API for Download and Control

Open ecosystems are better for EVERYONE. I’ll stop it there. Make your ecosystem more open.

1 Like

An update from a Wyze employee from the reddit AMA: https://www.reddit.com/r/wyzecam/comments/ou4og6/were_the_cam_plus_team_ama/h70e6vo?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I love the Wyze products, but if some other company comes up with similar products, and publishes an API, I think the community may go that direction. Hope Wyze isn’t trying to much to focus on “revenue” and miss the advantages public API could bring. Better to have a small piece of a large pie, then 100% of a small pie. By opening up access via an API, it could make the possibilities endless!

2 Likes

When wyze team doesn’t wana give you an api so you make your own.

4 Likes

lol nice use of the chime.

1 Like

Awesome!

I totally agree!

3 Likes

It really doesn’t look like Wyze cares about APIs, integration into a smart home ecosystem, or enabling end user tinkering. It’s a shame. The products are amazing for their price.

1 Like

agreed.

I stopped purchasing their products about a year ago and began working on my own, for my own purpose. Wyze can’t/won’t figure out what they are, and have flat out refused to support an api-enabled model which could catapult them to the top of their market segment. I’m not saying I absolutely won’t ever purchase their products again, but given their push toward subscriptions and rushing to market in so many already saturated product areas, they are not innovating but just vampiring off of the smart-home space. Unfortunately, at the moment the only thing they are doing well is the affordability. Affordability without reliable functionality that meets the customer needs, however, is simply not enough.

2 Likes

Regular Guy,
I’m kind of in the same boat. I’ve quit buying anything more from Wyze as it seems that they are going the wrong direction at this time and ignoring the amazing resource of all of us in the open community. I will most likely be tearing apart my robot vacuum for parts and replacing the control system with an arduino or raspberry pi. I won’t know which until I start pulling the thing apart and decide how much I want it to be able to accomplish, probably the arduino will be enough but I know how I get and will probably add a ‘century’ mode and have it patrol my home. It’s got good hardware and it’s a good starting point but I’ve pretty much given up on them fixing the issues that I’ve been reporting from day one. Pretty much the same problem with their cameras and the issues that I have found and reported which have fallen on deaf ears. I have offered to fix the issues and send them a firmware (for free) but I’ve been ignored completely. Such a shame that they are choosing to be “smarter” than their customers.

1 Like

It’s pretty annoying that IoT companies don’t provide API’s. We get it, you want our precious data. I’d rather pay double and have complete control over my devices. Your business isn’t threatened by a minority of users that choose to automate in ways you haven’t considered. Please add this API.

2 Likes

If you really want to go all out you could get a Jetson Nano and run LiDAR. You can pick up cheap Xbox Kinect or a ESP32 board and LiDAR Scanner. Problem comes with writing the code to control the vacuum. I’m just not proficient enough in python yet to really be able to do it. All I’ve done is build some custom sensors and controllers from ESP32 boards and integrated them into Home Assistant with ESPHome. Very easy to write and compile the firmware and after the initial configuration, if baked in correctly, all future firmware upgrades are OTA.

@ldrrp What type of board do you have that ran too. It doesn’t look like any ESP32/8266 that I’ve seen. Looks like your just tripping a relay but it’s hard to tell.

API for your Watch

Create an API that allows us to push live text (e.g., captioning of conversations) from a person’s phone to your watch.

To anybody seeing this thread from google its been since 2019 that this was started and one still does not exist. I personally am of the belief they will not be making one.

Spend your money elsewhere. They just want to crank out new [Mod Edit] that barely works, get you to pay thier salary too with cloud subscriptions on hardware that should never be trusted or relied upon as a “Security” system.

They don’t, won’t, and haven’t cared and it shows

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

Pretty obvious that is the case. I have quite a bit of wyze hardware I am phasing out. Good thing it was cheap as I won’t lose too much investment. All going in the trash as I don’t want anyone to support this company any longer.

Yea I thought about selling mine or giving it to the in-laws. But I’d just be setting myself up to have to put in a better system when Wyze doesn’t live up to thier expectations. They do a great job of advertising I’ll give them that. But it’s borderline bate and switch. They sell you on one product, then give you something else and want you to pay continuously for it to kinda work. Just sickens me that I once back and talked up this company. Well I’m eating my words now and I’m betting the BBB complaints are rising.

Peter,

I would like to do the same. Seem really easy to give us an API to connect to the camera to do this. At least an IFTT would be great.

API SDK in the works for linux?

Is there any plan for an API SDK? or something similar?

carl

2 Likes