Add authenticator app(s) for 2 Factor Authentication (2FA)

It’s great to see 2FA offered by phone but I’d prefer the option to use an app instead, e.g. Authy.

1 Like

Please add (at the very least) international SMS 2FA. Services like Twilio allow you to implement this cheaply and easily.

A en even more robust (and easier to implement) solution would be Google Authenticator or Authy, as mentioned earlier. Yubikey support would be even better.

I purchased the cameras on Amazon Mexico and the seller is Wyze Labs, so I’m assuming you’re expanding your sales outside the US. It’s quite unacceptable to sell a product with sub-par security measures on international markets, especially considering how easily IoT cameras are being hacked these days.

Please fix this ASAP.

Hello @bkuri and welcome to the community.

Currently WYZE is not an International company, that may be why they currently do not do that. I know there have been looking to ship to more places as I have seen a big push for Canada, but my guess until they become International they probably would not do things like this.

That is just my opinion though since I am just a user and do not work for them.

1 Like

Hey Jason, thanks for your insight.

As stated before, the cameras were bought in Mexico and the seller is indeed Wyze Labs, so I’m not sure how that doesn’t automatically make them an international seller…

Regardless of where the products were purchased and are currently being used, using an authenticator app such as Google Authenticator would solve the issue entirely for all users on the planet.

1 Like

My vote would be for Authy. I used to use Google Authenticator but ran into problems when my phone broke and I had to get a new one and I couldn’t move Google Authenticator over to my new phone because… well… it’s Google. You know?

2 Likes

This concerns me a bit. I use Google Authenticator as well. What was their reason for not allowing the transfer? Oh, and welcome to the community, @Murray!

This was a couple of years ago so my memory is a bit hazy, but basically I had 2FA set up on a few sites, one of which was AWS. My phone developed a fault and I sent it in for repair and when they returned it they sent a brand new phone. I set up all my apps again on the new phone but ran into a difficulty when I tried to set up Google Authenticator; it was generating different codes to the previous install I had and AWS didn’t recognise it as being from me. The app used to have a “Move to a new device” option in it but that option had been removed in an update, even though the online help still referred to it and said that’s the method to use. At the time I found dozens of people that had discovered this problem and were complaining about it.

I think Google were recommending that you first disable 2FA on the sites you were using and then re-enable it using the Authenticator on your new phone. But I couldn’t get into the sites! Fortunately Amazon have a “Problem with 2 factor authentication” link that you can use where they then phone you up and verify you.

I don’t know if Google ever fixed this problem or made it easier to move Google Authenticator to a new phone, but Authy didn’t have this problem due to the way it worked. After switching to Authy I’ve successfully moved Authy a few times. Also, they offer a desktop app which is handy for when you’re using a desktop PC and don’t want to pull your phone out.

1 Like

my mobile phone number is considered VOIP and many systems do not support it saying it is not a “real” mobile number, when in reality, it is and can be used for SMS fine. I use Republic wireless and Google Voice for my home phone.

A OTP app, like Authy is universal and is the true forum of 2FA.

Thanks for the info. This might change which authenticator I use, but I need to find one compatible with my companies portal. I guess they’ll be getting an email from me.

My personal preference is Duo Mobile but Google Authenticator would be a close second and I’m sure would serve more users… can I get greedy and wish for both?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) for Wyze Web Account

You’d cover off most people’s preference with Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, and Authy. I see no reason not to include SMS? It may be inferior to a dedicated 2FA app, but it would still represent a step in the right direction for users who don’t use 2FA at all.

1 Like

With the current login problems for people using 2FA, due to the potential data breach, this is another reason why 2FA app support makes sense (other then it’s more secure and works no matter what country you are in and doesn’t require mobile connection), as OTP codes work “offline” and are not prone to failure, as no 2FA server is needed.

2 Likes

Please please please add a proper two factor authentication method through an authenticator app. I would be willing to pay more for the feature.

1 Like

Proper security should not be a payed feature.

Wyze need to slow down pumping out new products, and instead have a new focus on security, eg. by starting to offer proper 2FA.

1 Like

BUMP, in light of recent events.

+1 for Authy

2 Likes

If you haven’t already, click the vote button at the top-left. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, did that too!

1 Like

To be honest the “Wyze is not an international company” excuse is wearing thin. Wyze may not be, however US customers travel internationally and when they are away from home is one of the more important times for wanting secure access to their cameras.

So implementing a security solution that does not scale (case in point the fiasco from last night) and only reliably works with a US phone number is foolish. When I travel to Singapore to visit family I swap SIM cards and have a different number. SMS authentication is not functional then. And no I am not an edge case. Lots of folks based in the US travel for business or pleasure.

What baffles me is setting SMS authentication up is actually harder and more costly than an authentication solution. Unless of course they just outsourced it. In which case it’s not very secure is it?

4 Likes