12/24V to USB power supply

Well my CCTV cameras keep crashing so I think my next project is to replace them with wyze cameras and use these adapters to keep the existing wiring. Should work don’t you think

HOMREE DC 8-35V to DC 5V Step-Down Converter Buck Module 12V/24V to 5V 3A 15W USB Output Power Supply Charger (Type c USB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQB6S3L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GOSvEbR7V7C7C

I’ve used those same ones before in my camper to power USB devices from 12v and they work well. Except the one you linked is USB C and you need micro for Wyze Cams which is on the same page. The only problem you may have if you’re plugging the Micro USB version directly into the Wyze camera is if the plastic molding on the plug is too fat for a V2 camera. You could sand it down or use the full size USB port version and then use the Wyze cable plugged into that.

Good catch thank you. I was also thinking of mounting a pan out there what do you think that.

Currently out of stock on the other one so I was thinking of possibly going with this one

j4home DC-DC Converter Step Down Module 12V to 5V Micro USB Power Adapter (Ring Alarm keypad Compatible) Amazon.com

My only issue is figuring out how to wire them in the house side they would be 12 V wires in the house and I would have to get them wired to plug in. If I use the original one and pigtailed it to the wires coming into the house with the USB-C and then just used a power supply to plug into the wall that would work correct?

HOMREE DC 8-35V to DC 5V Step-Down Converter Buck Module 12V/24V to 5V 3A 15W USB Output Power Supply Charger (Type c USB) Amazon.com

And

UL Certified USB Wall Charger, FONKEN 3-Pack 5V 2A Power Adapter universal travel Charger USB Plug Cell Phone Charger for Compatible iPhone, iPad, Google Nexus, Samsung, LG, HTC, Moto, Kindle and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCR29GN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZSTvEbWQ4F55D

Any of those should be fine. If I understand correctly, your old cameras already have existing 12vdc to the cameras, correct? If that’s the case, the HOMREE DC 8-35V to DC 5V would work fine at the camera, but you would have to try and hide the converter. I would probably convert the 12v to 5vdc, splice it into the wires where it starts in the house and then put a USB connector on the camera end of the existing 12v wires and plug that into the camera. Or, depending on where the current 12v supply is, if it isn’t conspicuous then you can get a 5vdc power supply with wire terminals to replace the 12v supply and put a USB connector on the camera end.

Maybe something like this if the current 12v supply is hidden, like in a cabinet or garage, etc?

The wire is ran to the cameras are all in the attic and the two wires come out one is a power and one goes to the DVR it looks just like these two wires here

And there’s a hole in the side of the house where they mounted them it’s about 3 inches around

Ah, For another idea, you can get the male end of those power connectors, I believe they are 5.5mm x 2.1mm and just use them on a 5v power supply . Then on the camera end of the 12v wires, you can use a barrel to USB A adapter like the one in the following link. That way, you can use the standard Wyze USB cable in the camera.
https://www.amazon.com/AAOTOKK-5-5x2-1mm-Connector-Charging-2Pack-USB/dp/B07XZ8NMRZ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=AAOTOKK%2BUSB%2B2.0%2BA%2BFemale%2Bto%2BDC%2B5.5x2.1mm%2BDC%2BConnector%2BCharge%2BBarrel%2BJack%2BPower%2BAdapter&qid=1582754886&sr=8-1

:edited to say, I don’t know why the picture is micro USB, the link goes to USB A:

Or your original idea is cheap and easy using the original 12v power supply as is and the step down converter on the camera end. Either way should be fine.

I’ve got to go down to the basement and see exactly how they wired it because it’s a cluster of wires believe me it’s not professionally done by any means. Although I paid for a professional installation. So once I figure out exactly what I’ve got down in the basement I’ll send you pictures and we’ll figure out what the best way to proceed would be. Thanks for your help man I really do appreciate it

Right now I’m going to take a nap because my head hurts. So I’ll be getting back to you later this evening or tomorrow. I’m not sure what time zone you’re in but I am in central

Eastern time

1 Like

I’m gonna untangle the mess of wires and see what i have in the basement for powering them because I called and he thought they tied them all together.

But I checked eBay. Depending on model # they are still selling for $40-$90 a piece. So they will pay for my Wyze upgrade. That I can sell to the wife. :wink::grin: I’ll be reaching back out to ya soon.

1 Like

What I’m running into is 12v to a wall plug in adapter. The wires in the basement are still 12v regardless of what I do outside at the camera end. I need to to convert the entire run to 5v if I could do that in the basement and plug them in then I’d just need a adapter at the camera end to micro usb. That’s not a problem.

