2.10+ beta App Release - 4/27/2020

When trying to sign up for the emergency button I can’t get past the agree and continue setting. it would not accept my phone number and you will see in the video that I stumbled with that for a couple minutes. Unable to complete these sign up process.

Hmm that’s very weird! I worked fine for me. I am running IOS beta app. Which beta app are you running?

Android pie, version 9.

I’m going to home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wyze-Smart-Home-Starter-Bundle-Includes-Camera-Contact-Sensor-2-Motion-Sensor-Bulb-3-Plug-2-SD-Card-WSHSB/310678790

2 Likes

Hopefully that gets fixed for you!

That’s a great deal thanks!!

Looks like the (1) is in front of the area code. Try deleting the (1) and see if it works.

Hello Frederik!! Like I have said before maybe in the Wyze Services page the user can configure where and what color the button is. Some people may want it red and other want it black. Some may want it everywhere and some may only want the button in one place. If the user could configure where and what color the button is everyone would be happy. I see this as the best option instead of picking what most people want a leaving out the people who picked otherwise.

Just type numbers.
No symbols ( ) -, no +1.

1 Like

Right now, if I buy the items in that pack without the bulbs directly from Wyze, it will cost $65. With the current promo, Wyze gives you one free bulb for every $20 purchase. So I’ll get free 3 bulbs and that’s everything in the starter pack. Better deal!

2 Likes

This is actually a fair question. There are multiple elements that makes it better IMO:
1 - Let’s say you leave in NYC and you are traveling, let’s say you are in Seattle. If you call 911 to report a problem. Which PSAP are you talking to? Right, Seattle. They cannot dispatch first responders in NYC. Most PSAP would actually not give you the phone number to call best on the location of the emergency But let’s say that they are giving you a phone number. NYC PSAP system is pretty intricate so the feedback that has been communicated to me is that there is a big chance that the phone number is not the right one. You have already lost quite a lot of time in already trying to figure that out.
Solution: Having a e911 solution could work that would find the phone number for you and dial it on your phone. That’s an improvement but we can do better than that.
2 - Wyze has some information about your location, so when you click for help, we are providing automatically the location of the home, you would not have to confirm the address. They know where it is.
3 - We potentially have information about the event. For example, if you have a triggered an alarm from an event, we can (we don’t for the first release) send the video footage to Noonlight and they can pass it to the police. So if you are saying there is an intruder and you have a video, this is not just a vague description, this is actual footage that they can use right away.
Now in the future, we will also have temperature sensors. If you call for a fire, then we can send the temperatures that are being detected and the name of the sensor. For example, high temperature in the kitchen, they know it could be grease, gas or else. If High temperature in the bedrooms and smoke, they know they have to go focus on those rooms to make sure that no one is in there. We can also update during the alarm with the changing situations as new events are being recorded. For a fire, it will help understanding how fast the fire is propagating. For an intruder, it can show the last places he has been spotted, what entry point has been used… All of that is done automatically without you having to make any description of what is happening.
That to me is why this is a superior solution overall. One extremely important point is that we are trying to make sure that we are respecting the privacy of our customers. So absolutely no information is passed to Noonlight until you push that emergency button. When it is passed, we will provide the bare minimum and I’m working with them on the next level of protocols for exchanging information. For example, for videos, I refuse to send files. They are too easy to store and being transmitted. Streaming would be how I want to share videos. The link would be killed as soon as the alarm is closed or cancelled. It does not prevent someone to take their phone and record the screen but we are making it more difficult and you have to be more intentional and therefore more liable.

Make sense?

5 Likes

It’s a more complex UX and this is a possibility. We have not done a very good job so far at allowing the mobile app to be customized. So I would need to talk to the Mobile App PM to see how we can influence that and how receptive they re to those changes.

Thank you,

3 Likes

Thank you very much @Frederik. Yes it does make sense.
Your post should be pinned in the Beta area.

You have a small typo in your last post.

I don’t think you meant fart. :slight_smile:

While you are speaking to the Mobile App PM can you ask why Dark Mode seems so difficult to implement?

2 Likes

I fixed it. There is no more fart in my post. :slight_smile:

I can ask him but I would bet this is because of the nature of the mobile app developments. We have multiple teams that are contributing and we have to have all of them making the change in a very consistent manner. This is a significant amount of work and coordination that I think they have not managed to plan for the moment. That’s my educated guess but still a guess!

