Add More IFTTT Triggers and Actions

I would like to use IFTTT to direct my pan/scan to named waypoints. An example is to point the camera at the door when sensors indicate that it has just opened. (This feature might also be built into the Wyze app for people who only use Wyze sensors.)

As I don’t have much faith in geofencing, and I happens to use Google WiFi, I used that to turn on/off motion detection.

So if my device is connected to Google WiFi, turn off motion detection. If it is disconnected, turn on motion detection. It has work well for me so far.

Not sure if this applies in your scenario.

Adding a 1000 more triggers/functions is not a viable solution. Since IFTTT can only trigger 1 action, this becomes unworkable to the average person without a degree in Comp Sci and for anyone else it is simply not worth the effort of figuring out how to string 5 IFTTT’s together to get a single “event” to happen. I have a Smartthings and have had to create a virtual device for every single thing I might want (Smartthings can obviously turn on multiple switches). So to simply turn down the brightness and change the bulb color to softer I have to set up and trigger at least 6 virtual switches (got 2 bulbs in the light).

It also would have been much more effective if IFTTT integration allowed you to select a bulb brightness of 1-10 and the same for bulb color. I don’t have any cameras but have a dozen bulbs at the moment. I need to add more bulbs but it will not likely be Wyze since the integration is not there and controlling them the way I want is very challenging.

Proper integration with Smarthings (and other hubs, since Wyze is never going to be a control hub) would eliminate most needs for IFTTT.

Wyze makes great hardware for an even greater price. You also need to focus on integration with 2 or 3 of the main hubs out there.

2 Likes

I noticed I cannot use scenes with IFTTT with Wyze bulbs which was extremely useful with other smart bulbs I have owned. This would be nice thing to add to IFTTT actions Wyze service.

I agree to a point with this. It seems like turning from a single widget company (smart cameras) into the general smart automation company they have decided to become requires significantly stepping up the integration game. Right now, Wyze is a smart camera that can be extended with cheap switches, lights and locks. But the functions of the later is crazily limited both within the Wyze universe (the app) and beyond (IFTTT and SmartThings). For example, you can have a switch trigger a camera recording but you have to dig into the switch history (and not the general camera event history) to find the recording. So you get this odd world where recordings from the least reliable triggering mechanism (camera motion) are well organized across all cameras while those from the most reliable sources (physical switches and motion detection) are scattered (you have to click down through each event for each sensor).

But the camera issue begs the question about what the viable solutions are. Once you start putting out a bunch of cameras, you need to have a way to organize what they are doing as a collection. You need to have ways to look at similar things (video clips) side by side (e.g., in the order they get generated). And this is regardless to what triggered them. Otherwise, you have a mess. (And yes, you should be able to trigger video recordings from IFTTT.)

Likewise, once you have automated bulbs then you need to be able to have ways to adjust them all in one place. You need to be able to do things like Hue does and define rooms and scenes and so forth that you can name and remember and then provide ways within the application and ways through the integration channels (IFTTT) to activate those integrated settings. No way should you require users to generate 6 IFTTT conditions plus a mess of Apilio or SmartThings logic to turn on a two bulb lamp. That just won’t fly.

Provide a way to trigger video recordings through IFTTT. Example, start recording from all cameras in the house when sensors indicate something serious might be happening.

Provide a way to save all event videos in one place within the app. (Right now, they are scattered around the app depending upon how they were triggered). Generate an IFTTT condition/trigger when any video is generated.

Alternatively, Provide a way for IFTTT to trigger exporting these videos outside the app (like to the cloud) so that users can build their own solutions for seeing all the videos in one place.

You can use the Alexa app to change bulb brightness and colors as a routine that runs at a particular time, on voice request, when your leave or arrive at a place, et.al.

1 Like

I am still struggling to understand how to make my sonoff mini, that works with eWeklink to be triggered by a wyzecam, i see lot’s of if’s and then’s but i just want something simple and straightforward like wyzecam detects motion then trigger eWelink any help appreciated. Grazie !!

I’m not familiar with Sonoff or eWeLink, but it looks like eWeLink has some actions available in IFTTT. Without an eWeLink account, I can’t see what actions are actaully available, but have you looked at that? You can definitely use Wyze as a trigger.

Go here, click the “If”, and search for Wyze to set the the trigger. Then search for eWeLink for the action. Hopefully eWeLink has the action you’re looking for available. If they don’t, that would be something you should request through them.

Hopefully eWeLink has the action you’re looking for available

Fantastic, many thanks nerdland! it was easier done than said!!
What you can do with that command is endless, a sonoff mini can do anything you want, in my case it will switch a light on as soon as the cam detects any motion, i have the light programmed with the sonoff timer so when it gets triggered it will stay on for about 30 seconds then switch off.
My next plan is to set a cam and a contact to trigger a siren, that way i don’t get false alarms. The siren will go on only if i get both triggers fired,
I have to figure that out !! :thinking:

1 Like

Sounds cool! Good luck. :slight_smile:

I just need to check it out !! Thanks

1 Like

Simple question, after 2 years have any more ingredients been added for ifttt?
Or are the 2 still the only ones?
Sure would love to have a cameraName ingredient for messaging and email notifications

An action to set a wyze bulbs
scene would be nice since as of now you can only adjust either temperature or brightness individually but not both with the same trigger

1 Like

Honestly, the main thing I’d like to see is simply the ability to toggle device states in IFTTT, rather than now where we can only either turn a device on or off. We should be able to toggle the lights and plugs at the very least.

You can get IFTTT to tell you when Wyze adds a new trigger or action.

The service is: IFTTT

The trigger is: New trigger or action published by service

Service name: WyzeCam
(it has to be WyzeCam, not Wyze)

Action: Send me an email
(you might have to set up the email service)

I would recommend leaving the subject and body alone.

1 Like

Not to be confused with motion detection, which is already available in IFTTT via the WYZE service. When you’re home, the motion tracking can be a bit distracting (with the cam following you around all the time) and even creepy to guests. Wish I could have it automatically turn off when I am home via WYZE + Life360 on IFTTT instead of having to do it manually.

I think that people have pointed out before that you could automatically unpower the camera via a smart socket when you arrive.

Hi grahambrdmyr, is it that you want to turn off camera, or just turn off the motion tracking when you’re home. The turn off camera feature already works. I use an IFTTT + Apilio automation to actually track me (well, my phone) and automatically turn the camera on when I leave and off when I get home.

However, I don’t think there’s any support for changing the camera’s detection or tracking modes. I hadn’t thought of doing that and am a little intrigued. For example, today my cleaners came and I decided turn off the panning and motion tracking but leave the cameras pointed out into the room. That let me monitor when they were done but be less intrusive in doing so. I would have loved having a single button to that. Rather, I had to go through all that menu yuck on the app to get it all shut down. Additionally, due to the less than ideal way the app shows the state of these features, I missed one setting and still had a camera doing its dance.

So I would vote for that feature, using IFTTT to adjust tracking parameters.

Michael J.