue :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes