An update regarding Person Detection

We apologize for the disappointment and frustration, folks. I’m sharing this feedback with the team and we appreciate you taking the time to talk to us about the situation and our messaging.

3 Likes

It just business.

But I purchased all of my $20 - $37 Wyze cams without that AI expectations. When it was added, I perceived it as a cool, free, unexpected, additional “bonus” functionally. I had the understanding that enhancement was an “Easy-come, easy-go.” thing and I wondered how XNOR could provide this technology for this market segment, given it high potential value to other more lucrative endeavors.

A potential speculative reason could be a more expensively priced video camera manufactured offered larger amounts of money for the exclusive licensing rights to XNOR’s embedded IP after seeing how it worked in a real-world, broad scale application with the Wyze products.

We may never know the reality.

3 Likes

I’m sure I’m not the only one who is not looking forward to another series of software and firmware releases that ‘almost’ get it right. :frowning_face:

Please, PLEASE, P L E A S E test everything thoroughly before release.

5 Likes

I’m taking the wait and see approach moving forward. As my experience started to change with each iteration after the addition of the Wyze bulbs.

Godspeed Wyze Team

2 Likes

Is there any chance of going back to the negotiating table here or is this a done deal?

It sounds done, especially since WYZE says they are working on their own version.

2 Likes

Thank you for the update. I hope the new person detection will be an improvement from the current one, like others stated my cameras hardly picked up people even right in front of it too.

Thanks for the transparency!

1 Like

We are working on improving our testing and update processes. We understand your hesitation, @R_T and @masterep, and will work to earn back your trust. It is possible that AI would need a little more trial and error than other features but I can’t say for sure.

2 Likes

While they are at it, they may want to tell Xnor.ai to remove those Wyze comment endorsements they have on their Smart Home page.

2 Likes

You pirated the Xnor.ai people? :grin:

3 Likes

Sad news, but glad you are working on a fix. I wasn’t completely impressed with the Xnor.ai detection anyway. You really should allow the user to fix the cooldown time for detection so we can customize it in the app based on that specific camera. This might be an easy way to get around the person detection false detection issue in the meanwhile.

1 Like

Thats exactly what I think…

Great transparency and love how you are trying to do your best for your customers. I wish more companies were like this!!

2 Likes
2 Likes

I know someone who has been trying to reach you with an edge AI solution. How do they contact the proper department?
Cheers
M

2 Likes

They stated above they are unsure, the AI does work locally on the cam, however the actual notification comes from the cloud, so it will probably depend on what they are obligated to remove.

1 Like

As per @Loki post:
https://wyze-labs.breezy.hr/

1 Like

As much as this news is extremely disappointing, especially because I have had many coworkers, friends and family purchase cameras because of my recommendation mainly because the cameras have/had person detection, I do understand that these things happen.

I do think Wyze should offer their complete motion capture for free for at least 2 or 3 cameras until they get their in house person detection going. I feel like this would be a very fair compromise because a lot of people have bought the cameras specifically for this feature.

As for a class action against Wyze, I REALLY hope this does NOT happen as it will most likely ruin a very good company who still has integrity and seems to genuinely care about their customers.

Wyze, Person detection should be the company’s number one priority right now and making the in house person detection work in early 2020, not later.

Please keep up the good work and put the outdoor camera on the back burner for now.

5 Likes

This x10000000.

They need to make this right for consumers somehow. I really feel duped.

3 Likes