An update regarding Person Detection

For those that are trying to guilt us into appearing greedy or impatient because I’m considering alternatives to Wyze: My patience has been tested recently when my neighbors experienced a break-in & robbery just down the street. That’s exactly why I bought Wyze in the first place, but I go to check my Wyze camera and there’s no video playback! Why? IDK. I’ve brought it up a few times on this forum, but no response. Also, no notifications of person detection. Inconsistent Events, etc. My families safety matters, so I depend on Wyze to help out when we need them and to be dependable on a highly consistent basis.

4 Likes

Who’s that directed at?

Yeah, didn’t record anything all night until i got up and checked the app this morning. Then, all of a sudden, i get 10 notifications detecting movement.

1 Like

There is video playback through the app.

1. You need to put a microSD card into the bottom of the camera (may need to format it through the wyze app)
  2. You need to enable recording

Then if you’ve done both you can go to a camera in the wyze app and click playback and will have access to however much footage your SD card can hold.

1 Like

So if there are hurdles with CMC using person detection that kind of suggest to me that the problem involves running person detection algorithms for an extended period of time. Why would they not just have person detection run in the same 12 second bracket at the start of a CMC recorded video If no person is detected during that first 12 seconds wipe the algorithm and start it over at the 12-second Mark and go on through the next 12 seconds and see if a person is detected.

That way the algorithm doesn’t have to do anything that it wasn’t already doing and working with and you can still have person detection working throughout the duration of the CMC video. maybe I’m missing something but to me that kind of seems like a simple no brainer. Has this possibility been discussed by Dev yet?

1 Like

No honor in name calling… Disagree as you may but why name calling? It destroys any credibility your post may have had.

I agree, however, for those of us who didnt manage to read all 900+ replies, can you please address your comment to the actual name of the person? it would be helpful. Thx :wink:

Edit : nevermind I see it, first time here not familiar with the specifics yet. Disregard

1 Like

Takes awhile to get used to the intricacies of the forum. Discourse is hugely powerful and customizable. Jeff Atwood, one of the creators of Discourse is an awesome guy with major talent. As soon as you think you have it all figured out you realize you have just scratched the surface. :grinning:

1 Like

So you expected 1000$ performance out of a 20$ camera and Free App? Wyze hasn’t ever marketed these cameras as even a “Potential Security System” People Buy them and “See” if they will fit their needs…Have they launched something without cooking it all the way? Undoubtedly … But that’s what Beta’s are for. Do I have these things all around my property? Yes, Am I going to Blame Wyze for not catching someone ripping me off? Hell no, That’s why I have Several big dogs. I don’t rely on Electronics to save my family and property. It still takes The Sheriff 45 mins. to show up around here. It’s a Tool, If it doesn’t work for you, Move on BEFORE you buy 30 of these.

Maybe keep it mind, people are different today, I grew up surrounded by Grandparents, Uncles, Auntys, Parents who all fixed and handmade items in the 1970’s.

Today, its just buy stuff, buy replacement stuff, buy better stuff, provide feedback on how you like your stuff and how fast you want your stuff, and then proceed to tell how the stuff should be the way you want the stuff customized - hence Starbucks!

We expected customer service, which was born from Nordstrom back in the 80’s and now most businesses have a CSI, customer service index, rating system, which it out of control with unrealistic expectations.

If I told my Grandparents, born in the early 1900, how much it cost for a coffee drink at Starbucks they would have had me committed or scolding would have started for being so …

Today, sadly, people have high expectations for everything, demand even more for no additional cost, but they really don’t perceive the appropriate value. As I can see so many young people driving way too expensive sports coupe cars with very little practical usability but more for status.

I was very happy and satisfied with my $20 Wyze Cam that I purchased 2 1/2 years ago that worked very well as it was. However with all the constant request for additional features my devices last summer became very unstable and unreliable, with each firmware and mobile application update. I’m not even counting Xnor.

My only recourse was to manually reinstall all 13 cameras an old firmware and to stop updating the mobile app and deal with that version’s updated issues but reestablish some peace and sanity of mind for myself and my family’s.

My request for person detection is, I want it to be stable and burden free!

There has been way to many updates correcting mistakes.

1 Like

I had the old person detection because I did not update the firmware. I have not checked the progress of the new cloud based person detection for over a month. Today I started reading this thread and decided to update the firmware! So far I got
1 event did not detect person
1 event detected person but there was no person (just windchime moving)
2 events correctly detected person

So 50% not bad.

I completely agree, But there also needs to be the understanding that this is a relatively new company, that I would pretty much think did not have a Microsoft sized bldg., with the Development dept. to match. Or the budget, and the fact that they have been trying to stay open in the new pandemic age. In Seattle. The Governor has closed most of these businesses down. So I believe I can cut them a little slack when they try to be all things to all People. That being said, I too would like a Nice stable platform, and as long as I can revert back to some semblance of operation, I can wait. My PD has been working pretty damn well, I must say. Rant over. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I bought the microSD cards when I bought my cameras several mos. ago, View Playback worked well for the first few months, but then recently in the last month + stopped working consistently. I would get the “No video available” message when attempting to look at View Playback. Each time I restart the camera for it to start working again.

To stick with your Q&A format…
Do I expect my $20 camera to act like a $1,000 camera? No I don’t! Never have.
Did I buy the camera as a form of “Potential Security System?” Yes, I did. Most people have bought these to help provide some form of security/recording device, even if it is cheap sense of security… It’s not just a toy. Most buy them expecting them to work as advertised.
Do I rely on “electronics” to save my family and property? No I don’t. Get a grip dude.
Most of us have been very patient as they work through fine-tuning their person detection Beta testing. Ultimately consumers want and need “tools” they can depend on consistently.

4 Likes

Everything will eventually get straightened out when wyze is bought by either Amazon, Google, Apple, or some other huge tech company and all their products are folded into an existing product line.

That is unlikely.
All of the Wyze products are rebranded existing products.
Any of the companies you mentioned could do the same thing without buying out Wyze.
The only original Wyze product is the firmware and software. I don’t know if there is enough value in these to warrant a buyout.

4 Likes

Does anyone have experience with EUFY camera human detection?

A slight clarification: Wyze also modifies the hardware specs and has the devices manufactured to those modified specs. Therefore, the hardware is not identical to the off-the-shelf similar looking hardware.

5 Likes

Yes I have 5 cam 2C’s and the Human Detection is amazing!! I have these out in my barn area and the Wyze cams around my house.

3 Likes

Interesting. Can you elaborate on how their V2 camera hardware is differentiated from the white-label hardware?