Alexa Person detection announcements with wyze cameras

Sorry to hear. The good news is Dots are often on sale for $25 or less. I’m fond of them. (The new ones even sound good.) Announcements also work with Firesticks.

1 Like

Ah, yeah, but I don’t want to dive into a new ecosystem. I’ve already got a hub, five Google Home Mini/Nest devices, two larger speakers, and a Chromecast audio. Hopefully Google will open up their announcement API one of these days or my Ecobee will eventually be properly recognized as an announcement device.

For reference (in case a Wyze employee takes a look into the issue), I’ve attached what the issue looks like in my app. You can see that the ecobee (An Ecobee4) is detected properly as compatible with announcements in the setting for the Ecobee device, but it never shows up when I try to set it up in the Wyze.

Hold on, I think you’re in luck after all. Try the routine technique WyzeFrederik mentioned - surely that will work for you?

2 Likes

Oh man I feel like an idiot. I saw that, but assumed the routines menu was under the camera dialogue in the Alexa app. Didn’t even think to look in settings. I have it set up and it’s working now. Thanks to you and the original person who suggested it!

3 Likes

Excellent!

1 Like

From what I understand, Alexa can only be triggered with person detection. Unless you are a Cam Plus subscriber, you won’t have access to person detection. Which also means, if you don’t subscribe, no Alexa routine can be triggered by your Wyze cams. If you have opted to use person detection during the testing phase, Wyze is apparently granting you free access to person detection until the end of 2020.

But this still does not allow the regular motion on cameras to trigger an Alexa routine. But here is a way to do this and it’s a completely free solution. I am thrilled as it works perfectly!

IFTTT has never worked well for me …

Interesting but it depends on at least 4 cloud services, Alexa, Wyze, IFTT, and something called Voice Monkey. I would MUCH rather wait to see if Wyze turns on Alexa motion detections first. It seems kind of inevitable.

1 Like

I would also prefer if it was only Wyze + Alexa but the regular motion trigger is not Alexa discoverable. When all cloud services are firing properly, the IFTTT notification is almost instant and always arrives before Wyze cloud alerts. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have a good reason to do all that and set it up

2 Likes

Wyze cam motion triggers I’m getting are mostly from the wind, birds and bugs.
Alexa would drive me crazy all day and night announcing times on the 6 cams I have.

I like the new Alexa Person Detection announcement.
I turned my Wyze cam Motion detection sensitivity to zero (basically off) to reduce the false trips and relay on PD.

1 Like

In my pole barn I have motion detection on, but notifications turned off, I get a lot of bug clips from there.
I do have the person detection announcement turned on for that camera
late last night I got an announcement person detected in pole barn, I say what the hell .
That’s the first time that has happened but it was just a flying bug

You do have LED lights turned off, yes? I highly recommend it. Bug detections down to zero for me. If the place is pitch black I would consider a nightlight to provide enough ambient light for the night vision mode to use.

1 Like

Wow … that scary ! Lol
So far I do get bug detection vids but no false PD Alexa announcement … Yet, knock on wood.

Hum but the only difference with our settings is that I turn the cams motion sensitivity to zero./off.

1 Like

I think one super helpful reason to get announcements setup with Alexa is to receive a verbal warning that your garage door has been left opened for too long. Like so:

I saw and started trying this it a couple days ago, and also noticed that it says that Alexa will feed it to the fire stick as well. I have yet to see that happen on mine. I have received the announcements on my echos but never on the fire stick.

Anyone see or have that working?

Do they have checkmarks when you click under Announcement Devices?

Yes. I have 2 devices and one being my newer fire stick. Both are checked and the other device works fine.

Thanks

At this point mine says, “Error, this device is not currently supported.”.
I am assuming this is related to being in Canada.

1 Like

Until Wyze makes cameras available as a trigger for Alexa, one way to achieve this is to use this process. Works flawlessly. How to Use Wyze Cameras to Trigger an Alexa Routine

1 Like