Android app automatically storing videos and pictures locally.. why?

If I view a recorded motion video, it automatically saves to a new album in my gallery. If I click a camera and then back out of it, the preview picture that it generates under each camera also saves to another new album. It’s turning into a cluster in my gallery. I don’t want anything saved unless I specifically download it… And even then, it ends up saving to my main camera album. Why is simply viewing things creating albums on my phone? I tried to revoke permission but the app won’t function when I do that.

Edit: A new gallery is also created to store my pan scan waypoints. This all seems very unnecessary :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I have noticed this more recently also. Should be able to have one folder for the wyze app to download anything into.

2 Likes

Any update on this?

Hey LDelSanto86

By design, when you tap an Event thumbnail (12-sec cloud clip) if it is the first time you have viewed it, it is downloaded from the cloud and saved to a cache on your device.

If you access the same Event again, it is loaded from the cache (assuming you haven’t Cleared Cache in the interim.)

Wyze app > Account > App Settings > Cache File Size > Clear

Clearing cache will remove any auto-saved Event videos from your device.

Check out this topic (especially the Postscripts section) for some useful detail on the Android file system:

Is there any way to turn this feature off? Like I said, it clutters up my phone’s gallery and I don’t want to have to either clear the cache or delete the files manually every time I use the app. This also doesn’t address the thumbnails being saved for my Wyze PanCam waypoints.

I don’t understand the feature of caching the files to my device when there is already a dedicated download button… if it was something that I wanted to watch more than once I would just use that feature.

I tried to disable the permissions for storage access (as I never download clips, don’t want anything at all saved locally to my phone, and have SD cards in all of my cams) but when I do this, the app will not run. I don’t know why it’s necessary for the app to access my storage when I don’t want it to, nor should it be required to in order to view clips saved in a cloud or on my SD cards.

No. But you can do this:

I think the cache function exists to save network resources - both for Wyze (cloud server) and for the customer (data plan.) Plus it should be marginally faster to display from a local cache than a remote server.

With respect to thumbnail images from the Pan waypoints, etc, I expect it’s baked in. Permissions, too. There are Wishlist and Roadmap sections you can search through to see if like minded folks have already created a topic. If not, you can create your own in the Wishlist category.

https://forums.wyzecam.com/c/wishlist