5 Minute Cooldown Alternatives

how about an option to get alerts when the camera is triggered, but instead of the 12 second clips, it takes 3 pictures, one second apart from each other ( that would capture a bit of the motion and give you an idea of whats going on similar to the thumbnails now) and those pictures show up where the clips normally would now, in the events tab. you can look at the pictures and if it warrants further investigation, click a link that would then take you to that recording time on the SD card.

this would get rid of the 5 second cool down limitations, give the people who want it, the pictures that have been requested, and clicking them would give you an option to go to that part on the sd card…so you still see the video and it would be simple to navigate to.

or just the ability to get rid of the 12 second clips, get notification alerts on ALL detections without cool down. by clicking the notification it could take you to that area of recording on the sd card and boom, you can see what happens. this would save the servers and people could get all alerts. if person detection would scan sd card recordings instead of clips, that would be awesome too.

win win win.

2 Likes
  1. reduce storage days to 7
  2. After 12 second video record just take a FULL HD PIC very 10 seconds during 5 minute COOL DOWN

I like this concept. Allow shorter cooldown in exchange for shorter storage duration, so that total storage size remains the same. Ideally, the user could choose several options, such as:
14 days storage → 5 minute cooldown
7 days storage → 2.5 minute cooldown
3 days storage → 1 minute cooldown

2 Likes

I don’t understand why there is a 5 minute cool down and 12 second max limit when you store locally. Let me store 100% on my own card, store nothing in the cloud, only send me alert to see video stream (live or recorded) from storage on my device. Is there a technical reason this wouldn’t work?

1 Like

When you connect to your camera and see a live stream, it goes through the discovery, encryption and connection (steps 1, 2 and 3).

If the video came from the camera instead of the cloud, it would have to do all that every time you wanted to look at a motion or sound event.

If you use the SD card you can record continuous 24/7 or you can record every motion event for the entire time there is motion without a 5-minute cool down, the coll down is only on the cloud events.

Would love to hear how to do that. I have local storage on with a 32 gig card set to record events only. I have event settings to detect motion all day. I still get 12 second clips 5 minutes apart.

Ah I figured it out. If you want to see the longer events, you don’t go to events as you would expect. You go to the camera, press playback then scroll the timeline to find the full recordings. This makes me much much happier.

4 Likes

I would sacrifice some of the 14-day cloud event storage in return for a shorter cool down period. For example, 2-minute cooldown coupled to 6 days event storage. Please consider making this a configuration option, OR…

a. Save “markers” on the SD card to point to higher-frequency event clips
b. Offer shorter cooldown with subscription for extra cloud storage.

Thank you.

I feel like this would be a good feature to lessen the notifications that we receive. I like how it is on the outdoor cameras, it would be awesome if it could also be on the pan and cam V2

#wishlist and #roadmap

Event Notifications Cam Plus Lite - Only using internal storage, not cloud

I have three of the V3 cameras on my home and do not want to pay for the subscription, so I purchased the Wyze larger SD cards to go with my cameras. Once setup they force you to use the Cam Plus service for the first 2 weeks, then you have to either pay for it or switch. I have switched to Cam Plus Lite and we are only recording to the SD card, not the cloud.

My issue is that it will only trigger a notification every 5 minutes. I have them set to record all the time, but because of Cam Plus Lite it will only trigger a notification every 5 minutes. If I wanted to use the Wyze cloud for storage, I completely understand having to pay for that service. But I bought the expensive SD cards to go with the cameras so that I would NOT have to use the cloud service. So my cameras are not nearly as effective as they could/should be. AND THIS IS NOT ADVERTISED ON THEIR MARKETING WHEN YOU BUY THE CAMERA!

Wyze - Please allow unlimited notifications in Cam Plus Lite “IF” the user is using their own SD card and not your cloud service. Thanks!!

[Mod Note]: Your request was merged to this topic for consistency in grouping similar requests. Please remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button. Also, please note the following:.

So even though the event is being recorded on my SD card and not the cloud, I cannot receive a notification? That doesn’t make any sense. The triggered event is saved locally, so where is the notification coming from? Even if I upgraded to Cam Plus, I would still save my events locally, but Cam Plus would generate as many notifications as it detects motion.

So that begs the question, why can it not generate a notification? It doesn’t have to do with storage in the cloud. I am guessing this is a tactic to get folks to pay for the subscription. Which if I wanted to save on the cloud, I am totally fine with. But then I would not have purchased SD cards.

As Wyze reported:

Triggered events (and their associated notifications) are cloud-based and completely independent from SD recording.

1 Like

Ok. But again. If nothing from my cams are being uploaded, because they are being saved on the SD cards. Then what is being uploaded to trigger the notification?

If you have nothing uploaded to the cloud (motion detection off), you will receive no notifications. Without notifications, the impetus to review SD card footage is absent.

Again, SD recording (continuous or event) is completely independent from cloud events that are triggered via motion detection. When your cam’s SD recording is set to “On”, your cam records to SD period.

You also have the option to separately record cloud events by enabling motion detection. These cloud events are sent to the cloud. The cloud sends notifications for these events.

If you have Cam Plus applied to a cam, every event will be uploaded to the cloud and you will receive a notification for each. There is no cooldown for Cam Plus.

If you have Cam Plus Lite applied to a cam, an event will be uploaded to the cloud and you will receive a notification for that event. Your cam will then sit in a cooldown state for 5 minutes, not uploading events and thus not sending a notification until the cooldown expires. Keep in mind the cam IS still recording to the SD card during the cooldown, but you have no indication of “events”.

1 Like

I have missed person notification because a car happened to drive by a minute before and triggered a motion event and 5 min cooldown period.

As it is, I’m getting every notification from my nest doorbell for free (albeit only few hours of history, and still images). At this rate I might end up getting Google nest for high traffic areas and keep my Wyze cameras for video history only, via the SD cards.