Alexa Person detection announcements with wyze cameras

try disabling and then re enabling your Wyze skill

1 Like

Thank you It worked. I was hoping to get the notification via alexa app on my phone.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if you can do that with a camera
I have a routine set up so I get in announcement when the front door opens and I can select my phone for the announcement , by but like I said I donā€™t think you can do that with a wyze camera
EDIT : you can get the notification via alexa app on phone.with a Routine see below

Announcement is on all echo. The way to limit is to disable announcement and to create a routine. Yes Routine are able to trigger on people detected. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

By George you can! Thanks @Frederik. These are terrific and tragically underpublicized features.

Edit: I think you also just solved my problem getting Wyze notifications on one phone/app. I can send the notification to the Alexa app instead. This only works for PD and not motion or sound alerts though.

2 Likes

Yep, I set it up ,

it says, someone is in the front yard :grinning:

and you can select the announcement to be on your phone

2 Likes

You need to make sure that your Wyze devices are able to see that a person is detected. If you can get the notification that a person has been detected with a device, then you should have the option in the detail page of the same device in Alexa. If not, do a discovery. If still not, then delete the device and redo a discovery.
That should do it. We had an issue when testing where Alexa was not taking the new definition of the device (including EventDetectionSensor) and had to delete the device to make it work. The Alexa team is aware of the issue and investigating.

3 Likes

Itā€™s under publicized because Iā€™m still waiting for a green light from someone. We should do a social post and newsletter announcement when I get that green light. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Cool, thanks again. I would suggest you include options for motion and sound detection alerts too. Personally what you have now suits me perfectly but Iā€™m sure others would want those options.

Go to routines ,tap the plus to add a routine, when this happens, then smart home, tap on the camera in the list, tap on person, when (camera name) detects a person, save , then add an action, Alexis says, after that, I used customized, someone is in the front yard, next, then you can go to the bottom choose device and select this device for your phone to do the announcement.
This way you can only select one device for the announcement ,
but you can have it set it up both ways turn on person detection on the camera you can have it announced on your echo devices at home, then also set a routine and get announcement on your phone while you are away, Cool :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Iā€™m in Australia and after going through the discover new devices, although it found none, it now gives me the option of announcing person detected.

2 Likes

Yeah , the motion detection announcements.on Blink are pretty new also

Got it working Thank You.

1 Like

Each time I used the Echo Dot and instructed Alexa to ā€œDiscoverā€, she would reply saying that no new devices were found. I finally deleted the Wyze Skill and all Wyze cameras from ā€œDevicesā€ in the Alexa app. Once this was done I readded the Wyze Skill and was able to discover all my cameras using the app, not the Echo Dot. Then the ā€œPerson Detectionā€ option became available on each camera. The featureā€™s working well. The alert is actually being announced through the Echo Dot before it reaches my Android phone. Hope this is helpful. Thanks HDRock for starting the discussion. I wouldnā€™t have otherwise known this feature existed.

2 Likes

You all know what this means donā€™t ya?
If you have person detection enabled in the wyze app you can set up a routine for each camera to notify you on your phone so it will then tell you what individual camera the person is detected on instead of just one sound notification for all your wyze cameras, thatā€™s even better than a different sound for each camera :grinning:
EDIT: To top it off you donā€™t have to have an Echo device, all you need is the free Alexa app

4 Likes

If this route could also finally trigger an SMS alert (optionally e-mail) that would be cool too. :wink:

Regular notifications haveā€¦ issues.

Still no luck getting it working in Canada

1 Like

Has anyone had issues getting it to announce on an Ecobee? Itā€™s set up as an Alexa device and announcements are on, but itā€™s not showing up under ā€œAnnouncement Devicesā€ in the Wyze menu.

It wouldnā€™t be a big deal, but itā€™s the only Alexa speaker Iā€™ve got - the majority of my house is Google Home.

Assume you mean the Alexa app. Maybe ā€œdo not disturbā€ is on? Apparently itā€™s supposed to work. I also assume youā€™ve followed the advice above about discovering devices, etc. ?

https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012792031-What-are-Alexa-Announcements-and-how-do-I-use-them-on-my-ecobee-devices-

Yeah, my bad, I meant the Alexa app.

Most of the discovery problems above are unfortunately just getting the camera working with the functionality. I was able to get it working immediately by removing and re-adding the cameras, the Ecobee, unfortunately, is not showing up as an announcement device in the camera menu even though it has announcement functionality. Not sure why not.

1 Like