Apple HomeKit Integration

Homekit for the current cameras wont work due to hardware limitations, they are working to get sensors, bulbs and any future items Homekit approved though.

Will definitely be buying more Wyze cameras if/when HomeKit secure video is implemented.

5 Likes

I’m not interested in HomeKit Secure Video, due to the associated cost. Definitely want HomeKit for the Bulbs and Plugs!

3 Likes

Voted for this a while back (as well as Siri Shortcuts) but to be clear, I simply want to control things with Siri. So whether that’s Siri shortcuts or HomeKit, I don’t care. I want to be able to tell Siri to turn a bulb or plug on and off. Telling Siri to show me a camera feed would be excellent as well, but I don’t necessarily need HomeKit Secure Video (if it’s two different things; maybe not, I dunno). Right now it’s a huge pain to not have some form of Siri control. Beyond that, HomeKit support would be extremely helpful for Sense triggering. I’m aware I could patch together something with IFTTT, but I’m not a fan of that solution, especially with Alexa and whatnot already baked in.

3 Likes

Any revised comments/statements from Wyze based on Apple’s announcement of OpenSourcing parts of HomeKit via HomeKit Accessory Development Kit (ADK) - and specifically the possibilities of bringing HomeKit to the existing device line?

2 Likes

On Reddit they said they had asked for information about joining the group. Once they receive it they will evaluate it.

One thing to keep in mind is that anything that gets to consumers via this group by their own estimates is at least 2 years away. And there is no certainty anything good or bad will come of it. Lots of these initiatives in the past have come to nothing.

It would be nice but it sure won’t be fast if it ever even materializes. Fingers crossed but definitely won’t hold my breath :grin:

Looks like an open source version of its current form was just published. Apple Publishes Open-Source Version of HomeKit Accessory Development Kit - MacRumors @UserCustomerGwen care for a comment?

1 Like

Great news!

Please excuse my typos.

Thanks

Please excuse my typos.

1 Like

That’s just the ADK which was free anyway. So nothing new to be honest.

Sorry, as far as I know, this doesn’t change the hardware limitation.

1 Like

Maybe you can explain what this ‘hardware limitation” is?
It appears to be the popular current excuse to provide, but I haven’t seen it actually explained as to what it would be.

You must have missed the invite to the tech committee meetings? :rofl::rofl:

It has actually been posted in this thread multiple times. Apple requires the second stream to be 720p and currently the second stream is 360p, they cannot upgrade there firmware to 720 due to limitations in the hardware. They sought out and applied for an exception by Apple and were denied. This is why they have stated it will not happen on the current cameras.

5 Likes

What cost? The $3/month for iCloud Drive at 200GB (or $9.99/mo for 2TB)?

Technically, if you are using your iOS device you really ought to already be at the 200GB tier, so this wouldn’t be ‘extra’ cost.

1 Like

To support 1 camera you need the 200 GB plan. From 2 to 5 cameras you need the 2 TB plan. Currently HomeKit does not support more than 5 cameras with Secure Video.

The following is from Apples Site about HomeKit Secure Video.

“If you want to record your video, you need a 200GB iCloud storage plan to support one camera and a 2TB storage plan to support up to five cameras.”

I have the 50 gb plan for $1/month. It is plenty for me. I use my phone as much as I want, and have everything backed up in iCloud. Plus, if you have more than 1 camera, you need the $10/month plan. So…it would be an extra cost…for me. Also, I never called it an “extra” cost. That is all you. I have 3 Wyze cams.

Yet another vote for Apple Home Kit PLEASE +++ As the big players get bigger and the smaller ones start a buzzing, (in my case) my dull love for google home integration is fading with use and time & I am still resisting amazon Alexa gravitational pull…
with google home app with solid Wi-Fi signals, my multiple wemo sockets & Feit light bulbs are here today and not tomorrow - randomly losing integration connectivity/auth/(?) (again) (but with Apple Home, Wemo maintains connectivity etc.) … kinda like my past relationships sniff … but keeping on track - I would like to give Siri and Apple Home Kit a try to mend ways with my not-so smart home. Therefore, I really need Apple Home Kit (sadly) to simplify my smart home layout, maybe(?).

Thank you in advance for the dev efforts!

The cameras aren’t as important to me on HomeKit but the contact and motion sensors as well as bulbs and plugs would be fantastic for automations and alerts. It’s nice too see the Alexa integration and taking steps forward with these devices.

2 Likes

I would agree. All of the products are cheaper than any HomeKit option out there but the sensors being compatible would be the best. I don’t need the secure video but really want my other devices to respond in scenes when a sensor is tripped.

2 Likes