Apple HomeKit Integration

I really recommend Hoobs. You can either buy their hub or do it yourself. If you do it yourself you only need a Raspberry Pi of any kind and a micro sd card. You don’t need any coding experience to do it. Super easy. Let me know if you have questions. https://hoobs.org

1 Like

I would offer that Homebridge IMO is very easy to setup on a Raspberry Pi or any Linux distro I happen to be using Ubuntu at the moment.

Homebridge now makes a Raspberry Pi SD card image for Homebridge that takes 99% of the config issues away.

The two cameras shown here are my Ring Doorbell and a Wyze Cam Pan. Both integrate nicely into HomeKit via Homebridge.

1 Like

installed hoobs to give it a try on my lubuntu netbook. seemed to install ok, installed the wyze connected home plugin. wasn’t sure how to get the 2fa code so I logged out and back in to get the code on my phone. used that code and it seems ok but I keep getting this error: [Wyze] Error getting devices: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘app_id’ of undefined - not finding much searching this, any suggestions?

Not sure. The only error I ever got was during login because I had 2 factor turned on. When I flipped that off I was good. Perhaps you can reach out to the developer of the plugin via github.

1 Like

Will try turning off 2FA first. If no luck then will try the dev.

It was the 2FA. Turned it off and things showed up. Made my iPad a home hub so phone can be anywhere now. I guess best option for 2FA is to switch from sms codes to code generator app and use the code wyze provides as the 2FA backup code. Will try that next. But pretty sweet to have this available and get some decent usage from my 10 yr old netbook that wasn’t doing a whole lot other than collecting dust.

Nothing has changed. Exactly as Apple said.

I have a fully integrated Smart Home, all powered by Apple’s HomeKit. I see from the topics on here that there are almost 2,000 people asking for this support. Is it something you’re going to add to your supported apps? It would certainly make life easier to connect the cam to HomeKit, alongside my outdoor cams, LIFX bulbs, Lutron Caseta dimmers, etc, etc, etc…
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add HomeKit to your supported structure! Hey people, if you like this, PLEASE click on it!

3 Likes

Your setup looks very familiar :smiley:. I have both Ring and Wyze v2 as well. Quick question…have you been able to use the WyzeCam’s motion sensor to trigger automations? My Ring doorbell can, and its pretty awesome. I would love to be able to do the same with my v2 as well.

Not yet, but I believe that feature is coming soon. I occasionally get Alexa motion notifications out of the blue for Wyze cams. The notifications disappear just as fast. So it seems they are working on it.

1 Like

I found my old Raspberry Pi in a moving box I ready to throw away, I dropped clean Raspberry pi image and installed Homebridge.io couple that with this Wyze Plugin GitHub - misenhower/homebridge-wyze-connected-home: Wyze Connected Home plugin for Homebridge and I am able to build home automation scripts in the shortcut app that literally handle what I wanted to do if only the Wyze app supported location support, plus rich sounds!

Essentially now I get “When I leave home, and if the window sensor is open, play a sound, and send a notification” This is awesome!

2 Likes

Really hoping some of the latest WWDC announcements of Apple partnering with other manufacturers give some movement on this issue. HomeKit support would be amazing. Being able to see my Wyze cam footage from tvOS, or macOS, etc. natively would be a game-changer.

Hopefully some of your engineers can digest the new info, and provide a status update on this.

7 Likes

That would be just awesome. Apple devices are just everywhere and they make our life simpler. Having Wyze devices integrated with HomeKit is a must.

4 Likes

Nice, this has been on my list to setup on a Raspberry PI 3 that I have. Sounds like all the parts are there.

Admittedly though, I would rather have native integration to HomeKit and support of the secure video services from Apple.

1 Like

Has anybody from WYZE ever said why HomeKit is not supported by there Camera’s ?

1 Like

The last thing said here in these forums by Wyze on the issue said the 2nd video stream did not meet Apples requirement for resolution.

1 Like

I can also add to that the exception was not granted.

2 Likes

i’m sure they will add it eventually, I guess they were really focused on the battery support first tho: Wyze Cam Outdoor. It's Finally Here. - YouTube lol :smiley:

Given that a new outdoor camera was just announced, does anyone know if Wyze changed the hardware to support HomeKit by providing 1080p and 720p streams?

3 Likes

Long time Wyze customer and iPhone/iPad/Apple TV owner here … I’m not so sure it will ever happen, quite frankly. Been waiting for 2 1/2 years and HomeKit support has never been a priority. Heck, I’m still waiting for app-wide landscape support for my iPad. Hope I’m wrong, of course, but not hopeful.

2 Likes