1 Like

This is all well and good that is if it works and works correctly. Right now you have to admit that there are existing issues to Wyze products that you have not fixed you just come up with “workarounds“.

So I would have to see this system in place for a minimum of a year before I would put my trust in it. I’m sorry but you just have not shown that you’re willing to fix issues and especially something like this-fix the issue quickly.

It’s a nice idea. I think it’s a good addition I just will not trust it or Wyze until it’s been implemented for a year and shown that it is functioning correctly.

Thank you! Hopefully that can be implemented and while they at it maybe we can get some more customization in the app. Thank you!

If you’re going to build a security system, then build that. Don’t require the user to get an alert and push an emergency button.

You already have entry sensors and motion sensors. Now add glass breakage, smoke, heat, CO, water leak detectors, the “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” pendant, and have them be able to trigger an audible alarm, and dispatch the police. And cellular backup for when the burglars or fire cut the Internet.

The alarm system I use has those, and it has a camera that their central station can view (with your prior permission) when they receive an alarm.

I just think your communications infrastructure (WiFi plus the sensor bridge) is too fragile to be a reliable security system. Sensors in an alarm system have a keep-alive, with an alert if they haven’t checked in for a period of time. They can report their battery levels. And the alarm system itself checks in with the central station on a regular schedule.

And some have mentioned the use case of someone not wanting to talk to 911 because an abuser or intruder might hear them. Well, you’ve got this great new Band product, so where’s the Emergency button on it? I hope that’s coming soon.

This sounds very complex. So what your saying is that Noonlight can actually watch live footage from an event to report that to the police? Yes I love that idea!! That is excellent! This is something that SimpliSafe is doing. Sounds like your going to security route on this one. In my honest opinion I think Wyze would make a killing if they had WyzeSecurity and WyzeSmart as two different things. Cameras and an alarm system for WyzeSecurity and everything else for WyzeSmart. Two different app but everything works together.

1 Like

Your choice for sure. I understand.

The thing is that we do some fairly intensive testing and opened up the beta pretty wide and we are not getting most of the issues that people are reporting when in production. So either there is not enough testing or the testing done is not representative enough. Some of the workarounds are because fully addressing the issue is a multi month projects.
Ultimately, you have to do what feels right for you. If you don’t trust us, please don’t use the feature. This is an important feature and you have to be sure that the feature will work when you need it.

1 Like

I’ve done the analysis of what it would take to get to a full security system. This is not a small endeavor. There is already several months of work just to enable the Emergency Button. There is a lot of intricacies behind it.
The reason I did not go for the Emergency Button on the band is that we want to make sure that people are not confusing the home emergency with a personal emergency (location of the user vs the home). I still have in mind that we would create at some point some personal emergency solution. The other reason is that the team was already finalizing the band and we were not ready to do the integration. We also want to see the level of interest before we are investing too much into it.

@jls4wheeler
They can’t for the moment. Two reasons: one is I want to get to WebRTC for the camera. It will help the Alexa integration greatly (faster initial connection and less delay) and Google Home should they decide to adopt WebRTC. It will allow us to not send files which should help with privacy. The other one is that they don’t have that in their APIs just yet. We are talking to them about how we can share information effectively and they have to evolve their platform if they decide to support that feature.

I like the idea of a Wyze Security but I don’t think we can differentiate the system. The sensors that are used for casual functions like chiming when someone comes in and out of the house could be used for intrusion detection. The temperature sensors that are used for making sure that the house is not on fire could be used for temperature regulation by the thermostat. At the same time, if the temperature is falling below 35F in the house, is it a security issue? Probably not, but should you be made aware? Definitely! So you can see that the boundary between those two worlds is very thin,
My goal here is not to say it’s a bad idea because it’s not but it is practically difficult to make happen and we need to be very careful and mindful with the UX.

4 Likes

Hopefully That can happen soon because this is a cool feature!!

Yes I understand! The two systems could work together but I see how it could be difficult!!

Any update on some of the bugs with the emergency button? New version of the app being made?

:cricket sounds: Anyone? What changed or improved with the band and scale UI?