Alexa Wyze Skill for Outside North America

@PaulieB Look at it from Wyze’s point of view. They are trying to offer their customers the best product at the cheapest price.
It is clear upon purchase, or at least it was to me, that the Alexa Integration does not work outside the US and that replicating it worldwide will incur costs.
Since the delay in using the US stack is higher than what Amazon permits, it was Amazon who blocked access to the US Servers from outside.
Wyze has said more than once that they are looking at Options of making the service available outside the US but cannot give a timetable.
Don’t blame Wyze if sellers sell a product abroad (even via Amazon) without permission from the company.
I still like my Wyze Cameras, would purchase them again and, knew about the restrictions before I bought them.

Ill say this @EuropeanUser. A global market for your winning product in my opinion is way more valuable that a domestic market competing in the lock business, the fit bit category, the thermometer business. Look at it from other perspective business models, Dunkin And Starbucks bread and butter is coffee. The dont expand with the muffins or the ham sandwich. Their business success is based on coffee. They didnt back their coffee and tried to push 50 other items, driving up research costs, production cost, shipping etc. My point was the support for the Brand itself will dry up outside the US. And maybe Im barking up the wrong tree and they want to stay only in usa. Thats the case dont use a global distribution company without limiting to distribution area

One other point. Amazon isnt buying wyze cams and all their other products from a van down by the river. To insinuate Wyze doesnt know about or approve Amazon distribution is just absurd…

2 Likes

I agree with you regarding all the new products but they do follow the philosophy of Wyze.

As I said in an earlier post, I think the the potential scale of customers outside the USA should outweigh the costs of implementing several stacks for the Amazon App. On the other hand I do not know how many stacks are needed. Although I think you can cover the whole of Europe with one European stack.

Note that Amazon does not sell any Wyze products outside the US but 3rd parties on Amazon do. Amazon is aware of the problem but, as with copyright infringement, Amazon chooses to ignore it until they get sued.

Btw Starbucks is a bad example as they have experimented with coffee machines etc in the odd market or so. Mostly with terrible results.

Advertised as works with Alexa. But the wyze skill is not available in Australia. Fail. Not happy. The box also contains this false advertising. I purchased via Amazon Australia website which shows international products, so descriptions need to be valid for all geographies . Fail. Otherwise a good camera.

3 Likes

If Wyze is not in a position to provide support for non US customers, regarding amazon skill, anytime soon, I will be forced to select another product for my next purchase. You as a company may only sell product to the US but it is readily available to international
customers through Amazon. It is not clear that the skill will not be available for us. And where is IFTTT support? Is it ready yet?

Do you know when this works in Mexico, we are neighbors like Canada :frowning:

I need Alexa skill in México. Just bought two Wyze Cam 2’s because I read on the box “works with Alexa” and wanted to be able to see them trough my Echo Show device, but I was very disappointed (and really mad) when I tried to set them up, only to find out that there is no skill outside the states.

I’m sorry, I don’t have an update for that since it would take infrastructure changes.

Well you need to tell Amazon to stop selling this on their Australian site (and Mexican) saying that it works with Alexa. This is poor form.

We’ve tried. The general stance from them is that once we provide the cameras to US Amazon, that the Wyze Cams are theirs to do with what they please (including shipping internationally). The additional complication is that they copy over the US page for the listing so that’s why there isn’t differentiation.

1 Like

Bummer. That is poor form by them and lazy and likely illegal under Australia law. But it also doesn’t look good for your reviews. Maybe it is worth investing in the additional infrastructure. But I know that would come at a huge cost.

1 Like

Yeah, part of me is glad that I don’t have to be in the position to make those decisions. I’d be bad at it because I’d constantly be like, "Let’s go for it! :smiley: "

2 Likes

Here’s a question regarding the new Outdoor Camera.

Yes, I am aware the Alexa Skill won’t be available (yet) in Europe but I am seriously considering purchasing it anyway.

Unfortunately I can only pre-purchase the Kit without additional Cameras. Since shipping to Germany will be expensive (if at all possible) will Wyze make an opportunity available for us? For the beginning I would settle for just one additional outdoor cam but two is the absolute minimum I need.

So, knowing the restrictions, will you make it possible Wyze?

1 Like

I would like to purchase the new cam to.

I have unused wyze pan cam, because in Italy there is not a Wyze skill available, hope it will be available soon to buy Wyze Cam Outdoor.

@UserCustomerGwen This saga has been going on for nearly 2 years. During that time we have waited, in some cases patiently, for Wyze to deploy a skill for our products. It does not take 2 years to get a skill into Alexa. Wyze has not addressed this at all to its customers and the reasons given here are just rubbish.

Here is Australia consumer law forbids anyone to falsely advertise and Wyze is still enabling Amazon to do this by offering all of your products to them for sale via their Australian web site.

At this stage, I have waited long enough. I want to return my 3 cameras and sensors and get a refund. I’ll go buy cameras that work as advertised (with Alexa). How do i request a refund please?

2 Likes

And UK I don’t really have option to return lock fitted to dooor. The lock is a well made device> you need to find tech investment to get Alexa skilll working in UK ASAP.

I have to post a defense of Wyze here.

Yes, of course it is annoying for us that the Wyze skills are not available on Alexa outside the US. But, Wyze gave us a very long explanation why it is difficult to implement. Furthermore, anyone who checked their website before purchasing a product knew that the skills were only available in the US.

So, stop blaming Wyze but rather the retailer through whom you bought the product for false advertising. Wyze officially does not sell outside the US.

Having said that I want to reiterate a point I made months ago. I am certain that adding Amazon stacks to certain key locations outside the US to implement Alexa does not have to be so expensive. Definitely less than the R&D in producing so many new products.

Identify key locations and settle for the skill only in English. I am certain with UK and Australia you can cover all of Europe and, Australia & New Zealand. Similarly Mexico and Canada should be possible too.

Please do consider us as the additional official market-share outside the US should offset any investment very quickly.

Frankly, it should not be up to us to find a workaround to try to enable a skill that Wyze continue to falsely advertise on their packaging as being available for their products, if they are going to continue to do absolutely nothing about setting this skill up for anyone outside of the USA.

They have had plenty of time to change their packaging and/or put a disclaimer on their Amazon blurb to ensure that non-USA customers understand that the Alexa skill is not available outside of the USA, I would suggest that by looking at this thread Wyze understand what they have to lose by continuing to refuse to service their overseas customers - let’s face it, they just don’t care. Let’s all demand our money back!