API for Download and Control

It’s pretty annoying that IoT companies don’t provide API’s. We get it, you want our precious data. I’d rather pay double and have complete control over my devices. Your business isn’t threatened by a minority of users that choose to automate in ways you haven’t considered. Please add this API.

2 Likes

If you really want to go all out you could get a Jetson Nano and run LiDAR. You can pick up cheap Xbox Kinect or a ESP32 board and LiDAR Scanner. Problem comes with writing the code to control the vacuum. I’m just not proficient enough in python yet to really be able to do it. All I’ve done is build some custom sensors and controllers from ESP32 boards and integrated them into Home Assistant with ESPHome. Very easy to write and compile the firmware and after the initial configuration, if baked in correctly, all future firmware upgrades are OTA.

@ldrrp What type of board do you have that ran too. It doesn’t look like any ESP32/8266 that I’ve seen. Looks like your just tripping a relay but it’s hard to tell.

API for your Watch

Create an API that allows us to push live text (e.g., captioning of conversations) from a person’s phone to your watch.

To anybody seeing this thread from google its been since 2019 that this was started and one still does not exist. I personally am of the belief they will not be making one.

Spend your money elsewhere. They just want to crank out new [Mod Edit] that barely works, get you to pay thier salary too with cloud subscriptions on hardware that should never be trusted or relied upon as a “Security” system.

They don’t, won’t, and haven’t cared and it shows

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

Pretty obvious that is the case. I have quite a bit of wyze hardware I am phasing out. Good thing it was cheap as I won’t lose too much investment. All going in the trash as I don’t want anyone to support this company any longer.

Yea I thought about selling mine or giving it to the in-laws. But I’d just be setting myself up to have to put in a better system when Wyze doesn’t live up to thier expectations. They do a great job of advertising I’ll give them that. But it’s borderline bate and switch. They sell you on one product, then give you something else and want you to pay continuously for it to kinda work. Just sickens me that I once back and talked up this company. Well I’m eating my words now and I’m betting the BBB complaints are rising.

Peter,

I would like to do the same. Seem really easy to give us an API to connect to the camera to do this. At least an IFTT would be great.

API SDK in the works for linux?

Is there any plan for an API SDK? or something similar?

carl

2 Likes

Same question … has anyone from Wyze actually responded to this thread (skimmed it, but it’s 3 years long).

nope. but it would be easy to create one. use either POSTMAN in Proxy mode or Charles Proxy to record all traffic between the app and their server.

then you can create an API by simulating their app talking to their server.

For those out there who haven’t tried it I highly suggest using Home Assistant

https://www.home-assistant.io/

There’s an addon for Wyze that you can setup to control most things Wyze has

https://github.com/JoshuaMulliken/ha-wyzeapi

But your left out with the cameras unless they natively support RSTP. Also, many have found that once they have the latest firmware, it breaks the code and they have to start again. Secondly, one time the developer had enabled a binary sensor so you could use your cameras as motion detectors. Pulling the same info your phone app would do. They told him to stop or be blacklisted because it was overloading their servers. Yea that’s right, a group of maybe 2000 people using this one specific piece of code is “overloading the servers”? If that truly is the case then they have much larger fish to fry, but it is them again pushing away any form of outside control. They want you locked into their software eco system so you keep paying that monthly subscription. Knowing that there will be a good 20% or more of people who will sign up not really knowing, forgetting about the subscription, and letting it run even though that one cool doorbell we bought last year and replaced is gone.

I’ve been testing Wyze since their first product and had very high hopes. Even turned on a few friends and colleagues, not that’s coming back to haunt me. All because they decided to not back the people who originally backed them, the home enthusiast, and instead go the same route as Ring, and so many others. Subscription plans and no real control.

They want you to pay forever. I gave up.

Give Home Assistant a try. You can install it on a RaspberryPi of your choosing or they have pre-made hardware for sale. Almost every major hardware is supported in one way or another or is being worked on. Most will be auto detected for you. Save yourself and your family from Multi-App Confusion

https://www.home-assistant.io/

And may the force be with you……

Lord NeX

1 Like

Would be nice if this new web view beta they have going on would allow an update to that intergration to allow live view without rtsp.

1 Like

Enable API/SDK and allow plugins on WyzeCam APP

This is a multipart ask, but I do believe could help in development in some of the feature requests.

1. Enable 3rd party features/plugins on the WyzeCAM App
  2. Provide SDK and/or API
  3. Give WyzeCam users the ability to develop some features as a plugin.
  4. Have a Plugin Store which is curated/validated/tested by WyzeCam Staff to ensure no malice or security issues have been added

[Mod Note]: Your topic, associated replies and votes were merged to this #wishlist request for better visibility and consistency in grouping similar requests.

1 Like

This would be most welcome. I would love to create a $200 full-body motion capture system!

I’m just hoping for RSTP!

1 Like

Provide a publicly available SDK & develop a community of contributors

As a long time software developer, including open & closed source, and a Wyze user needing new features, I would like for Wyze to develop a publicly available SDK, including a test harness (simulators, test cloud environment, etc), so that I can register as a Wyze community developer and build the features that I need on my own and contribute them back to Wyze. You could even award credits toward future purchases or something if a developer makes something popular.

Thanks,
Matthew

https://linkedin.com/in/matthewadams

PS: Notice the handy user story format I used! :wink:

1 Like

I love the Wyze products, but without the APIs it’s very restrictive. Another solution would be to be able to push MQTT messages. It would be a good compromise.

Wasted words, brother, Wyze has/had/and will never have the desire, nor the in-house talent to develop any API.
They have simply cobbled together the base minimum needed to have their products function, and have no ability to provide any functional ability to integrate into any industry standards.