Audio out of sync

We’re sorry, we thought we had this figured out in the most recent update but clearly we’re not done resolving this yet.

There appear to be differing levels of severity with the audio being out of sync and having more data points is useful. It also gives me the opportunity to show the frequency of reports.

As I said, you guys can clearly test it yourselves, there is no need to keep asking for customers data. Dont you have a few cams in your lab to test this? That’s unbelievable.

Mines a delay of 8 seconds, I can’t use the footage as evidence

After the latest firmware update, I replied to Wyze immediately that the issue was still not fixed but no response.

This issue has been there for more than a year and it is really hard to believe Wyze is still not able to fix it.

I have just returned my Wyze cam simply because of this issue.

There are tons of other similar products with same functions and price range in the market and they seem don’t have this issue at all.

Wyze really should understand what is the most important at this moment.

Unfortunately, I to have sync issues on all my cams. Audio and video syncing is going to be a Difficult one for them to fix and probably a hardware issue more than anything, I’m figuring cheap parts for mass production and low quality control (when listening back there is always static on the line and the camera is only a few feet away but one can barely hear the conversation) which to mean screams cheap microphone (probably a choice made by management). There really is no point in complaining though as they are the cheapest cameras price wise on the market. Would be nice for a fix but I wouldn’t hold your breath as they can’t fix hardware (short of coming out with a V3) if audio is important go with a more expensive camera. Would be nice if the used a better codex for recording anda better app especially when looking at playback there is so much that could be improved on like video playback scrubbing) just glad the video is good quality (then again if it wasn’t I wouldn’t have bought them)

Sorry for another msg of me too but wanted to be added to the list so that if there ever is a fix I will hear about it.

Hello everyone. The audio sync issue could be caused by (1) Firmware bugs on device, (2) data transmission in our technology or user network, or (3) app player issue.
In the last firmware update, we introduced fixes to all the identified issues in the firmware. That is why I sent out a follow-up emails to users who previously reported this issue, and it is not working to some of them.
Our fixes to (1) could be validated by checking on the SD Card recording clips from a computer.
We will keep looking into firmware issues and move to (2) or (3), which we have not yet identified any issue.
If the issue is persistent on your device, we would love to have it back and send a replacement, so that we could better analyze the hardware and try to reproduce the issue in our test environment. Thank you.

4 Likes

If you are recording onto a sd card then there shouldn’t be an issue with sound if you remove the sd card and play the video on a computer. It is not a fix or acceptable work around but could be helpful in some situations.
The sound/video off has been an issue since first released, much longer than a year as some have mentioned.
VLC is a good option however be aware the video files are stored in one minute files, not the most convient way of going through a video.

Thats every device i own. Sometimes off by a second, sometimes off by 10 seconds, and on rare occasions, not off at all. If all who has the problem replaces their cameras im guessing there will be the same amoumt who still have the problem.

I’ve got the latest firmware version and am still experiencing the problem with audio sync. It being off by a few seconds is pretty annoying, but I also experience times when no audio plays at all. I read that the memory card stores files in 1 minute chunks, so maybe the audio cuts occur when switching between these, but I haven’t confirmed that.

Hi there. Yes there shouldn’t be audio out of sync to the SD Card recordings. But there was a bug and now we fixed it in the last release. Putting it to a computer and viewing the clips is simply a way to help confirm that.
We are aware of the audio out of sync reports, especially when viewing from the app. We will keep looking into this, aka the (2) and (3) parts. Thank you.

Hello @mrusscher, thank you for the report. Does this happen to your app Playback view, or viewing SD Card recordings from a computer?
Could you help submit a log with a sample video?
Thank you.

Oh, I thought this fixed the audio when playing from the app as well. I haven’t tried removing the SD card but sounds like that fixes it for most people. I’m looking forward to the app audio sync issue being resolved. Thanks for looking into this!

People are not going to constantly dismount their camera to remove that tiny SD card. Fixing the sync audio issue in the app is what most want.

1 Like

In my Accounts → Firmware Upgrade page, I can’t see 3.9.4.32 for my v1 cameras, both current and latest version are still 3.9.4.16.

While my v2 can be + I have upgraded to 4.9.5.98 already?

