Alexa Person detection announcements stopped working 2

Here is the cause, a minor, temporary work around, and updates that I have received from Wyze and Amazon.

1. the issue is that cams on the PD program (pay what you want PD) will suddenly be unrecognized by Alexa as PD capable.

2. cams on the Cam-Plus program will always be recognized by Alexa as PD capable, and will not lose that recognition.

3. the only temporary work around is to rename the cams in the WYZE app to another name (simply adding or removing a space suffices), this will immediately cause Alexa to see the cam as PD capable. Note: this is true, even if cams running the RTSP firmware.

4. this temporary fix only lasts a short time before reversion to non-PD capable status again. This will break any Alexa routines using the PD as a trigger, taking them offline, losing any announcement ability.

5. Amazon arranged a three way call with myself and a Wyze Wizard. Amazon stated that this issue is on the Wyze side, not Amazon’s.

6. Wyze followed up with me, verified that my network was perfectly functional and adequate, that firmwares were current, etc. and advised me that they would, once again, advise the appropriate engineers that this issue needed addressing. I have not heard any subsequent updates (2 weeks ago).

Summation:

There is a known issue that causes whatever backend feed to Alexa that allows Alexa to see the Cameras as PD devices to drop out. The issue only effects those on the PD program, not the Cam-Plus program. There are no known fixes at this time.

2 Likes