After Power Outage Smart Bulbs Turn On And Stay On

Is there a solution to prevent the Wyze bulbs from turning on after a power failure? Just experienced this issue today.

5 Likes

My TP-Link bulbs do the same thing. I’m not sure if that’s standard across manufacturers, or not. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

In order to be used as a standard bulb, if you switch the power off and then on again they will light up.

It would be nice if they would create an option on how you would like the bulbs to react to that, though.

2 Likes

Absolutely need ability to allow bulb to power back up after power failure and allow user to remotely use APP to regain control.

1 Like

I guess it is something we will have to live with until smart technology gets smarter. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I agree completely! I have a second home miles away, with cameras, I can see, if most the light bulbs are on! Hopefully, the app will give me control, to turn them off? Would not want them on, for weeks at a time possibly? I purchased 16 bulbs, probably won’t use them all,however, can’t imagine, not being able to turn, them off?

I’m certain this feature is on purpose. and I want it. If I can’t find my phone or google home isn’t working, I can switch the power off and back on and get the lights on right away.

Yes, that’s annoying if there is a power outage in the middle of the night…but really it is probably a safety feature…safety features can sometimes be inconvenient.

However, I’ve noticed that after they come on…once they re-connect to wifi, they reapply the last settings (so they go off if they were set to off)

You’d have to confirm if that is how it works…I haven’t tested it.

Some product specs or a manual would be nice.

Phillips Hue bulbs have a feature called “Power-on behavior” that lets you choose what happens when power is lost and then restored. There are three choices available PER BULB. The default option brings the light on at full brightness. The second option will use the last color and brightness level. The third is a custom option where you can set the color/intensity of the bulbs.

We chose the second option because that way, if the bulbs are off (at 0%) because we’re sleeping, and we have a power flicker, when power is restored to the bulbs, they’re going to come back at 0% and we don’t get woken up by blinding light. :slight_smile:

So we don’t have to wait for the technology to catch up. We just need Wyze to implement the same feature that Hue bulbs already enjoy.

It’s for this reason that none of my 8 new Wyze bulbs are going to be put in my bedroom. I’m going to stick with my Hue bulbs for our bedroom for now.

7 Likes

This is a sound solution and a good suggestion.

#featurerequest

Definitely a needed request. I switched all bulbs and have been awakened in the middle of the night twice and have come home to all the lights on… not a good thing. Please add this feature!

2 Likes

Actually it’s pretty easy to handle, these non hub bulbs have memory on within for the settings that are saved, adding a variable for a feature like, on power failure behaviour = bulb last state. When the power failure happens, the bulb will turn on and once the bulb loads the settings, will turn off automatically as that was the last state of power.

I need this too. Power failures are not unusual in my neighborhood as there are many trees and sometime power lines get knocked out. We has to remove theWYZE bulbs out of our bedroom because of this. It is a shock at three in the morning to realize both nightstand lights are on BRIGHT.

1 Like

I just tried a workaround. I set a trigger on a bulb that is rarely used in the guest room. I set it so that if it is on for 5 seconds, it will turn off all of the bulbs in my house. Not ideal, but all I have to do is enable the trigger when we go to bed, and if the lights come on in the middle of the night, They will only stay on for a few seconds, give or take how long they take to reconnect to wifi, but I have a battery back up on my modem and router

For me, not having this previous power state resume feature is a deal breaker. It only took one time abruptly waking up at 3am to a brightly lit bedroom for me to take out all my Wyze bulbs and go back to Philips Hue …because Hue bulbs now have the power resume previous state feature (after years of consumer outcry). I hope Wyze can skip the years of waiting and just add this to the next firmware update.

For anyone worried about safety and the commonly used argument of first responders needing to be able to turn on lights from the switch, it’s just as easy to implement a power-interrupt case where clicking the wall switch twice will turn on the light (and is what Hue does).

1 Like

To be fair, we had a 6 hour power outage a month ago and the Hue bulbs did not respect their last power state. I suspect they were without power too long. But that’s okay. I don’t care what the bulbs do after a 6 hour power outage. I care about what they do at 3:00 AM when the power flickers or goes out for a short interval. In those situations, which are far more common, Hue bulbs win hands-down.

1 Like

I agree there is a problem with the Wyze bulbs (not for all but not a rare occassion either).
Have multiple bulbs from various vendors and multiple light switches as well. Wyze is the only bulb that mysteriously goes on, EVEN WITHOUT A POWER OUTAGE.

Today had another fun Wyze experience. Have not clue how these could be related but installed a Wyze Sense this morning and my Wyze bulb in a completely different area of the house went on. The app would not even work to turn bulb off. Had to go to turn manual switch off to turn off bulb.

Guess who gets to spend more time trying to get these to work. :frowning_face:

You definitely need patience with the Wyze products. Hopefully the low costs and fund raising will help them improve their Quality Control.

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines

I have all bulbs installed in my bedrooms set this way. If the power goes out while people sleep, there is nothing important that can’t handle itself when the power is restored. No need to wake everyone up.

Until Wyze supports this option, I won’t use their bulbs in bedrooms. The extra cost is worth the additional WAF.

@moderators since most of this thread seems to be people requesting this feature, it may make sense to move this to the wishlist section. Basically the request seems to be something like “Allow user to choose behavior when power is restored to Wyze Bulb”

If that’s added in the app, the app should probably include a disclaimer that this also affects behavior if the bulb is turned off at a switch. (Since the bulb obviously can’t differentiate between power being cut by a switch or by a power failure)

1 Like

Hello, new member here. I wanted to note that this is a deal breaker. I hope Wyze is listening.

This is a standard feature with other apps such as ewelink where you have the option to resume (state before the power loss), reset or shutoff. All use cases are satisfied.

1 Like