Apple HomeKit Integration

I purchaser a couple of Wyzecams and they are great but i also spent 5 times as much for a camera that worked with HomeKit. So HomeKit integration would be great

Would really love to see it connect with google home!

Please head over to this topic and VOTE at the top left. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I read somewhere that Apple Homekit requires certain hardware for encryption or something. If that’s the case, the existing Wyze will not work. I have full Apple eco system and not planning to change to Google or Amazon. So, I guess I have to wait for the Wizen Homekit version before I invest this.
Or I just buy a few cheapest Wyze cams for the time being. I would be sad to throw away the old cams though.

1 Like

Good to know!! Thanks Rajivarma!

@DreadPirateRush kinda completely missing the point of this thread.

1 Like

Nope, I was replying to R218, who wants it to connect to Google Home. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aha, apologies - I guess that other guy didn’t realize the thread was just about HomeKit…

1 Like

No worries! This forum is kind of different – confuses the crap out me sometimes, still. :laughing:

1 Like

No problem, pliu!

Via Reddit, @Frederik commented:

We just had a very positive meeting with Apple about HomeKit at CES. We made the commitment to study the feasibility to add Wyze cams to HomeKit.

The rest being under NDA, I can’t say more.

Hope this means good things for the future possibility of HomeKit integration.

Since Google Assistant/Home integration is currently in development and it will require HLS video streams (I believe the same protocol HomeKit uses), hopefully HomeKit integration could come soon after Google Assistant/Home. Fingers crossed!

4 Likes

We were hoping that HLS could be used and was, in fact, the reason we choose it for Google Assistant over the other protocol but apple’s engineers clarified that HLS is good for server to client. Not necessarily from device to client so we have to look at a different protocol.

2 Likes

See link! :smiley:

https://ifttt.com/search/query/space%20station

2 Likes

Another vote for HomeKit integration!

1 Like

Another vote for HomeKit integration here, too.

While I don’t necessarily need to view the video through HomeKit, I’d love to be able to turn notifications on/off using HomeKit, or react to motion detection events.

1 Like

Raises hand for HomeKit integration!

1 Like

But did you click the VOTE button at the top? That’s what counts.

3 Likes

Listen to Apple’s engineers - HLS only provides real advantages from server to client, but HLS encodeing owuld impose too much of a penalty on your small cams, if you wanted to do it within the cam.

Choose H.265 or H.264 instead, from cam to server or to client. H.265 would be preferable if the horsepower of the cam can handle it.

We are listening to them. :slight_smile: And also the fact that HomeKit does not support HLS at all from what we can tell.

H.264 & H.265 is the encoding, not the communication protocol. For the moment we are using H.264 because of the hardware encoder embedded in the camera. Going H.265 would be very CPU costly as we would have to use a software encoder. There is also an issue with licensing fee, which would raise the cost profile of the camera, including existing ones in customers’ hands.

Actually, HLS can be achieved out of the camera, it is not that different from what we are doing and we have a prototype that is not exactly HLS but very close to the behavior of HLS. This is looked into as part of another initiative.

5 Likes