API for Download and Control

you see the funny thing about the camera that I have been searching for which is the link above is that the firmware is so terribly made that you can actually reflash it with your own version.

Their website spends no effort encrypting the package requiring a firmware update so you can unpack the bin modify what you want and re-upload without conflict or MD5 check sums

This camera runs nothing more than a busy box foundation so it’s incredibly easy to make it do whatever you want it to do.

The best part of the camera mentioned above is you can SSH right into the cameras shell without conflict and do whatever you want to it.

As with the wise camera I would have to put a TTL on the main board just even think about touching a terminal.

I’m definitely aware of your caution though I know that a lot of cameras have corrupted time servers which could pull screenshots back to the time server.

but abstain your worries this camera is so basic that it doesn’t have any type of malice built into it.

A second to his warning you should never allow these cameras I mentioned above to taste the internet. they very much need their own mediation device such as an NVR.

I can say the a large majority of us who are talking in this very specific thread have some type of programming background. As most of the generic public has no understanding of the acronym API

Interesting. Now I want to order one just to play with it. haha. Thanks for the great info!

Thanks a lot for the tips! Will give these a try.

Hey Wyze staff,

Don’t we deserve some kind of a status update on this request? I know that you find the time to ping us about new products (and we buy them). Perhaps you could grant us the courtesy of responding to this forum with some sort of an update?

Thanks

@danron Welcome back!

This topic is still “maybe-later” and currently isn’t in the pipeline. If this topic changes to “researching” there may be an update later on if the research goes well. :slightly_smiling_face:

• maybe-later - This isn’t on our internal roadmap at this point but we’ve seen and considered it. Sometimes features that we plan to implement later but haven’t come up in the pipeline are in this category.

Next step if updated

• researching - We’re looking into this and trying to select a good method for implementation but we’re not at a point of working on it yet.
1 Like

Thank you for the details. What is the criteria for features to make it to the Researching phase?

1 Like

Same here, I have phased out all of my Wyze products and/or put the cameras into primarily useless areas that I’m not concerned about. Without any kind of ability to integrate with anything, they’re pretty useless. Wyze high point was they were incredibly cheap cameras, but now there are more and more equally cheap and nice, if not even better, cameras that have no issues integrating with other systems. Having no integrations or APIs available will be the downfall of Wyze as a company.

I think they criteria is “If they feel like it” They were able to deploy the “Webcam Firmware” with lighting speed to sell more cameras during the pandemic.

After they added measures to verify the firmware’s origin It was clear to me they want to control the product inside and out.

There was a time when you could root the camera back to the XI firmware turning the camera into a localized device. But that got snuffed out fast as that firmware reversal removes any ties to the WYZE brand.

After all they are a software company. and if they lose the software they lose everything. So it makes sense they wont have an api any time soon.

So far I have been “getting by” by using RTPS firmware (for frame capture) and my unofficial node API wrapper https://github.com/noelportugal/wyze-node, I just recently updated it to turn on/off bulbs and plugs.