Automatically periodically delete old alert videos

It would be convenient if you could set a time period for when the automatically created 12 second alert videos could be deleted automatically from the phone’s/device’s folder. for example, one could set it such that after every three days all alert videos that are not permanently saved would be deleted, automatically. I don’t want to have to always go into my device folder and delete the old 12 second videos that are just taking up space. There should also be an option to archive select videos that you want to save indefinitely.

Edit: (added more info for clarification)
Running Android, Oreo 8.1, Motorola Moto G5.

I just checked now and I had one motion event. I went to my device folders before watching the event and noted that there was no video folder since I had already deleted it from before. I went back to the Wyze app and watched the motion event for the first time and then after watching it, I went back to my device folders and saw that it had dropped the file into a newly automatically generated folder that wasn’t there before called “video”. It does this for every motion event that I review.

This sounds like a cool idea to be able to save some space.

@ryanjdenaro awesome idea!!
Would love it !

1 Like

The 12-sec alert clips are stored in the (free) cloud space each cam is provided. Are you running out of space there?

I was speaking for the microsd card

All of the 12 second clips that I review from the camera get stored in a device folder on my phone. When they are reviewed I think they get downloaded to the phone and played from the phone’s memory automatically. I know that they can be “deleted” in the app so that they no longer show up in the notifications screen, but deleting them from the app doesn’t delete them from the device folder.

Hmmm, I have a folder (album) in the Photos app of my iPad named “Wyze”. In it are a mixture of photos (manual screenshots from within Wyze app I presume) and video clips of varying length (manual video recordings from within Wyze app I presume). Interestingly, screenshots and video clips that I create manually from within the app also get saved to my Camera Roll. So I confess, I’m not 100% sure how the “Wyze” album is utilized. I could be mistaken, but … I don’t see all (any?) of the 12-sec alert clips that I’ve viewed in there, nor is there an another album in which they’re being saved after viewing.

They must be talking about an Android feature.

So I just checked now and I had one motion event. I went to my device folders before watching the event and noted that there was no video folder since I had already deleted it from before. I went back to the Wyze app and watched the motion event for the first time and then after watching it, I went back to my device folders and saw that it had dropped the file into a newly automatically generated folder that wasn’t there before called “video”. It does this for every motion event that I review.

Yes, I have Android, I’m not sure if it’s a user-configurable feature or just how it works with the camera.

It’s often helpful to spell that out in your original post. As much detail as possible so people trying to help will know where these files are that need to be deleted. Like in the cloud, the microSD card or in a folder on an Android phone. Milehiguy and I had to do a lot of reading and asking questions just to figure out we wouldn’t be of much help.

Sorry for the run-around. Updated my first post to add the relevant info.

FYI in the 2.0 app tap “Account” at the bottom right, then “App Settings”. It shows the “Cache File Size” which is how much space is used by those downloaded event clips, along with a button to clear the cache.

+1 for the ability to clear only files over 2 weeks old, but at least that’s an easy 1-click way to free up space.

1 Like

Good, that will help you get your information quicker. Some of us have put that info into our profile About me section. Not as good as including it in your OP, but I use it as a copy paste source. Maybe one day, they will add it as a signature line.

Thank you for that information. I was not aware you could do it that way, and I would agree that is much easier than navigating through Android to the device folders to delete them manually.

I’m not an Android user, but might there be an Android app available that will go clear out the device folder for you periodically?

We are trying to find a way to identify members as either Android, iOS or both. This thread is a perfect example of why. For now, there are two things you can do:

1. Update the About Me section of your forum profile with your OS. Make sure it’s not more than 1 line, so it shows on single click of the username without having to click over to the full profile.

2. Go to the post below and join Team Android or Team iOS groups. If we get enough participation, there we can add a group badge to everybody. Also, while you’re there, if you have any other ideas for identifying all members’ team, make a comment there.

I’m sure any number of Android automation apps (Tasker, Llama, etc) would have that ability, but that’s really beyond what a typical user should have to do. It’s good practice for apps to clean up after themselves if they’re not using cache folders that Android cleans up itself.

I imagine most users wouldn’t be happy to find their phone has run out of storage because Wyze is using multiple gigabytes for 2-year old event clips (exaggerated but possible scenario).

2 Likes

Maybe but if there isn’t a willingness to develop that functionality I’d still rather delete them on my own. I’d prefer not download just another app that simple purpose. I just figured it would be simple enough thing to add in and improve the product.

1 Like

yes I have notice this too after one week of use. Depending on motion notification, it took somewhere 300MB space on my Android Pixel 2 device. I am using “Files by Google” app which automatically suggest periodically that you have some junk files and it let you quickly choose and delete. Here is the link

Haven’t had the chance to try this until today, but clearing the cache from inside the settings in the app doesn’t seem to delete the video files in the device folder.