An update regarding Person Detection

I doubt WYZE will be able to renegotiate a deal since the other company is the one who wanted out of it. Almost every item of tech I have purchased has had features stripped away. Lowe’s IRIS security system completely shut down. SmartThings removed features the ‘classic’ app had when they made the new app. Google Nest has removed the Works with Nest API, so unfortunately that is commonplace. At least WYZE is coming out with their own and the feature will return.

4 Likes

I think jjb1’s argument goes like this:

Since Xnor.ai unexpectedly wanted out of the contract, Wyze should be allowed to negotiate a grace period for continued use of the library while they develop a replacement.

4 Likes

Well, I totally support the fact that you want to improve and make it do what it is supposed to do. It is the main reason I have not bought more cameras, yet. I look forward to “OUR” future.
Quick question born out of frustration. I can’t remember the path to have it do continual recording. Can someone give me the short cut?

2 Likes

Have had the SD card in since I purchased the camera. Have had continuous recording in the past but had changed it. I followed the steps but it keeps saying that the operation has failed. Do I seriously need to be formatted again?

Personally, I’ve never cared that much about person detection vs other bread & butter features (expanded shortcut actions, fully developed scheduler, etc.) and bug fixes (dimmed playback is still with us). Neither do I crave another recurring monthly bill in my life (CMC).

All of that said, I still believe this might be the cleanest solution to it all. Person detection processing & continuous recording remain on the same local LAN as the cams themselves. Another advantage is that it might limit future firmware upgrade needs to the DVR hub itself for new feature rollouts… as opposed to the need to upgrade each individual cam.

1 Like

Is your card showing up in local storage?
Go ahead and format the card it might help

And when Wyze does release their own it will be theirs and this won’t have to happen again. An upside.

2 Likes

Thank you for your honesty in how this came about. I cant say that for me its a dealbreaker as I mostly use this to check on things at the cottage while away .I have multiple wyze cameras at the cottage and home and really could not have afforded having a “security” company install this. I think that for the price of these cameras we are all getting more than our moneys worth and I appreciate wyze trying to keep cost on all their items as low as possible…to our advantage…they gave this (person detection) to us for free and for reasons beyond their control they need to regroup and come up with another solution , I cant imagine asking them for compensation for something that was not their fault and which they obviously feel bad about.
One thing though I was wondering about …I m not savvy enough…if person detection was onboard the cameras , I assume it was not using data from my router to "detect " a person whereas if its done through the cloud does that mean that everytime motion is detected it will send it to the server to be analyzed ? The reason I ask is I have multiple cameras (7) but since its a cottage I have a limited data plan and dont want to use all of this to “analyze” every motion that is detected. So in a nutshell , will a cloud service for detection use more data than an onboard solution ?
Thank you again and looking forward to your future products ie: outdoor cam,doorbell,floodlights

3 Likes

Thank you for being upfront and honest with us about the removal of this feature. Sometimes bad deals are made we learn and move on. I look forward to the new AI when it shows up. Until then I will get reacquainted with insects around my home along with the other things that will set off the motion alarm.

I really want to see this company succeed, the products you manufacture are good quality and the software is evolving all the time. When you invest your time and money in a start-up with goals like yours you cannot go wrong. Ignore the negative comments, and learn from this.

I believe in what you are doing, I currently own 8 bulbs, 4 cameras, and 4 plugs. I have 4 bridges along with door break sensors and motion sensors. I believe in the story you are trying to tell keep listening your user base and we will keep buying products.

3 Likes

I support your idea of Wyze developing their own Hub / NVR / NAS drive; I believe also that offloading the processing of motion/sensor detection, specially the AI for person detection will free the camera to dedicate its resources on capturing and streaming video. But I would suggest to have an option to use SATA HDD / SSD, since NVMe SSD is quite expensive and at the moment not even mainstream yet.

In a nutshell - Yes. (Also outside of a nutshell. :laughing:)

2 Likes

I hope they gave Wyze users lots of Kudos for sending in all their videos to tune their product!

I don’t think cloud based person detection will necessarily use more data than the current on-camera implementation. Here’s why: In the current implementation, you must have regular (non-person) motion detection turned on in order to enable person notifications. This means that in the current implementation, the clips that are being analyzed onboard the camera are also already being sent to the cloud.

Here’s the support site reference:

2 Likes

Thanks @Kaloy,

Storage-wise, I’ll meet you in the middle with 2.5" SSD support… :wink: I’d still like M.2 slots available though.

And, actually, sata interface M.2 drives are much less expensive than NVMe while eliminating the need for 2.5" bays.

NVMe SSD is more mainstream than you believe . If one purchases a decently spec’d notebook (e.g, on over $500), they will likely find one inside. While they are more expensive than hard drives per GB, and probably always will be for very large capacities, they may not be as expensive as you believe. That said, an NVMe SSD would certainly be overkill for the number of cameras a 2.4 GHz WiFi connection could handle.

Also, despite being an SSD aficionado myself (I’ve had SSDs in my computers since back in 2010 when $100 for 40 GB was a bargain), I don’t see the need for them in an NVR. Hard drives do well enough with sequential writes, and when you factor in that data is written 24/7, an SSD probably wouldn’t last longer than a hard drive before failure.

Finally, if the NVR came in a “no drive” configuration, there would be nothing preventing someone preferring to use an SSD from fitting it with a SATA SSD. I should note here that at some point I expect NVMe SSDs to actually become less expensive per byte than 2.5" SATA SSDs.

@LonnieM,

I was thinking NVMe / SSD more in terms of playback performance than recording. Also to reduce bulk & power consumption since any M.2 form factor device is minuscule compared to 2.5" / 3.5" device widths.

Plus, I wouldn’t build a “Wyze Premium” product - upon which to base future goodness - using underperforming storage devices. I envision something small & elegant here, unlike a big bulky NAS or SAN… :slight_smile:

Don’t upgrade your firmware.

2 Likes

Yeah… NVMe SSD is becoming mainstream on server/workstation market, but in my place most surveillance companies’ NVRs still use the following types of SATA HDDs:

And I think they are practical based on price/GB specially for continuous recording (24/7) from several cameras.

It seems to be working now. Thank you.

1 Like