Sounds good. I would just pick a good capacity 5v power supply to replace the 12v plug in one and you should be all set. The one with the wire terminals would be easiest to connect in the basement. Then just pic your choice of USB adapter on the camera end.
That’s nice that you already have the wire in place!

1 Like

So I just went down and checked and they actually are plugged into the wall. It comes out with one wire that is male and has a pigtail with four female ends. I should be able to do the same thing with the Wyze cameras shouldn’t I?

Pictures will probably help. One is of the power supply that plugs into the wall that has a short pigtail that comes out of it. And then that pigtail goes to a four-way splitter that went to the four CCTV cameras. My only concern is that the existing power supply is powerful enough but it should be where it was powering 4 12v cameras and I’m only powering three 5v cameras and I will be using 12 V to 5 V down converters at each camera.

If this all works then all I really need to buy is the cameras and the 12 V to 5 V downconverters correct?

Edit:Matter what I tried I couldn’t get the pictures in order. It should be the power supply then the one with just the end and then you can see the splitter we’re goes out to each for cameras

1 Like

If it was me and I was going to use all the existing wiring for possibly 4 new Wyze cameras, the easiest way would be to use something like this 10 amp 5v supply in the link and connect the 4 way splitter directly to that power supply. At 10 amps, that would in theory be able to supply 2.5 amps to each camera which should also be enough to overcome any loss from the wire length to each camera. Then you would just have to decide on which USB connector to put on the camera end of each wire.

This one would work in the basement with the 4-way connected to it:
https://www.amazon.com/MEAN-WELL-RS-50-5-Supply-Single/dp/B005T6TLMI/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=5vdc%2Bpower%2Bsupply%2Bwith%2Bwire%2Bterminals&qid=1582751376&s=electronics&sr=1-9

And then this on the camera end should work and be plug and play:
https://www.amazon.com/JSER-Female-Charge-Adpter-Tablet/dp/B01787R54Q/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?cv_ct_cx=USB+2.0+A+Female+to+DC+5.5x2.1mm+DC+Connector&keywords=USB+2.0+A+Female+to+DC+5.5x2.1mm+DC+Connector&pd_rd_i=B01787R54Q&pd_rd_r=b79670c7-7af4-4775-b917-e45c61e726aa&pd_rd_w=cBy4O&pd_rd_wg=fwVzX&pf_rd_p=a6d018ad-f20b-46c9-8920-433972c7d9b7&pf_rd_r=GS6HKYV5TYPK338E3W9D&psc=1&qid=1582909469

You would just have to verify that your plugs are indeed the standard 5.5X2.1mm

With those options, the only cable cutting involved would be to connect the 4-way splitter to the power supply and add an AC power plug to the power supply.

1 Like

The four-way splitter is currently connected to the power supply directly. I was hoping the pictures showed that but they apparently didn’t. The power supply has a small pigtail that connects to the four way splitter. And then each Camera connects to the four way splitter. I will only be using three cameras though.

I wish the device that you were showing me had better pictures of wiring it up because that’s the only thing that’s confusing me is exactly how I would wire it up. My way I would just have to use three 12v to 5v downconverters with micro USB ends already on them.

j4home DC-DC Converter Step Down Module 12V to 5V Micro USB Power Adapter (Ring Alarm keypad Compatible) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RDGR9GF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rivwEbZTKEPE5

Oh, your way is perfectly fine, I just know the USB connection on the back of the V2 camera is recessed and not all micro USB connectors fit in it without modification. Some are too fat. I only suggested the larger 5v power supply because you were concerned about the 2 amp rating of the original 12v supply.
Oh, and the way the larger 5vdc connects is you cut the connector off of the 4 way splitter and the wires connect to the power supply with a screw terminal.

1 Like

Gotcha. If the original power supply could run four 12 V cameras surely it can run three 5V cameras. But if not then I will attack it from a different angle. I’ll let you know how it goes buddy. going to place the order right now. Thank you for all your help and I have put the power supply that you have suggested in my list so that if I need to go to it I can easily find it and get it ordered.

Also on your second item wouldn’t I need that to go to a micro USB and not a USB? And I understand your concerns with the micro USB is connecting to the cameras I bought some chords and had good luck so far so hopefully fingers crossed these will work maybe I have to do a little saving on them or something like that but should be here Monday. Now just have to see what the weather looks like on Monday

The micro USB would be ideal and the easiest. If it’s tight, you might be able to sand off a little of the plastic on the cable to make it fit, I’ve done that before. The regular USB A version would just be if you wanted to use the original white Wyze cable.