API for Developers

Wyze is doing amazing work, from its incredible, affordable cameras, to its new Sense product line. I am really excited to watch you innovate as a small company. Yet, this wishlist category is filled with feature requests that will take years for Wyze to get through, even with their success and recent round of funding.

Wyze also has a great community of users, as evidenced by this very forum, and the excellent Wyze community over on Reddit. There are people doing really fun and creative things with their Wyze products, and a lot of really smart people who are wishing that they could do more.

You know how Wyze could leverage its great community to help it chip away at their growing wishlist of features? By releasing a public, documented API for their products. With an API, even a simple one, I could personally implement support for HomeKit via Homebridge, support for Home Assistant, tools for backing up recorded content, and additional automations.

There are so many great features and ideas that the community is sharing here in the forums, and I think Wyze, with its limited time and resources, could help accelerate the fulfillment of these wishes by enabling developers like me to get creative and solve problems with an API.

I’ve already personally implemented HomeKit integration for my Wyze cameras as motion sensors via IFTTT and Homebridge, but because I am having to go through an intermediary (IFTTT) rather than dealing directly with the Wyze devices through an API, its too slow to really be useful… I’m itching for the real deal!

This would be great. I am a software engineer and have build some applications using facial recognition. If there was a thumbnail api on a motion event I could easily write a quick app to compare it to known faces and send a text or notification of who it is if they are known or it is a unknown person.

2 Likes

I am also interested to know if Wyze has any plan to release cloud API to access the camera motion, sense and other info/events.

2 Likes

Hi,

With all the new wyze sense devices and wyze bulbs on the way it would be great if the API was public and or published so we could integrate these wonderful devices with all kinds of different smart home platforms ranging from Smart Things, Home Assistant, OpenHab and many more.

Thanks for considering this request.

3 Likes

This would be a great addition to the Wyze Platform.

2 Likes

I can see the developer API program can be even more important for Wyze considering the bulb, sense and future products Wyze are going to introduced into Smart Home area. Leveraging other developers’ resource will just help Wyze’s integration with others go faster and wider.

2 Likes

I would love this as well!

In the meantime I have the following: https://github.com/noelportugal/wyze-node, I can do most of the actions the mobile app can do…

2 Likes

i totally support idea of API ( maybe JSON )

using IFTTT … how slow is “slow” ?

1 Like

For smart home applications, if it’s not “immediate” (~1sec), it’s slow. :rofl: