Amazon vs Google hubs

So is there a delay or timeout using a tablet?

Not when using the Wyze app or any app that uses RTSP feeds. But some of the emulators introduce some overhead as well.

I use a cheap no-name 10" tablet as a dedicated cam monitor running Wyze app, there is some delay still, I can hear the real sounds before hearing it from the tablet. There’s no timeout that I can tell but when monitoring a single camera, the app would quit or hang after a few days, in 4-cam view mode it rarely lasts more than a couple of days. I guess reliability would vary depending on the specific tablet’s capability.

Another option is to put the RTSP firmware on your cam and download VLC to a device (it’s available on IOS, Android and PC). I use this setup to cast to my living room TV or just leave an old laptop open and monitor a cam or cams.
You lose some functionality with the RTSP but not bad.

Where can I find more information about this RSTP firmware and VLC ? Sounds interesting.

This should help you get started with the RTSP setup. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for the information. I think I will leave well enough alone then.

2 Likes

You’re welcome! :+1:

1 Like

I have an older iPad Air and use it to run just the Wyze app. You can log in on two iPads and use them as monitors and I have not lost any functions. The shortcuts added to the new us allows quick access. I wish they Wyze had an audible alarm you could connect to sense

I have the audible alarm set up for my front porch cam using the Tinycam app. I can also designate certain areas of the camera’s field of vision that I want monitored. It however requires constant monitoring of that camera. Or it still works if I am sequencing between my cameras. I have a Wyze Sense device that I have not set up yet and I just ordered the Wyze Plug set as well. I guess that I am going to be in a learning curve to see what that will do for me. But I have not decided how I am going to use it yet. I would like for the Sense module to activate a light on my porch and sound the alarm at the same time. I figure that it is going to require the use of the IFTTT app to achieve this.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. I’m still a bit bummed that Wyze cams won’t work flawlessly with one of the two major home hubs :frowning:

1 Like

I can’t say that my Echo Show Gen 1 works flawlessly with my Wyze cams but aside from the 5 second delay, I like it just fine. I do wish there was a way to stop the timeout though. But there again, just a minor annoyance. Like I said before. A 10" tablet with Tinycam seems to be the ticket.

1 Like

Screen burn-in isn’t an issue with LCD displays, as the liquid crystal elements that act as the “valves” to control the light output allowed for each sub-pixel are not themselves emissive.

I suppose if one had a full array local dimming LCD display (which I have yet to see in any tablet, and certainly not any smart display), and one continuously displayed a bright image over one section of the screen and a dark image over another section, there would be loss of brightness from the LEDs in the bright section, but that would take thousands of hours to become perceptible.

I’ve had the same issues with Google hub on my end. It’s instant with my Google nest doorbell, and it should be. I just wish the Wyze connection is faster. Wyze products show up in my Google Home app now (door sensors and cameras) however you cannot view them in the home app.

1 Like

How do you view 4 cameras at once in the Wyze app? I see people mentioning Tinycam, is this a third party app that works with Wyze?

Yes, Tinycam and Tinycam Pro are a third party app available for Android and iOS. It is an excellent app in my opinion for viewing multiple cams at once or sequencing through multiple cams. I bought the Pro version ($3.99) and I think it was worth it for the great features. It can be a little tricky to set up but once all of that is done, it runs smoothly. Here is a link to the website…

https://tinycammonitor.com/

It’s actually only available for Android not Ios unfortunately. There is an similar app called TinyCam on iOS App Store but it’s by a different vendor. Great product though on Android!

If I understand your question correctly, just go into the Wyze app, create a group containing all your cams. After that when when you open the app you will be presented with that group. Tap on it and all your cams will be displayed. Turn the phone horizontally to display 4 cams at once. If you have more cams just scroll to see the rest.

I just bot a nest hub and the wyze software is a pile of crap. Cant get the cams to work on the nest hub. I was able to view the tinycam pro on the hub but cant use voice to view when some one is at the door. Wyze needs to get the software working with google.
Doug

1 Like

Dont yet nest hub does not work well with wyze