An update regarding Person Detection

Not sure if someone already posted this, but if you currently have the person detection firmware and want to keep it, you need to bring up Live view in every one of your apps (on all the android and idevices you installed the app). You will see a pop up asking to install new firmware. Make sure you check the box don’t ask me again and click cancel. That way, you or your spouse or your kids will not accidentally update the firmware!

1 Like

So the motion sense on my wyze cam black is working just fine, does the motion currently not work for the wyze cam pan??? I just bought 4!!!

Wyze should have pulled its unsold inventory and repackaged it once the loss of their AI partner was known.

Leaving this old inventory in the marketplace could trigger a class-action lawsuit by those who bought mislabeled devices and/or existing customers who bought additional cameras due to the person detection functionality.

A good example of this is the class action lawsuit against Best Buy and LG for selling mislabeled TV which which were advertised 120Hz refresh rate, but had a 60Hz refresh rate.

The Best Buy analogy is not similar in this case. That was a hardware specification that Best Buy mis-advertised. Wyze had to temporarily remove the person detection feature because they lost their AI partner. That was unfortunate and unplanned. Wyze IS going to roll out their own AI solution, and that was stated in the original post at the beginning of this thread. That same posting was sent in an email to existing Wyze camera customers on 11/26/2019. Their existing inventory may be currently “mis-labeled”, but that is being remedied with their home-grown solution. The only thing we don’t know is exactly when that is going to happen.

2 Likes

Person detection isn’t essential for us…mostly it just supplies entertainment when our cat is detected as a person, and we are not. It is sometimes right, too - not saying the cat is a person and saying we are.

My suggestion: In your own AI version, add something where the user can enter the distance range being seen by the camera. Our camera is just looking at the cat door on a small back porch, to see if our cat has left, or wants to come in, nothing more than 3’ away and aimed at cat/foot level. Others are looking out on streetscapes, yards, or parking lots up to 100’ away or more. Surely it would help the AI to know what scale to expect. (More complicated for pan cameras; ours is fixed.)

Gotta go - kitty wants in!

2 Likes

I do love this idea! Please give your kitty some love for me. :slight_smile:

Thank you! I think it would really improve the detection, and would make your software potentially better than the one you just lost!

Kitty loves the way we let him in faster, though of course he doesn’t understand why. We’ll give him an extra head rub for you.

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

1 Like

I’ve had something similar going for awhile now. Not sure if its exactly what you’ve experienced, but keeping my cam pans at backlevel firmware has been my solution thus far.

Stuff can literally happen right in front of my cam pans at later firmwares, yet all they capture are smart alerts for the most part. The lone cam v2 I’ve deployed seems to capture its own motion events as expected.

Which firmware do you have them on? I’ve tried downgrading the firmare and the still don’t detect motion or tag the motion or anything, all they do is detect sound !! I’m about to just return them if I can’t get them to sense any motion at all :frowning:

Messaged you directly since this topic might deviate from the thread somewhat.

2 Likes

Any update on person detection?

We are about to start early stage external testing for it and are making progress. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Thanks for the update! That’s great news!!!

2 Likes

That is awesome thank you for the update!

2 Likes

You’re welcome! Thanks for checking in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Person detection is important for me, as I don’t want to lose sleep over unnecessary notifications on my phone for moths, rain, and other non-person motion. At this point, I am getting zero notifications from my externally mounted cameras, which reduces their value to me.
The previous person detection was working ok for me. Wyze detected when someone was within range of the cameras, except when I was wearing my bulky coat with its hood over my head. The AI must have thought I was a bear walking around, lol.
I just received an alert today that Amazon has a sale on the Wyze cams, but I’m inclined not to order any more at this point until the release of person detection. I’ve worked in software development and testing, and I know how schedules can be delayed/re-prioritized. I want to be sure I have working software installed before I expand my use of the cameras.
I am also looking forward to the availability of a ‘Ring’ type of doorbell camera. I would buy one of the Rings, but I prefer just one app (Wyze) for viewing all my cameras.

1 Like

I have several Wyze cameras and a Ring Doorbell cam. It would be nice to have them all in the same app!

Alexa handles both Wyze Cam’s and Ring Doorbell camera’s.

Yes it does. But when I am away from home that does not help. :grin:

Is there any date when the new version of Person Detection will be available? I am trying to wait to update the cameras from the last update until the new version comes out. I don’t want to lose Person Detection if I don’t have to.

2 Likes