An update on outdoor camera

I think McDonalds would appreciate the traffic!

I understand this is how you feel, but it would be nice to back information like this up with facts and links.

2 Likes

WHAT???
You dare to ask for FACTS?

3 Likes

While we do have many employees that were born in China and work with Chinese manufacturers, we are an American company based in the Seattle area and our series A funding was from an American company.

We would not ask you to purchase products if you donā€™t feel comfortable with them. We understand how personal smart technology can be for many people and itā€™s important to us that folks feel comfortable.

Yes, we do want people to continue to purchase our products. But we also want to treat people how we want to be treated and that includes open and honest communication. :slight_smile:

27 Likes

This is exactly why I bought into Wyze. I was on the phone last night with Lutron sorry but I have some of their products. And the woman that I was speaking to said that they just bought a new house and they were looking for cameras for the inside and cameras for the outside but they couldnā€™t decide on a brand and I said I have just the brand for you and I directed her to Wyze and told her to just wait for the outdoor cameras because they will blow her mind and she will love them Iā€™m sure. I explained to her my indoor camera and the picture of the $20 camera at 1080 P and she couldnā€™t believe it. So you have a Lutron employee that is now a Wyze customer.

7 Likes

Lawrence Livermore labs is not in Pleasanton California it is in Livermore California 10 miles away on the Alameda San Joaquin county borderline I really do understand your concerns but I do believe it is not OK to criticize someone or a company because they have employees that are not born in the USA personal security should be on the minds of everyone and I do believe Wyze is the company that leans on its customers for their opinion on which direction the company should go there open and honest with us so we should take that in consideration I feel comfortable having a Wyze camera outside of my house and inside my house protecting my family And no Iā€™m not saying I have a Wyze camera in every room just watching my front door from the inside and watching the outside of my house thatā€™s why I cannot wait until they come out with the outdoor cam I will be using it and yes I pre-ordered the lock and will be using that as well and everyone is entitled to their opinion and to voice their opinion just as long as we do it in a respectful and Meaningful Way, God bless you and thank you for the food for thought

5 Likes

Guess we people that need an outdoor location will just carry on using the current Wyze cameras; making sure that they have DC power and are covered from direct rain or snow.:grinning: I have had no problem with the cameras or their responsiveness down to the 10 degrees below freezing that I can get at my location. As you say the issue is about battery powered camera rather than outdoor camera; once battery powered could be used indoors or outdoors. The Reolink Argus 2 is your competition; you want to produce the same of better specs at a lower price point (<$80). Spend some time doing it.:+1:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve 2 Argus 2ā€™s, bought before I found Wyze. They rarely get used. I put together a $15 10 AH battery with a Wyze cam when I need battery operated.
I admit I may have little over indulged in the low price with over 2 dozen cams but at their price point I expected a higher failure rate.
There is no way I could afford 2 dozen Argus 2ā€™s, heck an extra battery cost about as much as 2 V2ā€™s. And with my usage I was swapping out batteries for charging about once a week.

Right now Iā€™ve 4 V2ā€™s outside running off wall warts, and Iā€™m preparing several more.
And @rbruceporter has volunteered as person detection, but I think he would be too expensive for me,

2 Likes

But I am fun to have around or so I have been told. :blush:

1 Like

Viscara, I understand what you are saying, but do we really know where the clouds are located for many video services? Not sure it is always available to the public. As noted if you are uncomfortable with Wyze you can make your decision accordinglyā€¦

1 Like

Good wishes to the community; What ever is best, yes, but I do have some thoughts that, [ {PIR} might be the better way to go, in the full context of all. ///// Please, reconsider and do whatever you feel is best, I do say that I would be OK with better picture images and other associated factors. /// Yes, I want you to do {radiant heat}, if after all is considered; but if battery time length is the BIG concern, I would still go with the {PIR} at the cost of less time via battery, but this is a business and if it seems best to hash it to a {heat ā€¦} so as to satisfy the thinking for commercial reasons, well maybe, but maybe not, Of the 2, I think {PIR} is maybe better. *Just was thinking about this, thank you for a possible reconsideration, again, you have the job, of being the soothsayer on this, ā€˜soā€™', hope all goes well and hope it is ready early 2020. //////// Thanks for letting me, post these thoughts here, and for sure, the best for all of us.

I still think that the outdoor cam should work on mains and/or battery with backup, not just battery operated, that is so limited in my experience.

From another thread:

2 Likes

Great, that will be the winner product!! Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It does. If itā€™s plugged in it will run off the mains while charging the battery. But like any rechargeable battery constant charging is probably not good for it.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve asked @UserCustomerGwen to consolidate all the facts concerning the OC that are releasable to the general public so we could just point questioners to that or maybe they could read and discover by themselves.
Perhaps @WyzeDongsheng could update first post in this thread and IF people could read the thread they would stop posting things like this

which has been discussed umpteen times.

2 Likes

Even if the ā€œknown factsā€ are consolidated, I think youā€™d have plenty of people asking the questions anyway. The other thread has 1300+ posts, this one has over 100, and people often donā€™t look at the original post, just the title and maybe the most recent one(s). I think itā€™s probably an intentional decision, though. Specs can change along the way, so itā€™s better not to release them in an ā€œofficialā€ sense until everything is finalized.

2 Likes

Maybe iā€™m new? maybe iā€™ve never seen the post? Iā€™m sorry i waisted your time , but maybe if you would have taken some time time and read the last posts maybe you would have concluded that somebody before you had already replied to my post! Was the urge to be picky so strong?? ???

I would think in an important thread like this, claiming to be an update on outdoor camera, they could update the thread.
I realize many people in this world of instant social media

But it sure would help decrease the rants about plug in versus battery power.

2 Likes

Built-in UPSes are cool indeed!

Solar would really be the ultimate outdoor external power solution in many circumstances since the entire apparatus can be a self-contained (and sustained) island. Charge & run during the day; expend battery at night.

Or maybe some mini wind turbinesā€¦ :dash:

1 Like