Alexa Person detection announcements with wyze cameras

Yes, that works, thanks. I do have a US Amazon account also.
The guy in the video is wrong about something though, it doesn’t change your shipping address unless you want it to. My orders still come to my home address. It just changes your Digital Purchase address for the Kindle store, which I don’t use.

So, this part of Cam Plus doesn’t work for Canadians yet WYZE still charges us the full amount. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

SOLVED

Thanks for the reply.

I tried … using the Messaging/Notification option in the routine. It does send the message to my pebble watch, but did not come through on the wyze band.
(I wear the pebble watch on my left hand and the wyze band on my right),

Also, the routine sending a message/notification only worked once. Nothing after that, either a test play on my phone or a live test with the camera.

However, when the camera does detect a person, I do receive an audio message on both my echo dot and my phone ?

I’ll play around with it a little more.

SOLVED

On my Wyze band, I had to check Amazon Alexa Notifications>Other Applications>Amazon Alexa
(My pebble watch still only showed the notification once, never after… still working on that)

Chas

I thought that was a little weird when he said that. I have multiple shipping addresses on a single amazon in both Canada and US and can easily switch between them at any point.

I’m actually not even sure how often I will use this feature. I feel like it would drive others in my household nuts :sweat_smile:.

It happened to me randomly and not with all of my devices. I haven’t needed to do it for a while, so maybe it’s cured itself?

1 Like

Well I have gotten some complaints. :wink: I don’t care, it’s too good a feature. Also you can tune down which Echoes participate in the announcement for each camera…

My camera monitoring the front door has a lot of people passing in view in a day. Could be 50+ person announcements. 50% of those would be a household member doing gardening, 49.5% would be neighbors walking past/kids playing, 0.5% would be delivery/things of actual interest. Some battles are not worth dying for :rofl:. I might try it out in the winter when there is a lot less traffic.

1 Like

Oh, that’s a bit much. :slight_smile:

Maybe limit PD to a second camera angled down more to exclude people who are farther from your actual entrance area, say limited to 3 to 12 feet back from your door…

1 Like

It’s still an announcement after the event has happened so not sure of the value.

1 Like

Simple for me - the primary value is I know pretty quickly that mail or a package may have been delivered. The lag is conveniently long enough to let some airborne viral particles dissipate a bit by the time I go pick it up. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have a motion sensor next to the camera at the front door which can almost instantly announce any custom phrase (“Person at Door”, “Intruder Alert” etc.) on an echo device when tripped. The functionality has been available for over 6 months now I think. I used it for maybe a week before being coerced into turning it off.

@Customer I want to get the most out of the cam plus subscription so I didn’t limit the camera’s view. Two cameras is over kill for me :grinning:.

1 Like

That’s true, I here Alexa announce “Side yard person” after I’m already in the house :grinning: that’s with Cam Plus on the camera , probably be quicker without that.
On The Blink and Arlo cams I get an announcement from Alexa before I get the notification on my phone And those notifications are quick,

I have a Fire tablet sitting on my desk. Today I timed the lag between my wife leaving the driveway and it showing on the tsblet. 24 seconds. The same when she returned. That’s just the app showing the motion. Not the 12 second clip and the time to process Person Detection. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well , maybe Cam plus doesn’t make any difference , it takes me less than 24 seconds by the time I walk in front of that camera and get in the house

My understanding was that the app doesn’t show anything about the event until after it’s uploaded and processed (including PD CMC CP BBQ WTF IMOK UROK).

Ah, that would make sense, I guess.

If you open up the event tab, trigger a camera and immediately swipe down on the event page the event shows up (in a second or two) but if you try to view it you will get an error. When it’s done uploading/processing the notification comes. That’s how it’s always worked for me on Android at least.

1 Like

Great then I stand corrected, thanks. (This does make it less excusable how long notifications take.)

It would mean this wishlist request should be trivial to satisfy and greatly increase the usefulness of the camera:

That’s how it works for me also

1 Like

My personal theory as to why there is a delay for the notifications is that they don’t want people trying to connect/enter a cameras livestream while it is recording/transmitting. Maybe due to some sort of hardware limitation, the event or camera could fail. I know there have been a few cases where I have been trying to look through the playback on an SD card and the camera freezes. Whenever I manage to reconnect to the frozen camera there will be gap in the continuous recording from when the camera froze.

3 Likes

I didnt know about the annoucement feature on my Wyze Cams.

I have a Wyze Pan Cam, 3 Wyze cam v2s.

2 of the v2s have the person announce feature and 1 doesnt, also the wyze pan cam doesnt.

I have deleted the wyze skill rediscovered and they still dont have the person detection skill and its turned on on call cams.

I am not sure how to make this work on my outdoor v2 which is the main one I want this feature for.

Any ideas? See screenshots.

Kitchen Camera (v2) has the announcement feature which is great, but Master cam (pan cam) and Outdoor Cam (v2), all on latest firmware are missing the feature… why?

cj