Alarm Permit in Columbus, OH

I live in Columbus, OH, and have installed my Wyze Home Monitoring a while back. In November I tried to change my Columbus alarm permit to Wyze/Noonlight, but it was not an option on the Columbus alarm permit website. I emailed Noonlight about this and they responded and said they would work on it, but it still has not been resolved. Can someone from Wyze help move this along with Noonlight? I have been paying for the Wyze Monitoring subscription for a while now and it is essentially going to waste because I cannot get it permitted yet.

I don’t work for Wyze, but have you tried talking to the Columbus alarm permit website? Ultimately no matter who speaks, they will be the ones that need to add the option. We can probably come up with Noonlight contact specifics for them, but it sounds like you may already have that.

Have you tried emailing permits@noonlight.com? That’s how I got some information and a fix for Oregon.

2 Likes

I can’t be of any help, but I’m just curious. You have to have a permit for home monitoring?

Yes, that is the address I emailed in November and they said they would work on it.

Yes, many municipalities require it so they can manage the risk and cost of false alarms. The permit fees can potentially offset the dispatches for false alarms. In the case of Columbus it makes it so the first 1 or 2 false alarms are free and then it follows a sliding scale. If you don’t have a permit and there is a dispatch for a false alarm you get fined immediately.

Thanks for the info. I didn’t even think to check before I got mine. It never crossed y mine it might be needed. Now I have no idea if I need that or not and should probably find out. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This is straight from the FAQs on the Wyze Home Monitoring Webiste (buried, but there):

My county charges an annual fee and will fine immediately for false alarms or real ones if you don’t have a permit.

2 Likes