AI detection linked to vehicle motion, or just any vehicle?

My question is this: is the AI detection of things (person, vehicle, pet, package) tied solely to that thing existing in the camera frame, or that there was motion associated with that thing?

I have a Cam v3 pointed out a front window toward my patio, driveway, front yard, and the road.

It seems like every event is tagged as Vehicle because it can see my car sitting static in the driveway. Is this intended?

If a person walks by on the road, this gets tagged as Motion, Vehicle, Person.

So it’s not identifiably different from a scenario where a car drives up and drops off a person. Same tags.

It basically means the vehicle tag is useless because it is on every single video if you have a car in frame, even if that car is parked/static.

I read in other posts that if a person or vehicle is in the frame, moving or not, it gets tagged. The algorithm just notes the presence of the object in the video. Not extremely useful from my perspective. In theory though, if a car or person is moving and the movement causes a recording the tags are correct.

1 Like

When the V3 in the front of my house is interested in swaying tree branches I can drive up the street, get out of the vehicle and walk right in front of the camera and get absolutely nothing in regards to notifications if I just have AI events turned on and all other motion events off.

As long as there’s some motion like swaying tree branches, if there’s a vehicle in view, it will tag the event, “Vehicle”. I have a car parked on the driveway for days and it kept tagging it.

The algorithm does currently tag unmoving vehicles. Think of it this way: I have my cam set to trigger when anything moves about halfway down my driveway. Just like the old days, when a trigger happens, the algorithm evaluates the entire frame. That’s because whether it was a foot or a bumper that triggered the capture, the whole person or car needs to be looked at to determine what happened.

What might be needed as an improvement is to consider if what they ultimately tagged was what actually caused the trigger.

1 Like

If the AI servers are getting the video file and not just stills, it should be possible (trivial really) to determine whether a vehicle was moving across the frame. It may or may not have been the cause of the motion alert but at least it can be determined if it was moving at all. Apparently they are not yet doing this. They should.

Yes, what might be needed as an improvement is to consider if what they ultimately tagged was what actually caused the trigger. I.E. – if it was moving at the time of the trigger, AND touching the detection zone.

1 Like

Yep. “Vehicle Present” tag vs. “Vehicle Motion” tag.

Can’t be vehicle motion only because I already have false identifications where a cloud trips detection at the same time a car is driving by. Has to include being the cause of the trigger (moving and inside the detection zone).

Sure but there will be lots of cases where two things are moving at once. Then again these cameras already nicely track where they’re focused with the green box.

AI detection in the garage. - I want people notifications but really don’t need to know that my car is still in the garage.

It would be great to be able to select which AI events we want notification about.

You already have that in the CamPlus settings…

Thanks Bill. I was looking at the notification preferences for that cam. I didn’t expect (or know) to look at the Cam Plus settings. Not as intuitive as you would expect IMO

If your cam sees a person walk past a parked car in sight it will say person/vehicle, Turn vehicle off in Cam Plus does seem to work. :grin:

Sometimes it does seem to be a guessing game, trying to locate the proper settings to do what you need. :smiley: