An update on outdoor camera

After purchasing my first Wyze camera a few months ago I started searching for their outdoors cameras and was a surprised to learn that there weren’t any! So I was happy to read on this forum that they’re in the works and I’m Really looking forward to a great inexpensive outdoor camera from Wyze!

1 Like

Can’t wait for the outdoor camera

Same! We just had some incidents at my boat club and I’ve convinced them to place some indoor cameras, but outdoor and battery powered will be better (can’t drill into a historic home to run power and I want to mount some away from the home facing it)

1 Like

Is there a summary on what has been confirmed for the outdoor camera? This thread is so long it is impossible to read it all. I am specifically trying to find info on the battery. I know that this cam will be wired and have a rechargeable battery, i am wondering how long a charge lasts, how long it takes to recharge a battery, and if a spare battery will be able to be purchased so if you have one charging you can still have one in the camera. Thanks yall!

1 Like

What you know is true. What you want to know is unknown. Probably won’t have information until early access which timeframe is also unknown.

3 Likes

@mrlinton1 is correct , the information you seek will not be available until the outdoor camera is available for early access

5 Likes

@HDRock ahhhhh well. that is prob why i cant find anything on it :smile:

1 Like

Hmmm…sorry, but I dont see the need for this “outdoor” CAM as a “really important” product to launch any time soon. You should concentrate about your “core business” within the Wyze CAM v2 and Pan to make those sensor-correct. Ppl already shown that V2 can be used outdoor in many shapes - let them play around and use it “as is”…

Focus on your primary, please!

1). Keep your product line simple & cheap!
2). Update the features within that line
3). Keep your online services (MMR) expanding - that include services within smartAPP
4). Ppl. normally dont know what they want until you tell & show them…

PS: And do re-think your strategy about 110V (plugs) for typically US to be expanded for “The world” - although you won’t sell - or do sell outside US - “we do manage” to buy those US plugs/CAM’s to be shipped to EU. It would be a blast to just “plug & play” and no need for 220v adapters.

Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

I would have to respectfully disagree. Have you used the V2 camera outside? Yes, it can be done. I have 5 setup outside. I will replace these with a proper outdoor camera the moment the become available. The V2 does NOT make a good outdoor camera. Primarily because of the way motion detection works. Any breeze blowing a tree limb… Any cloud moving past the sun… creates false motion alerts. The ONLY reason I use the V2 outside is because that was the only option from Wyze (and I liked they’re camera / price point.) Depending on how the battery performs, I’ll be increasing the number of cameras deployed. I’d say an outdoor camera is the most important product Wyze could launch at this point. Way more so than the recent locks, plugs, and bulbs. But obviously this is my opinion.

1 Like

Listen! I have 5x V2’s sitting outside my house and watching everything 24-7 mounted with SDcard - and they work just like a champ! And by “outside my house” I mean, that they are covered by the Wifi signal on 2,4Ghz. None of them are protected by those Amazon-housings you can buy. Despite the V2 or “a new outdoor cam” they BOTH have to be better on detect “motion” ie. the new camera would be based on the exact same firmware/logic like V2 - therefor…go solve the “motion” stuff on the V2 in the first place! I’m sure that goes for PAN version too. For outdoor CAM you have to have Wifi coverage and power. You might find a sneaky solution by batteries- rechargeable, but you won’t always find wifi coverage in your garden etc. Then what?

So…back to the product/range … your arguments obviously lack on understanding how to R&D and keep your product range simple ie. make money! Loads of ppl. would love zillions of crazy stuff…and it would be fantastic to let them have it - but that’s not the way you evolve your current product to even better within a price range not to be beaten by anyone else - or for that matter higher quality. I’m not aware if you notice that Wyze lost their deal for AI in CAMs… again…fix what you have instead hunting ghost you might not find! :wink:

Are there any updates on the Wyze Outdoor Camera?

1 Like

I’m Canadian and we place high premium on specialization. Wyze rapid product expansion is clearly telling on the quality of its core product - cameras. Complaints are close to the level of the praises we read about the cameras after launch

Yes, are there anymore updates? We manage several rental units and have intended to purchase cameras for the perimeter for a while now, but held off when we saw wyze was introducing outdoor cams. Business is really picking up though and we aren’t sure we should wait much longer, so updates as often as possible would really put us at ease.

1 Like

By all means, it is better to take the time necessary to get this right than to rush things out the door as some of the other camera manufacturers have done.

I can attest to the challenges of PIR motion sensors outdoors. I use a variety of cameras currently and find that bright sun with puffy clouds moving overhead are a source of constant false alarms on some days. Tree branches are also very challenging.

I also will offer my vote for the outdoor battery powered camera to offer the additional options of POE and solar power. I use both of these extensively. They are big improvements over battery alone when the location of the camera allows for the addition of these power source. I have several Arlo battery cameras on solar panels that I never need to touch even during the winter because the sun keeps them charged up. Related to this, be sure to consider a black color option or silicone cover for the winter months. I have found they often improve the camera operating temperature range on cold, sunny days. I have had solar changers work well when it was 19 degrees F outside. The camera generally will not charge below 32F, so this represents a nice extension of the operating range.

1 Like

The PIR challenges baffle me. RAB Lighting solved them many years ago. Zero false triggers in the decade or so since I started using their STL360 products (in PA and AZ, so a mix of environments). Not sure what their secret sauce is, but look no further if you want a best-in-class design to emulate.

1 Like

Is there any update on the Outdoor Camera?

Hi Wyze Team. I have been experimenting with a wyze cam outside. If you would be interested in my results let me know. It may help with your research on an outdoor camera. FYI free information not looking to get paid.

Well it does not look like any updates.

Any updates coming soon?

1 Like

I mean I can buy some more V2 and daisy chain one another from the existing one. But given that we know sooner or later we are gonna have an outdoor version, what are we gonna do with the extra V2’s afterward? Because I am already thinking about how to set up a parameter with the Wyze outdoors, then all those indoor V2 have to go somewhere. That just bothers me.