An update regarding Person Detection

:joy::joy: 09!

Thanks for the update , appreciated the forthright content.

Iā€™m on board with that 100%.

Given the Wyze history of screwing up software and firmware it will be a cold day in hell before I use any of their products having to do with physical access to my property. To be perfectly honest, in that regard they have already lost me as a potential customer for a ā€˜Wyze Lockā€™ because of their demonstrated inability to maintain stable functionality of their existing products.

5 Likes

Not trying to pile on too much here because Iā€™ve already said my peace about many of these things in this thread (and others). I also donā€™t want to shove my foot too far into my mouth lest my late night brain misspeakā€¦ AND I really dig Wyze as an institution. Not trying to bash them or kick them while theyā€™re down. Pretty sure everyone wants them to succeed in grand fashion. I know that I do!

The namesake of this thread wasnā€™t their fault by all appearances, but depending on an outside vendor to provide the service always had this outcome as an inherent risk. Understood that all is not lost since they retain the original data set upon which to build it even better.

Agree with you that the various (separate) product teams can walk and chew gum at the same time. However, itā€™s bad foozball defense to spin more than one handle at once. I think the point that others here are trying to make is that the app has to be modified in several areas simultaneously to accommodate the new products, while also adding new (or revamping existing) features to itself. The perception being that too much of a good thing at once can ultimately be a bad thing.

Putting it another way, too much tweaking concurrently at too many turns opens up more avenues for bug persistence & compounding. Features & products are great; confidence in them and the app to perform reliably on a consistent basis is even betterā€¦ :wink:

I think theyā€™re in a natural growing-pain stage. Iā€™ve seen it with a lot of companies/apps as they expand products or functionality. Thereā€™s often a period of weirdness while they figure out the best way for everything to work together as a whole, and that sometimes takes a bit of trial and error, feedback from users, etc.

They were a camera company for about a year and a half, and the app was built with that in mind. Now theyā€™ve got bulbs, plugs, locks, two types of sensors, and more products in the pipeline. (Thermostat, outdoor camera, scale, doorbell, and probably several they havenā€™t acknowledged yet) When they started the company, Iā€™m not sure how much of that was already planned, but I doubt all of it was. So the app was originally designed with a narrower scope than it now serves. Theyā€™ve acknowledged that the app is bloated and hard to navigate in its current form, and my understanding is that theyā€™re working on revamping the app and cloud architecture in a major way in the next few quarters.

2 Likes

Confidence level == high in the veracity of your synopsisā€¦ :smile:

However, Iā€™d never trust Alexa, that no-good eavesdropping B____ :rofl: (Brad & Peyton are foolish!)

EDIT-1: Funny you mention about growing pains. Iā€™ve been in the IT department of a local company since 2003. We had only an HQ and one other branch office at the time. Now weā€™ve grown to (12) retail locations with (1) CoLo. Internally, its been like drinking from a fire hose when Iā€™m not all that thirsty. By & large, however, weā€™ve kept the customer-facing side of our technology pretty stable even across various platform upgrades. Our biggest pain point over time has actually been ISP outages; and weā€™re in the process of moving Internet to a multi-provider solution for rapid failover.

I think something like this would be great if Wyze would develop this AI feature with a hub/ NAS/NVR:

Haā€¦ Iā€™ll subcontract you to build mine! Iā€™ve got enough projects already and was hoping for more of a Wyze-native product with standard firmware.

I do have a synology disk station as well as a windoze server, but by all accounts the RTSP firmware isnā€™t terribly robust. How has your experience been with it?

Sorry, no development experience here, just found that on a blog site that I visit every now and then and I thought that maybe possible to use as the main board for IP camerasā€™ hub/NAS/NVR that could feature this person detection AI.

RTSP firmware is what convince me to buy WyzeCams, but since all my camerasā€™ are deployed on production environment, Iā€™m afraid to even try the firmware having read more problems than success from those whoā€™ve tried using it.

Quick question thatā€™s probably already been asked: if we donā€™t update the firmware will we retain person detection on our cameras?

The answer is that weā€™re not 100% sure on that one. But I do know that if you ever turn the person detection off, you wonā€™t be able to turn it on again in that case.

4 Likes

@UserCustomerGwen, shall we keep ā€œsharing videos to help improve AIā€? Will you (Wyze) use them to train your own AI, or would we just be helping the traitorous rebel scumā€¦ eh, I meanā€¦ the people at xnor.ai? :smile:

2 Likes

Weā€™ll be using the videos for our own algorithm! And XNOR has deleted all copies of videos that they had. Thanks for checking in! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Ok, thanks for your answer!

1 Like

My pleasure. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry to hear person detection has to be removed and glad to see youā€™re already working on alternatives. I understand youā€™re now leaning towards a cloud-AI solution. This means the AI code doesnā€™t use the camā€™s limited capacity anymore but itā€™s external to it, right?
@UserCustomerGwen, does this now give back the needed space for everyone to get RTSP as part of the main release? Thanks for making RTSP available but I havenā€™t used it, though I greatly support this, as I would not want to miss out on all other goodies the main release offers (e.g. AI).

So now after the free trial of continuous stream, we have to pay for continuous streaming as well.

That has always been the plan. They announced from day 1 that there was a free trial period for constant monitoring after that there would be a subscription fee

5 Likes

So you expect Wyze to incur an ongoing cost to provide the service but give it away for free forever? Thatā€™s a business model that will put a company out of business pretty quick.

3 Likes

No, you can still stream your cameras continuously, You just canā€™t park the stream in Wyzeā€™s data cloud for free.
/edit - I should have wrote you just canā€™t park streams over 12 seconds once every 5 minutes

2 Likes