Add a water leak detector

I personally would buy 10 or so of these, just for my house.
I currently have 10 “dumb” ones (ie, not connected. Just loud alarms), and would love to get notifications live if I am gone and can’t hear the alarms.

2 Likes

This idea works great I converted a Wyze sensor to a water sensor using an old phone cord (small 2 strand wire) when the water touches the open wire on the other end it sends an alert.
The ability to add an email also gives me another layer of security!
Wyze%20Water%20Sensor%201|375x500

4 Likes

Cool, glad it worked for you. I am working on a 3D model to standardize the exposed wire side so it holds the wires at a good distance and makes it more easily mountable I will post it when I am done.

5 Likes

Thank You

Solder 2 conductors on the bottom. When you place it on the floor and it connects to to contacts, it would alarm. You would not need a wire lead. Just a suggestion for one style.

Mod Edit: Removed personal information from comment. Please remember when replying via email to remove any personal information from the footer and/or automatic signature. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You would have to make sure that the circuit board itself doesn’t get wet and fry your sensor.

Hello, this is my first time posting.

I would love to see a Wyze Sense sensor for water detection.
The same/similar size to the magnetic sensor is currently available.
For simplicity it could even be one-time use, once it gets wet it has to be replaced.
I could see how testing would be somewhat difficult as water leaks aren’t predictable but I absolutely see the potential for the idea.

Place it underneath the washing machine or in the tray of the water heater,
It detects water and it starts buzzing your phone.

2 Likes

Something like the ooma product

https://my.ooma.com/products/hm_water_sensor?utm_source=MailChimp&utm_campaign=SmartSecurity_Water_20190516_CA_B&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Telo&_vsrefdom=Telo&om_phone=877-621-3786

Hi all! Wyze Sense PM here! Glad to hear you’re all excited about the leak sensor! Question for you: would you want the leak sensor to also have temperature to know if your pipes might freeze? Or are you okay if these are two separate sensors? The tradeoffs have to do with price and how waterproof the sensors are (if they also have temperature they are less resistant to getting wet).

4 Likes

Separate sensors would be my vote… I’d put temp sensors inside and outside… in the fridge, freezer… kegerator… is this sensor in development?

2 Likes

My opinion is does adding temperature increase cost drastically? Because I don’t live in a location where freezing is really an issue. However I have half a dozen + places where I would want monitor for leaks. So if the sensor cost goes up to $10 then 2 separate would be better. Also by having 2 different sensors you could use the temperature sensor almost anywhere like a babies nursery where you could if it gets too cold in the crib trigger the heater. I can think of many separate applications. However if it doesn’t really add much cost and it is a multipurpose sensor I am cool with that. I also would actually like just an open sensor which has screw terminals where the magnetic reed switch is. Then you could have cheap add ons like a water sensor or even a reed switch on a wire for places that are harder to stick the larger sensor. This becomes more complicated with something like temperature where it isn’t simply completing a circuit. That is my two cents

1 Like

Excited about the possibilities, WyzeMike.

I’d vote to keep them separate to control costs and make more waterproof.

I have no need to know what the temperature is in my sump pump pit … but I’d like a waterproof, reusable sensor to check for water.

Same about under a sink, water heater or washer … only want to know if there is a leak, with no need to monitor temperature. Again, waterproof and reusable once probe dries off.

Thanks!

1 Like

I would vote separate.

While some uses might make it nice to have both in one unit, I would guess the majority of uses would require only one or the other. If the costs per sensor stay low you could mount separate water and temperature sensors next to each other for those cases where both are required.

1 Like

Separate.
Even though I live up here in Minnesota, where freezing pipes is actually a serious concern, the price point is the most important thing on a Leak sensor.
This is because most of us won’t be buying just 1 of these.
We will be buying 8-10+ of them.

I will be putting 1 below my Water Heater, 1 near my Sump Pump, 1 under my Water Softener, 1 under my Dish Washer, 1 or 2 under my Clothes Washer, 1 under my Fridge, 1 or 2 under my Kitchen Sink (and food disposal), and then probably 1 under each sink area in our house, and also probably one near/behind each toilet, (Kids plug up toilets!)
Add them all up, and I will be buying at least 10+ of them.
Cheaper the better.

For temperatures, I will be happy to buy a separate sensor, where I might only buy 1-2 at most.

Being mostly Water proof is also very important. Would hate for them to get hit with water, and fail before being able to report back home about the flood/water leak.

PS: I currently have 9 “dumb” water sensors that I picked up on Amazon a couple years ago.
They are fine, and work well, except they aren’t Wifi-enabled, so if there is a leak when we aren’t home, we are screwed.

2 Likes

Hi WyzeMike! I think keeping them separate would be the way to go, I picture these sitting around every faucet, valve, hot water tank, and many other places where water could come through the walls from excessive rain, etc… I’ve been dealing with two water leaks from our parents older houses, where the water is coming in through the walls. Both of which they didn’t notice until a lot of damage was done.
They even had sensors sitting there, but it did not pick up the moisture because it was sitting on the carpet and the top of the carpet was dry. (I’m not sure they would have heard them if they did, app notification is the way to go)
Please circumvent that problem somehow by measuring through carpet, or at least the option to add that capability.

1 Like

Separate is fine. I have both in my current sensors and I use it but I also got extra ecobee temperature sensors because I am more interested in the temperature off the floor. Water sensors are the main issue keeping me from discontinuing my security system with it’s monthly bill.

2 Likes

Separate is my vote!

(MOD EDIT: removed personal information from comment)

2 Likes

Separate. If the price point and durability are not compromised, I would say together, but I do not want to compromise on water resistance or pay more. Ideally I would use it to see if my sump is overflowing or if a pipe bursts in my basement. Temperature is not too much of a concern. It might be more effective if a temperature sensor was incorporated into another sensor or device that does not constantly get wet.

Having a wire between the sensor and the contact keeps the electronics out of the water and for me having the sensor behind the washer interfered with the signal so I needed to get it up away from the metal and motor.

Separate, they are different enough functions and the need for a water sensor is in more places than a temperature sensor.

1 Like