API for Download and Control

100% correct. If it takes longer than 1 second, it’s too slow for a Smart Home.

1 Like

If there is one single feature I could upvote 100 times it would be that one… the interactions permitted within the Wyze ecosystem are very limited and having an API would help a lot.
Also, most people already have smart home devices so if Wyze believes that by retraining integrations, people are going to buy more Wyze devices, they are wrong…we are not going to replace everything. It’s the opposite… I am not buying Wyze Sense products because I know I won’t be able to integrate them effectively within my setup !

4 Likes

Who will provide a response to the request? Cheers

Hello @jose.salazar and welcome to the community

For the most part the only responses at this stage will be in the title. Right now you see a ‘maybe-later’, when/if they start looking into it that will chage to ‘researching’ and if they decide to work on it then it will be moved from the #wishlist to the #roadmap

So basically a hopeful NEVER.

Well I wouldn’t go that far, there are some categories that say ‘probably-not’ so at least they have not ruled it out yet. My guess is it just isn’t an immediate importance to them in a business sense. Just my guess as I have no knowledge of their decision making and do not work for them.

1 Like

Can you figure out how to get video from the current API info?

and

Theres even source code from tinycam pro written in java. I’ve been able to access the api personally but I only know how to get text variables and device listings for my account.

Yo get your phone guid, i personally used “Charles” software with the trial version, then connected my phone to it by SSL proxy with the certificate installed on my phone to trust and decode the traffic between my phone and Wyze.

Sounds difficult but it’s not at all, now if someone who has API knowledge can bridge the gap here, like you software engineers, we could get this API thing rolling .

2 Likes

I would love this. Especially an API that would allow me to start/stop a timelapse. Would be very helpful when I’m recording 3D prints.

2 Likes

Official API would be nice!

3 Likes

Yeah … count me in! Please provide API.

3 Likes

Perhaps a new version of camera with “some” feature extraction capabilities and an open API for feature integration so I could use KEEL-Technology - based AI for feature interpretation and potentially messaging for control.

Alternatively messaging protocol suitable for control with scalable resolution. For some applications, one could benefit from lower resolution.

1 Like

yes please

1 Like

Is there a programming api for users to add their own functions?

5 Likes

Welcome to the community, @smortve. I have moved your question to the relevant #wishlist topic. You can vote for it at the top-left. :slight_smile:

Search Wishlist (enter your search word/s after #wishlist in the search box)
Search Roadmap (enter your search word/s after #roadmap in the search box)

Please read through How to Use the Wishlist and How to Read the Roadmap.

1 Like

Bulb automation is now available unofficially.
Kidos to the developer who had to reverse engineer the API

This is Home Assistant python code but can be easily read to figure out the API

5 Likes

Imagine if they opened up the API, what developers could do to improve their services without Wyze doing anything. If I was them though, I would limit the API for a bit, and maybe have different tiers so as to discourage bad people from abusing it. But, yea, this would be amazing, and something they should officially release. Glad to see some reverse engineering this, but unsure if the ethical implications that has.

4 Likes

I think the reason they dont care about api support as a priority right now is they are targeting people who arent diy smart home freaks, they are targeting people who otherwise wouldve bought ring or nest

2 Likes

This may be true, but if they created an API they would rise faster then Sonos did.

Sonos got huge off the open source API they offered the CI industry. Once they got big they selfishly dropped the CI crowded.

I’m hopeful that wyze will rise to the API challenge and empower us custom integrators to focus more on the software then on the expensive camera.

We would be more inclined to put cameras and more locations if it were a fully API capable camera at the price point that they are.

To extend my argument people would start using these cameras to visualize self-driving technology.

It would be built in as a click in solution for facial recognition at front Gates.

They can be attached to drones if they are lightweight.

They can be clipped to firefighters hats and be lightly protected giving the fire chief an inexpensive and easily set up visualization of a situation.

And it would cost no more than a handful of these cameras and a wireless hotspot.

An API would integrate so much potential that this camera would fall off the shelf faster than I could be manufactured

4 Likes

I just purchased 4 v2 cams! Finding out that they are not compatible with Home Assistant has made me think about returning them after reviewing this “wishlist”! I can’t believe an API is not available after months of the community requesting it! It would be nice to hear something from a company official as to their plans or lack of for this in the near future! It seems it would be a good business tactic to allow integration into all the various smart home platforms out there, rather than limiting them to just one app! Right now I have to duplicate motion sensors to create automations in the same room as one of these cams. Please work on this!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @mamssw

I want API access too!!!

Have you tried the IFTTT integration to see if it fills in your needs at this time? I know Home Assistant connects with IFTTT and you can do some fancy work arounds to get things the way you want it, possibly with some python code too. I haven’t needed any of this, but thought I would let you know of some possibilities.

Also, please vote for the home assistant feature:

3 Likes