Automatically share camera feed to police and law enforcement (as an opt-in feature)

For those of us who want to build safer neighborhoods, we want to be able to automatically donate all camera footages to local law enforcement to make their job easier.

This should be an opt-in feature though so as not to invade user privacy.

There is already a thread about this here

1 Like

Wyze can and should do a better job than Ring after learning why some people strongly dislike Ring Neighbors from the other thread.

Here’s an interesting counterpoint. If you are posting your videos, the bad guys can learn where your cameras are and better enable them to avoid them. I have cameras that are quite obvious, but I also have cameras that you would have to try pretty hard to spot - unless you had seen video so knew that there has to be a camera “over there”.

2 Likes

If Wyze can let users share camera feeds only with law enforcement authorities but not with everyone, that will be one big step ahead of Ring, for example. We want to make it easier only for the good guys to do their jobs but not the bad guys.

Can we please have a Vote Against feature in the forum now? This is a terrible idea. Let people choose Rings if they want that sort of compromise.

Authorities can already subpoena footage from Wyze. They can already come to you and ask for it. You can already give it to them. That is enough. (You can also already create your own neighborhood watch and use Wyze sharing features with willing participants.)

5 Likes

I cast my vote as a NO

3 Likes

Some new background on what Ring is/was up to in this regard. Makes me seriously question my grudging allegiance to Amazon’s systems.

2 Likes

I’m with @Customer . If I wanted something like this I buy Ring.

3 Likes

100% this is a bad idea. I will lose all respect for Wyze if this feature is added especially since they will be able to monetize this data to police departments as well but whether they take advantage of monetizing it or not doesn’t change my thoughts about this idea.

1 Like

I’m absolutely not suggesting that Wyze follow what Ring does. I suggest a toggle switch in the current Wyze app settings that labeled “Make the world a safer place.” (default: off) People who dislike Ring will always enjoy the same great privacy with Wyze. Others who want the feature can simply express their intent by turning on the switch giving Wyze the permission to do the right thing. End users never need to worry about good guys vs. bad guys. Wyze should innovate better than Ring. If by doing good, Wyze boosts its chance of staying afloat financially, that will be a win-win because you definitely can do well by doing good.

1 Like

You imply that monitoring all your neighbours is the right thing…I disagree. We should not become a surveillance state like Britain. Nor should we support facial recognition for use by the authorities since it is notoriously inaccurate.

1 Like

Yeah, no pressure or anything. Come on. Read the article I posted above. This is ripe for abuse by any number of parties, along with inadvertent issues (repurposed your camera as a babycam or bedroom cam and forgot to turn off the precinct feed?). It’s a terrible idea and it’s a shame that Ring / Amazon continues to do it. I wouldn’t count on Wyze or any vendor to maintain it safely and properly.

There are more than enough public cameras already.

2 Likes

Also, unless I don’t understand how Wyze works, there aren’t any live views fed to the servers, only recordings. If the police need them, they can ask. I just don’t want to live under constant surveillance nor a police state like China.

2 Likes

Bingo. As I said in April above, the footage is a simple subpoena away. I expect Wyze gets hundreds of them a month.

This capability already exists, If you want, “SHARE” your camera with the local constabulary. They just need a Wyze account and they have your feed.