Hi @ArthurH can you tell me which firmware version has the fixes you mentioned earlier? Just to make sure if I’m on that or not.
I experience a lag from one second to several, both with event videos and playback from SD card. Usually the lag of an event video is small while playback shows a much larger lag, even when playing the same moment in time.
The lag is present both when playing in the Wyze app and when downloading the videos to the phone and playing them through other apps (like Google Photos). It seems to me that recording from playback is a sort of screen recording of the playback, maybe you can confirm that, so it’s no surprise that it shows the same lag.
I haven’t tried playing it on computer, I’ll do it this weekend.
I also just switched from the regular app to the beta last time and I experience lag just as much as before. I was hoping the hardware decoding would help with that, but it probably only affects the video stream.
Let me know how else I could help

To me… the problem appears to be playback speed issues between audio & video. Sometimes the audio is simply off… but that’s not the norm. It’ll match briefly on playback, but video plays quicker than the sound. Eventually, the sound & video are off significantly (5+ seconds) & the audio stops/pauses to wait for the video to catch up. Sometimes the audio pauses once a minute for about 5 seconds, other times it seems to pause once every 15 seconds for 5 seconds. I assume it’s my internet speed that causes that difference. I wonder if the problem is less pronounced if using SD instead of HD recording… though I haven’t tested. Unfortunately, I don’t think Wyze will resolve this, so I will be looking into flashing the firmware to support local streaming, & get my own NVR. I hope that resolves the issue (though it drastically changes the cost & simplicity that attracted me to the Wyze cams originally). The product is still so much cheaper than the market that I’m not surprised by the problem or the speed at which it’s not being resolved (nor do I particularly fault Wyze for either). You get what you pay for.

In another thread, I found this answer, back in Jul 2019

[ quote ]
The update:
We will release a test version firmware with those fixes by this week (ideally), and ask only users with the audio sync issue to try it.
It also adds more data points to log file surrounding the audio sync mechanism, so that if the issue still happens to you, we will better understand it from the new logs.
After the test firmware was proven to work, we will integrate it with the official releases.
[ / quote ]

And here is it Feb 2020 and the issue still exists.

I will describe my issue, as it was clearly described in that other thread, by another user. (and probably described in this thread, but I’ve not scanned every post here, because in the other thread, the last post was, “please continue this discussion in this thread”).

When I am using the Android app viewing video in “playback” mode, when the seconds timer reaches the 53-54 second mark, nothing plays back until one minute after the top of the next minute, In other words, from ~54 seconds to straight up 60 seconds, there is no audio or video, it simply “freezes” for those six seconds.

That six seconds could be critical in capturing that “important moment” during the capture of a security issue. I know, because it has happened to me a number of times. Fortunately, I have Nest cams recording the same scene. (I have been reviewing Wyze cams for the last six months, side-by-side with other security cams to evaluate recommendation to clients, friends, neighbors, family - I’d say this one major issue is a big hit to Wyze).

In that other tread (that linked me to this thread), a developer mentioned (and I’m paraphrasing here), “we are having a difficult time debugging this issue because of a lack of logging and difficulty locating where this is occurring”. Let me know if you need recommendations on how to resolve this - I have over 25 years experience with Assembly, C, C++, Java, and other languages (and have written three books on programming, and a Linux book - I see Wyze is running Linux), and can provide insight into toolsets that can be used to arrive at issue resolution.

BTW, I’m on the Wyze Beta (Android) version (and latest firmware), so I should have the latest and greatest that was mentioned in my “quote” above - the issue is still present.
Firmware: 4.9.5.98
Plugin version: 1.2.3.32
App: v2.9.24 (Feb 21)

2 Likes

This is happening with me exclusively with the SD card continuous recording. The cloud recordings are dang near perfect with less than a second of lag. The SD card is showing av lag of as much as 15-20 seconds. This is not ok.

How is it this problem was brought up in October 2018, and 16 months later, I’m still experiencing the same problem. I needed about 5 minutes of video of someone stealing a catalytic converter from a car parked in front of my house. It plays back with the audio & video perfectly in sync; but when I “record” the section of the video I want to save to my device, the audio is almost 20 seconds off. Wyze…this is a problem that needs to be addressed!

Hi!

I have the v2, with an SD card. I’ve noticed over the past few weeks that each time I view a recorded event, that the audio is about 5 seconds or so behind the video. For example, on my porch, my kids will open the door from the house and then go sit in a chair. About the time they sit in the chair, I’ll hear the noise from the door opening.

What’s going on?

Thanks!

1 Like