Apple HomeKit Integration

This can’t be so hard, you can use Apple TV, iPad or HomePod as a home hub. I don’t see why this can’t be integrated sooner. This should be a top priority for bulbs & plugs. I understand the camera won’t support it and I’m ok with opening the Wyze app for that. But the Plugs & bulbs should already be HomeKit ready.
We have the HomePod Mini coming out in 2 weeks and many of us may be looking to switch from our Alexa set-ups to HomePods/HomePod Mini’s and try HomeKit fully. And Apple has finally made it affordable.
In my opinion HomeKit should be the number 1 priority, or at least Siri Shortcut support from the Wyze app. I mean IFTTT is a disaster now and CAN NOT be used as a main way to integrate into Siri Shortcuts. They only allow 3 Free applets created now and are pushing a paid Pro service.
I love Wyze and what your company has done and making smart home affordable. But without HomeKit support or at least native Siri Shortcut support by the end of the year, I’m looking at alternatives, I mean even the expensive brands are now becoming more affordable and have support for all 3 HomeKit, Alexa & Google. Please make this a priority, we beg you…

3 Likes

It’s never hard if you’re not the one implementing it.

I am totally Apple ecosystem at my home, and I agree with their decision. If they’ve got problems with with their existing integrations, they should focus all the resources they can muster on getting that sorted out and then jump on HomeKit. Spreading your resources thin or trying to do multiple tasks at the same time is usually the best way to ensure that everything slows down. Humans are horrible at task switching.

If they focus sufficient resources on working out their existing problems then switch over to HomeKit, they’ll almost certainly get both things done quicker than working both at the same time.

Of course, that’s contingent on them devoting the sufficient resources to working at their existing problems and not burdening those people with yet other tasks.

If they’re an Agile oriented shop that’s what they should be doing anyway. But, I see lots of software developers that say they’re doing Agile but are completely ignoring the few key concepts that are really useful.

2 Likes

There is too much to read to know if this has been answered so forgive me for maybe asking again.

I have homebridge setup and it works really great… I use it for my Ring devices and making some non HomeKit switches and fan work with HomeKit. I have both an original Wyze Camera Pan and the new Wyze Cam Outdoor that I would like to figure out how to put on the home bridge. I believe I need to use the RTSP plugin and I am pretty sure I can get the Camera Pan working but that one I dont really use much. I really want to understand if the new Wyze Cam Outdoor can get setup to use RTSP? I cant find anyone talking about how to setup RTSP with the outdoor cam. Also, I just saw there is a new Wyze Cam v3 coming out and wondering if that can use RTSP for home bridge as well as how does that camera compare to the outdoor cam? Like why does the outdoor cam have the base and no other camera seems to use it?

Our hopes of Homekit support has just been sealed shut with the release of the V3 cam , no mention of HK support in the spec sheet , this basically confirms that Wyze has no plans to integrate HK in the near future.

Actually they are looking at HomeKit for the V3.

2 Likes

RTSP is not yet available for the V3. It may become available but they have not committed to that yet. If you add the RTSP firmware for the V2 and Pan you can the add them to Homebridge via the ffmpeg plugin.

1 Like

I was kinda hopping the v3 would be better in terms of the software side, person detection, better scrubbing even without HomeKit support. But it doesn’t seem like that has been fixed from the early youtube videos. It does look better picture tho. I need a camera for garage and front door.

1 Like

With the upcoming Person, Pet, Car, Jet Plane and Rollerskater detection I would imagine you will see some improvements.

Also Wyze recently replaced the video player in their app so perhaps some new features (like scrubbing) are coming?

Other than better picture quality , we dealing with the same 3 year old camera.
Notifications still take forever , 5 min cool down period between notifications.

What about Homebridge with the new outdoor cam ? Is that possible ? That is the one I need to get working first with Homebridge.

It’s a race to see whats available first. If they make the RTSP firmware available then it will work in Homebridge.

If the HomeKit support shows up first then it will be moot as the camera will work in HomeKit natively.

At the moment there is no way to get the camera in HomeKit or Homebridge. But I imagine that will change.

1 Like

Please please please bring Home kit support!!

1 Like

I watched their AMA , very little spoken about Homekit support. Don’t hold your breath

1 Like

Based solely on their past performance I would not hold out a lot of hope. I am sure they will try, and I certainly hope they will. But with any vendor including Wyze, I will believe it when I see it actually shipping with the logo.

Or at least make a reference implementation of a Homebridge plugin for each camera model and put it on GitHub

3 Likes

That works too.

1 Like

@UserCustomerGwen If HomeKit support is on the back burner, how about Siri Shortcut support then. That can’t be that hard and it will still allow us to use our HomePods & Siri to turn on/off lights & bulbs.

I switched to Wyze one year ago and bought everything you guys offered because I read HomeKit support was being worked on for the lights and bulbs. Then it was announced the V2 cam can’t support it. Ok not the worse thing, I can live without camera support in HomeKit. But now the bulbs and lights and just HomeKit inn general seem like it’s not even important to the Wyze team and it’s just getting thrown on the back burner without any kind of timeline or roadmap.

The holiday season is coming up and there are other companies now launching cheaper bulbs and plus with HomeKit, Alexa & Google support. Lifx just launched lower cost bulbs, we’ve seen Meross pop up with some good reviews on sites like 9to5mac.

If HomeKit can’t happen then at least let us know so we can weigh our options as people who have bought into the Wyze eco-system hoping for support in the Apple eco-system.

And I saw something on Reddit the other day that bothered me, FCC approval for a new WyzePlug that had a QR code on the back. I really hope we’re not gonna have to buy a new plug just to get HomeKit support. I already own 6 bulbs, 4 plugs and a few cameras. That’s why I think Siri Shortcuts would be a good route to go to begin also…

3 Likes

Obviously HomeKit is a contentious issue, but I do believe WYZE would love to implement it. Sounds like they just don’t have the resources to do so yet. I only have three v2 cameras, but I’ll admit the lack of HomeKit is what has prevented me from buying more products. I just bought a four-pack of meross smart plugs, and they work great, but that would have been money going to WYZE. I also want to buy the lock, but again, that won’t happen until HomeKit… the list goes on and on…

The sad part is that integration probably won’t happen anytime soon, which means I will end up spending my money on other products. It’s too bad, because I do feel like WYZE is good quality at an incredible price, but I will pay more elsewhere for HomeKit.

1 Like

Chamberlain garage door opener has a bridge

1 Like

HomeKit HomeKit HomeKit HomeKit HomeKit we want HomeKit!
Pretty Please :grimacing:

3 Likes